“An excellent choice”

Sunset Motel Hood River
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Hood River
Reviewed February 15, 2010

The Sunset Motel was a great choice, which I was fortunate to have found on the internet. The price was very reasonable, the room was clean and comfortable, and the owner was very pleasant and friendly. The motel is set back, far enough from the main thoroughfare, with no windows facing the traffic, to make this a quiet place to stay. I highly recommend staying here, if you are looking for nicely located, affordable, well-kept lodging, where you can get a good night's sleep and make a couple pots of coffee in the morning.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Sunset Motel Hood River

Reviewed February 9, 2010

A local resident recommended the Sunset Motel on Cascade Ave. on this Super Bowl Sunday. The outside was neat, clean & far enough off the road to be quiet. It is right across the street from a small Safe Way shopping center & just a couple of minutes to downtown and I-84.

I assume it was the lady owner (pleasant and helpful) who checked us in, with a rate of just $55 for 2 people and 2 beds. Didn't know what to expect for that price, but we were pleasantly surprised at the very clean and spacious room.

It had a microwave, frig, coffee pot, comfortable mattresses with fluffy comforters and a nice flat screen TV. Although you don't get breakfast at this price, we didn't miss the usual fattening, fast food type junk food you get at some motels. Instead, we had some good eggs and biscuits a couple of blocks away at the Egg Harbor restaurant, open for breakfast and lunch.

We would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 13, 2009

Margaret, the manager at Sunset Motel and RV park in Hood River is lacking intellegence, very rude and the most uncareing, unhelpful person I have meet in a great while.
We found Mararet to be extremly bossy about where we could park our RV. After miles on the road and many stops at RV parks we have a pretty good idea of what is possible with a 39ft RV towing a 24ft trailer. Not taking our advice she made things as dificult as possible for us. Only once in our two and a half week stay did I see a grounds keeper. The most he accomplished was a quick mowing of the grass. No hedge trimming. No litter pick up around the park (park is littered with wrappers and such). Leveling at most of the sites is next to impossible!!! We had a busy morning and were a measily 3hours late on our check out, Margaret charged us full price for another night. That would of been understandable had we been holding someone up for the site but, as it was the park was more then 75% empty with no one waiting for our unlevel site. The water line broke on the first day of our stay and the water taste like you are drinking out of a garden hose thats been sitting in the sun all day. WiFi service was intermitten at best, and when it was working it was slower then anything else I had ever worked with

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
5  Thank LoveRydes
Reviewed August 10, 2009

Located across the street from a small shopping center, including Safeway.

This is a cozy no-frills motel which seems to be a mom&pop operation. Her demeanor was indifferent to us. Not particularly welcoming but also not rude.

The rooms were clean with windows looking out toward the river. Property grounds are well-kept. Free Wi-Fi was a pleasant suprise.

Panel AC unit, while functioning fine, wasn't ideal since the drapes hangover the vents preventing the air from circulating into the room. Opening the drapes - particularly at night - meant air got in, but also a lot of light from outside. This was a minor inconvinience for us.

There are other options in Hood River, but they all cost a bit more than we wanted to pay. This motel was clean and provided a decent value for the money spent. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Mike G
Reviewed August 10, 2009

The room was mediocre, customer service was terrible and the motel was far off the beaten path. When I left the next morning, I saw that there were plenty of other choices to stay at that were much closer to the freeway. Please look around!!!

I had booked this room 1 month in advance, and told them we would be arriving late. I called 1 day before we left, to confirm and reiterate that we would be arriving no sooner than 10pm. I then called at 7pm the night we were arriving and said we were getting a late start and that we would not be there before midnight. I asked if that would be a problem. At that time, I also said that I would like to put the room on another card than what I had put the reservation under. Both items were not a problem at all, very happy to accommodate.

We arrived at 12:30am, the lady was completely irritated that we were that late, and they charged the room on the first card and refused to change it to the card we wanted to use. Bad experience…

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank dannys58
Reviewed July 24, 2009

After booking a room for a good friend's wedding nearly a week in advance we arrived (3 people) to find that our room had been given away. My reservation was for 2 beds but we were given a room that had only 1. I explained the problem and was told that our room must have been given away and there was nothing the manager Margret could do about it. Though she did tell me that they had another 2 bed room that had not been checked into yet but she couldn't give that room to me because she thought it may have a family coming to it. Evidently a family of 3 ranks above 3 adults. Then to top it off she didn't have any cots for us to use. It was a huge mess and I will never stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank travelingirlOregon
Reviewed April 17, 2009

Very clean hotel just a few minutes west of downtown Hood River (which is not a very big town). Staff was professional and courteous. Room was quite economical, and we were pleased with its cleanliness, and that it also had coffee maker, fridge, and microwave. I believe I was even able to get a good free wireless connection. I would recommend this motel for a quick and simple one-night stay for budget travelers moving through the gorge.

Cons:
Motel-like rough sheets
Door opens right to outside street
Small TV