“excellent value...a surprise option in hood river”

Sunset Motel Hood River
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Hood River
sunriver
“excellent value...a surprise option in hood river”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2012

my wife and i were pleasantly surprised by a quiet, clean room with nice linens at an outstanding price..that translated into a very good value. this is a traditional two story motel that has been recently renovated. it is quite unassuming in appearance and is not a place you would look at twice. However, we discovered it had a nice view overlooking the Columbia River, clean recently renovated room with nice linens, and was quiet. Rooms are small but not tiny. Room charges were very reasonable. Location is good, but cannot walk to downtown. Across the street is shopping center with a safeway and a fuel stop. This is a particularly appealing place during the off season when it's quiet by definition...and during the mid-week.

Room Tip: choose upstairs. end units are appealing as they only have "neighbors" on one side.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank go4th

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Great Falls, Montana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2012

We booked a room here based on the reviews from families that had stayed, We had our kids with us on a family week to the Oregon coast and were returning home after those days in washington and oregon. NEVER AGAIN! First, The room was advertised as a double for 64.00 I expected taxes what I got was an 80.00 deduction from my bank account. Oh well, what 16.00? Right? We then showed up where they did have our reservations ready. Knowing that we were showing up, they should have at least turned the heat on but our room was frigid. with 2 little ones road lagged this was miserable, we decided to turn the heat on and take the kids to dinner when we asked after a family place besides mcdonalds we were reffered to 3 rivers grill. ummm 7 days on the road with 2 kids and we end up having to walk out of a what appeared to be a very formal place. The manager only smiled one time the whole time, we were getting our room. Around 11 our family was treated with about an hours worth of our neighbors extra curricular activities and I was thankful for the loud roar of the heater to drown them out occasionally. Woke up for a shower only to find the toilet backing up we called to get assistance and instead were met with "thanks for letting us know" So I had to go another day with out a shower! And we had to go to the restrooom at mcdonalds! Due to much morning frustrations, no shower and not I was completely out of sorts when we left, that when I got to Kennewick I realized my phone was still at the hotel. So I called when I got home, to see if they could send it on. My phone is a small slide phone and would have cost no more then 3.00 to mail. Instead they made us mail them a flate rate envelope which they just mailed out on wednesday, Meanwhile. I have customers who think I am avoiding them and appointments being scheduled and I can do nothing about it! No customer service from this place...for 80.00 I could have stayed at a chain and next time I will. Beware of this place!

Room Tip: go somewhere else...p.s. no view either.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank TatjannaM

Travelers are raving about these Hood River hotels

Corvallis, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2012

I was charged way more than I feel that this room is worth. The room was very cold when I walked in. It took quite some time to warm it up by way of the heating unit. Then I tried the wi-fi and never did get a working connection. I told the manager about it, and she said that she reset the router. But what she actually did was shut-off the wi-fi to my room, completely. I am fortunate that I am able to access a working wi-fi signal from McDonald's. The manager never smiled at me, once, from the time that I checked-in. I won't stay here, again...nope, I won't.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank RuthieRader
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2011

This is not the place to come if you want to be pampered. It is clean and comfortable, but there is no dvd player, no pool, no exercise room, no tea, hot chocolate or continental breakfast, and no washer or dryer to use. Only some of the surrounding streets have sidewalks, and the property is not walking distance to downtown or the heights neighborhood.
The manager says to keep your dog on a leash at all times, but their dog runs around without a leash in the parking lot. I would say this would be good for business trips only.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank pacificnw23
Meridian, Idaho
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2011

I read all sorts of reviews about this motel, I was a little nervous but finances were tight. This place is great! So much better than I expected. We are traveling with 3 young children. The room is great, clean and amazing for the price! It is right in the middle of town, right across the street there is a bank, safeway and McDonalds! I thought we would be off the beaten path, not at all! We will be back!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Calkins
Boise, Idaho
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2011

My family and I stopped at the Sunset Motel on our way to a family reunion on the Oregon coast. We reserved three rooms but eventually needed four rooms. Margaret Craft, the manager, was gracious and accommodating from the first contact. Would we stay at the Sunset Motel again? ABSOLUTELY YES!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family