“We All Can't Have a Room With a View”

Best Western Plus Hood River Inn
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Hood River
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 23, 2014

I really like this hotel a lot: it has quite a lot going for it, but there are a few little things here and there that causes me to rate it "very good" as opposed to "excellent." I liked our room. It was spacious, the bathroom was nice, and the whole room was obviously well-maintained. Would I have preferred a river view as opposed to a parking lot view? Of course! But I realize that we all can't have a room with a view. I also really enjoyed the restaurant and eating our breakfast outside with the river to look at. We even had a crazy squirrel to entertain us our first morning. I was a bit disappointed to see how limited our choices of breakfast items were on the menu. The menu was quite varied, but those of us getting a free breakfast that came with our hotel stay didn't have much of a choice. My husband doesn't eat eggs, and he really struggled with what to eat. So, that was disappointing to me. Additionally, as I read elsewhere in other reviews, the hallways do seem a bit aged and need of sprucing up. I think that brings down the experience of the whole hotel visit. If you have a nice room, but the rest of the place is a bit on the ratty side, what does that tell you about the management? I believe this place to be on the brink of being a pretty great hotel, but it has some work to do. I hope they work on dolling up the joint so that what visitors see first is a first-rate place to stay. It has that potential.

Room Tip: Make your reservations far enough in advance that you can get a room with a river view.
1  Thank patty49er
CVHinman, General Manager at Best Western Plus Hood River Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2014

Dear patty49er, We really appreciate you taking the time to review our property, and for pointing out things that would have made your stay even nicer. The reason we have to limit our complimentary hot guest breakfasts is due to prep time of certain menu items. We like to keep our service fast , as many of our guests desire. With the size of our dining room, this has been the best plan we have come up with. Thanks so much for recognizing “our potential.” We are always striving to improve and you’ve offered some very valuable input! Thanks so much! Chuck Hinman - General Manager

Reviewed August 23, 2014

Hood River, Oregon is a beautiful place and the Best Western Plus in Hood River has a great location with wonderful views of the Columbia River. Our room was well-maintained, had a comfortable bed with excellent pillows. Be sure to get a room facing the river. The view from the private balcony is beautiful and relaxing. Our room also had a very large bathroom with a double sinked vanity and a large glassed in shower. I did not eat in the on-site restaurant either for dinner or breakfast. We went down for dinner, but the hostess didn't seem interested in seating us so we went elsewhere. But we did avail ourselves of the laundry room and the printers in the business kiosk to print our boarding passes.

Room Tip: Be sure to get a river-facing room!
1  Thank MJTX15

Dear MJTX15, Thanks so much for staying with us, and for your nice comments on our property and amenities. It’s always great to hear when people enjoy a comfortable bed with excellent pillows. I apologize that our dining room may have been full at dinner, or that our hostess was not attentive enough. I hope you’ll be back some day to enjoy our complimentary served breakfast at Riverside. All the best to you! Chuck Hinman - General Manager

Reviewed August 23, 2014

One of the best two or three options in the area. Very nice restaurant and wine list. Clean rooms, great location and views of the Gorge. Did not have a room with a view but if you can upgrade for a reasonable price I would recommend it. Ask for the "new wing" when reserving your room.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western
1  Thank Brian C

Dear Brian C, Thanks for writing to offer your kind recommendation, and tips for other travelers. We appreciate you taking the time, and hope you’ll be back to visit some day! Chuck Hinman - General Manager

Reviewed August 22, 2014

The first thing that greeted us as we entered the hallway approaching our room was a musty smell that seemed like it was covered up with some fresh spray. Looking down the hallway, I can see the stains in the carpet ... looking around some more I can see some peeling paint, worn out concrete, stains on the garbage can, smelly elevator.

Our hotel room was clean, smelled nice and tidy but that is an expectation rather than a bonus. Whats funny is that entering the old hallway, the old room ... when you walk into the bathroom its totally renovated ... kind of an odd mix of the old and new.

Unfortunately, all of the above left an unfavorable impression on me. I've always felt that how someone maintains their property is a reflection on what I might expect to find inside the hotel room. This is an old building and it shows.This is the 6th hotel we stayed at over the course of a road trip. I felt this was also the worst for value.

I wasn't impressed.

On the other hand, this hotel has a lot of good stuff going for it. Its right on the river overlooking the bridge and has beautiful views which you can enjoy from the outdoor pool, restaurant and half of the rooms. The pool is LARGE, the hot tub is BIG! The pool deck area is HUGE! And the main pool water is WARM! They have a wahsroom and shower in the pool and good sized work out area.

Anyways, we had a satisfactory stay. I'm not sure I would come back.

Room Tip: The east wing rooms are closest to the pool.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family

Dear mickey4264, We appreciate your feedback and we are very sorry you observed some details that didn’t sit right with you. You are right – this is an older hotel property (opened in 1966), however the current owners invest consistently in property renovations and maintenance. That is not an excuse; however, when our guest notices an odd smell or peeling paint. More inspection time for me! If you remember your room number, please email me at chinman@hoodriverinn.com, and I’ll do my best to locate the details you mentioned. Thanks for also mentioning numerous positive things about your stay. Take care! Chuck Hinman - General Manager

Reviewed August 22, 2014

If you can afford it, book the room with the balcony on the executive floor. Large comfortable room and bathroom. Deluxe towels and shower, bathrobes, the whole nine yards. I was reluctant to eat the complimentary sit down breakfast, but both days the food was delicious. Probably the best corned beef hash I've ever had.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
1  Thank Jean M

Dear Mikschfamily, Thanks so much for your review with five dots in all categories, and for your traveler tips on our executive floor rooms. We love it when we hit the marks all-around! We’re glad you enjoyed your housemade corned beef hash, and hope you’ll be back some day! Chuck Hinman - General Manager

Reviewed August 22, 2014

if you want the view, take the river view room. if you want access to a balcony, take the first or the third floor. if you dont care then the second floor has large but sealed windows. the third floor is the executive floor and has spruced rooms with large renovated bathrooms. but the bathroom on the other floor are ok too. more traditional best western. otherwise the rooms are spacious and the beds comfortable. there is the dull noise of the bridge next to the hotel, the highway and the train but if you can see the bridge (lovely) you cannot see the highway and the train from the river view rooms. and the sound may sound like a lot but really it is not. quite bearable with windows open and perfectly ok when they are closed. the pathway and the garden in front of the hotel along the river is quite pretty. pool and spa on the side.. so it keeps it quiet. it is a great place to look at the river, the sunrise and the light at sunset. breakfast is very abundant and caters to all tastes. (yes you can have egg beaters if you are concerned about cholesterol) and is served either inside or on a large deck overlooking the river which makes it so nice. (all meals are actually served the same way). downtown is one exit away , less than 3 minutes by car. parking in town is easy . so being "out of town" as it is described , is not an issue at all. it is actually a blessing. the visitor center and the museum are quite near. i would recommend it (and we staid 3 nights).

Room Tip: my favorite is the third floor, executive room.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear lauremm m, Thank you so much for your detailed review and descriptions of our property. You really captured it, and we appreciate you taking the time to write it. We’re so pleased you enjoyed our setting, location, the views, and our complimentary breakfasts at Riverside. We appreciate you highlighting our green practices, too! We hope to welcome you back soon! Chuck Hinman - General Manager

Reviewed August 21, 2014 via mobile

We booked an executive room and were delighted with it. Spacious, modern, spotlessly clean with a balcony overlooking the river. We borrowed bikes from reception and thought they were great, especially as they were free. We rode along the waterfront which was great, and later we walked along the waterfront into Hood River for dinner - about a mile, no need to drive. There's a proper Starbucks about 50 yards from the hotel. The outdoor pool was lovely with a jacuzzi, and breakfast the next morning was great, oh and to top it all the staff were very helpful and friendly. Top drawer.

• Stayed: August 2014

Dear Warrington_UKVI, How wonderful that you enjoyed your executive room, our location on the waterfront, and your loaner bikes. We’re so pleased you found your experience “top drawer,” and thanks for the five dots in all categories. We appreciate your high recommendation, and hope you can return some day! Chuck Hinman - General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hood River
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#7 of 8 in Hood River
Best Western Plus Columbia River Inn

Been to Best Western Plus Hood River Inn? Share your experiences!