“No Frills”

Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Hood River
Portland, Oregon
“No Frills”
Reviewed September 14, 2011

This is not the place to come if you want to be pampered. It is clean and comfortable, but there is no dvd player, no pool, no exercise room, no tea, hot chocolate or continental breakfast, and no washer or dryer to use. Only some of the surrounding streets have sidewalks, and the property is not walking distance to downtown or the heights neighborhood.
The manager says to keep your dog on a leash at all times, but their dog runs around without a leash in the parking lot. I would say this would be good for business trips only.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank pacificnw23

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Meridian, Idaho
Reviewed September 10, 2011

I read all sorts of reviews about this motel, I was a little nervous but finances were tight. This place is great! So much better than I expected. We are traveling with 3 young children. The room is great, clean and amazing for the price! It is right in the middle of town, right across the street there is a bank, safeway and McDonalds! I thought we would be off the beaten path, not at all! We will be back!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Calkins
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed August 24, 2011

My family and I stopped at the Sunset Motel on our way to a family reunion on the Oregon coast. We reserved three rooms but eventually needed four rooms. Margaret Craft, the manager, was gracious and accommodating from the first contact. Would we stay at the Sunset Motel again? ABSOLUTELY YES!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Terrence C
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed July 28, 2011

My husband and I had to go and retrieve some equipment, the trip was not planned, but I got online and found this motel on short notice. We had stayed in Hood River before, but the hotel we had stayed in was full, so I looked for others and came up with this little hotel. I made the reservation, and we kept our fingers crossed. We were coming in about 11:00pm, so we hoped it wouldn't be hard to find. It wasn't. And we hoped that it would be decent - It was great! Directions given were very adequate and very easy to follow. The manager was very nice, even for late in the evening. We went to our room, which was very very clean, nothing fancy, but nice. The room had a nice big flat panel TV in it, but when my husband turned it on, nothing happened. We called the manager, she came straight away to see if she could get it going. She couldn't, so she just moved us over to another room, (she checked on the TV before she moved us over!) The second room was just as clean and well kept, the Flat panel TV was great - and the cable service was excellent. McDonald's was close by in the morning for an early start with breakfast. Would I stay here again? MOST DEFINITELY!

Room Tip: These rooms are all set back from the road, the location is quiet. All rooms have the same amount of...
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Ready-two-go-4it
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed July 1, 2011

I stumbled upon this motel. EXCELLENT. Rates are reasonable. Rooms are clean and very pleasant. View from room of the Gorge is gorgeous. My reception was friendly and very courteous. I suggest you ignore any negative reviews. The pond in the back yard is peaceful. I live in Portland will surely return. ENJOY!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Thelesman
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 25, 2011

I'm injured alone in an unfamiliar beautiful town. I book my two week stay at the Sunset Motel Hood River. It's quiet the beds are extremely comfortable, the rooms are clean, the wifi is great and the staff is lovely. Unfortunate for me I had to undergo Knee reconstructive surgery at the Providence Hood River Hospital. After the operation, the motel staff helped me out so much. If I needed Ice to reduce the swelling in my knee, if I needed groceries since I had trouble walking, If I needed someone to move my bags for me and I never asked anyone for help. They all offered assistance. They truly wanted me to get better from my surgery. It's not a fancy Hotel like the W hotel it's just simple and felt like home. It was like having a family away from home. I love how there's a microwave and a large refrigerator. So you can store plenty of food and beverages and reheat food whenever you like. The view from your window in your room is of the surrounding mountains. It's about a 15 minute walk to downtown which is full of wine tasting rooms and there are a couple of micro breweries that serve great beers. Across the road there is a supermarket that has plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables and a good supply of coconut water, and exotic raw juice's as well as what's typically inside a supermarket. Besides the convenience, the staff, and the room this motel is also extremely affordable. So when you plan your trip you can use all the money you save to do outdoor activities rather than on an overpriced hotel where you only spend your time there when you're sleeping. I would recommend this motel to anyone who needs a comfy place to stay while enjoying all the fun activities the Gorge has to offer!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank jimenezmv
Turlock, CA
Reviewed May 24, 2011

This little 14 room motel was wonderful!! Snow-capped Mt Adams in view, excellent room rate with AAA discount, and a clean, comfortable room. One of the best nights' stay in our 13 day trip.

Room Tip: Use AAA discount.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple