“Third Try Wasn't the Charm”
Review of Steamboat Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Idleyld Park
Steamboat Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Idleyld Park B&B and Inns
Palm Desert
“Third Try Wasn't the Charm”
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I've had ambivalent feelings about this resort. I love the setting, but it all seems a bit overpriced for what you get. The room is adequate, but the dinner never lives up to expectations. Last night was no exception. We started off well with an excellent chilled soup. That was followed by lukewarm eggplant, polenta and cooked carrots. The duck was served with a sparse serving of cherry sauce. Duck seemed to be a risky choice for a single entree option. The several couples sitting around me all reacted to the very unusual dessert. It reminded us of a very healthy seedy granola bar. It was quite chewy and dense with a dollop of white topping, similar to whipped cream.
The concept is great--a wine reception. family style dining. I think either the food has to be improved or the prices reduced for me to return.

Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KathyTravel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
nashville
Reviewed October 21, 2010

perfectly enchanting location about an hour from crater lake. we stayed in one of the pet friendly cabins and it could not have been more cozy with its fully stocked fireplace and secluded location. no, it was not a river cabin but still... charming. after a long day traveling we did not partake in the fix price dinner, though the guests we met the next morning at breakfast said it was delicious. the employees were helpful and gracious and we would stay there again in a minute. btw, this inn caters to fly fishermen.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nwdreaming
San Luis Obispo, California
Reviewed August 4, 2010

Definitely ask for one of the river cabins. We didn't see the other rooms, but other guests not in the river cabins said they were not happy with their accommodations - too sparse and no great views of the beautiful N. Umpqua River. Our room was clean, comfortably furnished (fishing lodge style), although not very large, and quiet. The food was good and the family-style dinner was interesting. Staff is very helpful.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed July 10, 2010

Don't want to paint this in a negative light. The Steamboat's location is lovely, right by a roaring, pristine river. The cabins were ultra clean, nice, well appointed with one glaring exception. I know this is Oregon, where hot days can be rare. However, this area CAN get hot and this day it was 101f when we arrived. No air conditioning, no problem. But it would have been extremely helpful to at least have a cheapo fan in the room to move the air out and around. It took us until the wee hours for it get comfortable enough to sleep. However, as I said, hot days here are likely the exception. On a perfect day, the Steamboat would be perfect, I imagine.

One other minor rant. I chose to have the fixed price dinner at the Inn. It is pretty expensive ($50 + tips), but dining options are limited in the area and no cooking facility in the cabin. It was probably just not my night, but here we are on the world famous Umpqua River in Oregon, known for outstanding salmon runs, seafood of all types. What did we have for dinner? Chicken breast wrapped in spinach. I have to say I was more than slightly disappointed, both in what the featured item was and how generally bland everything was. Perfectly cooked, all the sides were cooked perfectly, but there was no snap, pizazz, nothing approached being assertively or even appropriately seasoned. I guess when you hots multiple guests, you want to avoid complaints about "too much seasoning, too much garlic, etc", but coming from a great dining town like Portland, I found things to be far too conservative in both menu choice and prep.

All said, I am guessing I just had an unlucky night when they chose chicken, carrots, a bland fava bean risotto on the menu. I bet they can knock it out of the park on other nights. Hate to complain and as mentioned before, the staff is incredibly kind, professional and timely. And the appetizers, wine choices and dessert was wonderful. I would come back again and only hope that the weather is cooler and the menu choice and prep is a bit more assertive and seafood-centric!

Value? Pretty good. I think all in all it is about 25% higher than it should be, but they are a long way from facilities, so imagine their overhead is higher.

Despite my complaints, it IS a wonderful place to spend a night.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank twoodburn
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed October 14, 2009

I describe it as a trip "back to basics" because this is a small inn located on a beautiful river in Southern Oregon. You will not find digital TV (or a TV at all, for that matter) in the rooms, nor internet hookups. However, if you want to get away, perhaps to enjoy some world famous fly-fishing, a scenic trip to Crater Lake, or just a beautiful mountainous drive, then this is the destination for you!

I brought my beau to this inn for a surprise birthday trip and we stayed in "The Falls" suite. It was super relaxing and we enjoyed the sounds and sights of the Umpqua River falls right from our comfy king-sized bed! The staff even had chocolate toffees and chilled wine waiting for us in the room!

That night, we joined approximately 30+ other guests in the library for appetizers and complimentary wines. We had been advised by others that the establishment was known for spectacular dinners (the appetizers certainly made our mouths water in anticipation of the main event)! The inn also does wine and guest - chef dinners in the spring so we are looking forward to coming back for those nights!

Overall, the remote location was exactly what we were looking for to escape from the city for a weekend and the friendliness of the staff made it feel like a home away from home! If you are seeking a getaway in the mountains (especially with the fall colors) then this is the place for you!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
FL
Reviewed October 9, 2009

The ONLY negative thing I can say about the entire place is that the sink is right next to the bed in the Streamside Cabin. So plan on waking up about the same time. The rooms have lots of real wood paneling, cabinish decor, a cute tiny living room with gas fireplace, wonderful amenities, and the softest sheets you'll ever sleep on. Turns out they're a collection sold by Sears, as we wanted to buy some, but apparently the manufacturer has changed and the quality has suffered recently. The balcony overlooking the stream isn't private. Although the cabins are like duplexes, the balcony out back runs the length of several cabins, so be prepared to meet your neighbors and not walk out to rail at night or you'll be able to see in other people's rooms. Everybody was up early when we were there, so no biggie in the daytime. Cabin is wonderful and pretty and comfy cozy and quiet. The stream is waaaay bigger than you think. There were several fly fisherman staying there wearing the body boots into restaurant. It's a down home place, GORGEOUS maple wood coloring EVERYWHERE with lots of skylights and big picture windows looking out into garden and the food is First Class. Everything we tried we Loved, and it all came with garden flowers adorning it. We wanted to LIVE in that restaurant front room. You have the option to eat inside or out. There's a couple garden tables under the Perfect tree for sitting under, but we took it one step further and took our plates out by the stream and sat on natural seating rocks. It was wonderful. We checked out after eating lunch there, but after visiting Crater Lake we drove all the way back for dinner we liked the place soo much. Staff is fabulous throughout property.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank StewardessFl
Yellow Springs, OH
Reviewed September 28, 2009

We thoroughly enjoyed our 2-night stay in our cabin on the N. Umpqua River. The setting is very pleasant and unique. We had no problems with noise from the adjoining cabins; we also had pleasant conversations with other guests on the back deck over coffee, with the river babbling below us. We did the inn's dinner one night too. My caveat on that is the price, it was easily the most expensive meal of our Oregon vacation, but nonetheless, it was a real highligt of the trip. Something about complimentary wine with the hors deurves, pouring yourself a glass or two at your leisure, really opens up the conversations with the guests standing on your left, sitting on your right, and all over the room. Then we were seated at a long table of 8, a fascinating combination travelers and locals.

The rooms are certainly comfortable, the beds very nice. But there were some things to be desired here. Upon checking in we felt warmly welcomed with luscious toffees on the counter; as well as the back deck, where we spent lots of time, the cabins have a nice indoor sitting area in front of the stove/heater. On our second day though, we felt a bit forgotten as the shampoo and soap had not been replenished. The in-room coffee, was a tasty blend, but featured filters which were way too big for the 2-cup in-room machines. In my pre-caffeine morning fog, this little inconvenience turned larger for me as it caused me to spill grounds on the counter. The information booklet in the room suggests a rather usurious tipping recommendation of 10-15% of the total bill. While there is some logic to this in that there wasn't tipping associated with the dinner, their suggested rate is more like what you would pay on a cruise than in a hotel. In other words, they acted as if they were heaven's gift to their lodgers, but they didn't exactly hold up their end service-wise. The tipping policy also said to tell them directly if anything was lacking, so upon checking out, I mentioned the issue of the coffee filters and they were totally indifferent.

The cabin rooms had a very small bathroom with tiny shower; the sink was right next to the bed. So although we had a great experience there, I can't rate it especially high on value.

We really enjoyed Tigger and El Duchay, the resident cats, who made their rounds of the cabins and lodge each morning.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple