“Exceptional stay”

and 1 more site!
Jacksonville Inn
Ranked #1 of 8 Jacksonville B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 1, 2012

We stayed one night at the Jacksonville Inn while taking in a concert at the Britt Festival. I've stayed a couple of times in the rooms at the Inn, which are charming, but this time tried a cottage a couple of blocks away. The cottage was spacious and top notch - Large bedroom and living room (with direct TV), and a large bathroom with jacuzzi tub and a kitchen. As for special touches in the room - a bowl of fresh grapes, pears, and oranges; good coffee beans and grinder; and outside, a front garden in bloom with a small table and chairs. Before the show, we bellied up to the bistro bar for a quick bite and even though the staff were busy, took good care of us. Highly recommend the fresh pear and walnut salad! It's a light meal on its own. Then the owner Jerry gave us a lift up the hill, along with a couple of other guests, to the concert. The level of service we enjoyed at the Jacksonville Inn is a rare find. This would make a great launching spot for many adventures in Southern Oregon. My only regret is that we didn't plan For another night here.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Marthapel

Reviewed August 28, 2012

We live nearby in Medford and have dined at the Bistro numerous times. The quality of the food has declined and the prices have gone up beyond any reasonable degree. The service is very casual, although attentiveness of the wait staff is always top notch. The only way we will travel to the restaurant to dine any more is if we have a gift certificate and can't think of anywhere else we haven't eaten recently.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
SadieJville, Owner at Jacksonville Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2012

We have been in business for well over a third of a century. Our line cooks have been with us for many years. We have been using the same recipes for many years and sourcing as much food as possible from local suppliers. The perception of the reviewer that our quality is declining is not born out by the fact that our customer count is increasing every year—even in these difficult times. Every customer is given a comment card, and we consistently get great comments.

Our prices on the Bistro Menu range from $8.50 (salad) to $22.95 (for lamb chops) with an average ticket price of $15.50. With the cost increases of food, there have been some modest but inevitable menu price increases. Many of our regular guests have said that our prices are very reasonable compared to other restaurants of comparable reputation.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

A resident of neighboring Ashland, we have enjoyed several lunches on the lovely patio of the Jacksonville Inn in recent months. So along with friends, we decided to try dinner before a concert at the Britt Festival. We also invited a festival musician we were hosting to join us. We arrived and ordered promptly. Our musician friend arrived 15 minutes later and ordered right away. We all ordered gazpacho which was served shortly thereafter. Then things started to break down.

Four dinners arrived and our server assured us that the fifth (our musician friend’s) would be up in a few minutes, but there was still no sign of it 15 minutes later. By then, we were reaching the limits of our time constraints for arriving at the concert. More time passed and still no steelhead salmon. To her credit, our server, Sara, did everything possible, but when all was said and done, the kitchen was unable to get the food on the table 55 minutes after the order was placed. And when we asked for the intervention of a manager, we were told that Jerry had left the premises. The meal was packed up and deducted from our bill. They could not deduct the embarrassment we felt with an invited guest, who was supremely gracious, but who nonetheless had to scramble to the concert and wolf down dinner backstage. And our disappointment that no one in charge was there to take responsibility and resolve this fiasco in a satisfactory manner.

The Jacksonville Inn considers itself a fine dining establishment and has won many awards over the years. We find the food adequate, but nothing special and enjoy the outdoor setting and convenience. We agree with other reviewers that the patio is charming and will probably go for lunch from time to time. But we will never have dinner there again and suggest you take your business elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank allyn745
SadieJville, Owner at Jacksonville Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2012

I am embarrassed and disappointed that the Jacksonville Inn disappointed Allyn. In the 36 years that my wife and I have owned The Inn, I have been away from the Inn only 156 days; I work seven days per week because I want to guarantee satisfaction. However, I know we are not perfect and can occasionally error, as we did on Allyn’s visit when we did not adequately expedite the meal for the late-arriving guest.

On nights where 150 to 250 guests arrive within one-half hour of each other, all wanting a quick dinner before dashing off to the concert at the same time, we are faced with challenges. We usually handle these situations for our guests seamlessly, but we did not do so with Allyn’s late-arriving guest. For this, I sincerely apologize.

I am sorry I did not get to talk to Allyn’s table; but on extremely busy nights like that night, I am rapidly moving around the restaurant assisting the staff, including washing dishes. I don’t know why the server couldn’t find me, because I was in the restaurant until well after the concert started. I can only say that we have a very caring and talented staff that prides itself on providing complete satisfaction to the greatest extent possible.
When I reviewed this matter with the server the next day, she indicated she was so upset with the outcome at Allyn’s table that she went home in tears.

We have a very caring staff that does its very best to create a memorable dining experience for each and every guest. However, Allyn’s experience at The Inn confirms what we know: we are human and occasionally mistakes can be made.

Reviewed August 3, 2012

My friend and I decided to take a mini trip Thursday Jacksonville to get some lunch. It was a toss up between her favorite place and mine wich lead us almost pulling papers out of a hat when we found our selves infront of the Jacksonville Inn. Having neither of us eaten lunch there before we decided to give it a shot . As soon as we walked in it was nothing but great hospitality +great prices+great food = one really good place to eat at . Highly recommend chicken stir fry and if your looking for something on the wow side sandwich of the day was a masterpiece of it's own and requires a knife and fork lots of napkins and mendatory nap which i found out shortly after lunch . Can't wait to come back ! Oh and my comment card is in the mail on it's way !!!

Thanks for a great time !!!

Joanne

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed April 24, 2012

Charming Inn out of the past with modern conveniences and great dining. We booked it for a 'two nights for one deal' in April, that included a full dining room breakfast, You can't beat that! And it is in this charming old town from the gold rush era, just ten miles from Ashland. Dinner was excellent and was reasonable, as were the drinks and wine and service. Highly recommended

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 5, 2012

This is one of the best places on the west coast. You might think small town not so hot...this is as good as yopu get in the city fantastic wine list great menu and the service is good. Try the Prime rib....great bar and Sunday brunch has entertainment....this is 6 stars...they also have fantastic rooms where the president stayed and a great gift shop

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 18, 2012

I have been eating at the Jacksonville Inn for at least 35 years...every year. That's how much I love it. I travel to Ashland for the Shakespeare Festival every year and since the first time I ate at the Jacksonville Inn, I have not missed a year. In my opinion, this is one of the best restaurants in the Pacific Northwest. The food is exceptional (I've eaten almost every dish on the menu)...their desserts are to die for. The atmosphere is very nice. I love sitting outdoors when it's possible, too. The service is the very best. In fact, one of their staff is a man who used to wait on us at Poppy's Greek Restaurant in Eugene, years ago, though he is no longer a waiter (Jacksonville Inn realized his worth, too). :-) I cannot imagine eating anywhere else and having such a wonderful experience. I kind of hate to tell people how good it is. After all, I would not be happy at missing out on the experience because I couldn't get a table! But if you are anywhere near Jacksonville and have time for a leisurely, enjoyable meal...do try Jacksonville Inn. Oh, and don't forget to try the local wines on their wonderful wine list.

Room Tip: This review is actually about the restaurant, since I have never stayed in the Inn.