“Understated Oregon”

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Hood River
Washington
“Understated Oregon”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Best Western's Hood River is a trip to experience more than once. The hotel is gorgeous, clean and the rooms are quiet. View of the river, lots of open space around the property to walk, bike, and of course windsurfing and paddle boarding within walking distance. The main part of town is less than a mile away, with many restaurants, breweries, shops and local goodness to wander through. Only an hour outside Portland, OR and easy to navigate from PDX airport or the main freeways.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

CVHinman, General Manager at Best Western Plus Hood River Inn, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Dear TA Friend, We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel and we're delighted to receive your Five Star rating. I love your description, "Understated Oregon" and like to think that our hotel measures up to that standard. We look forward to welcoming you back. Chuck Hinman - General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (647)
Laguna Beach
Reviewed August 28, 2013

This hotel was an eye-opener! It makes every other Best Western pale in comparison! Right next to the river, beautiful views from the rooms balcony's, great room designs and furnishings, outdoor heated pool and huge hot tub. We heard that the restaurant was good, but we had other plans for dinner. Front desk service was also quick and polite.

We used the lovely walking trail from the rivers edge that went all the way to downtown for shopping and dinning options.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear lglilja, Thank you for the marvelous Five Star Review. I'm so pleased that you enjoyed the hotel's design, furnishings and our river front pool and spa. Please do come back and give our Riverside restaurant a try, I think that it too will be an eye opener for you. We appreciate your recommendation and look forward to your next visit. Chuck Hinman - General Manager
Chicago
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Stayed here because of comments on TripAdvisor and was not disappointed. Wish we had planned to stay in this area another night. The hotel was great and the breakfast was exceptional! Make sure you go to the Chamber of Commerce. The advice they gave us helped us plan our day and a half. Did the Fruit Loop (had never heard of it) Mt. Hood and some hiking. Would love to get back when we have a little more time.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

CVHinman, General Manager at Best Western Plus Hood River Inn, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Dear kkOkChicago, Thank you for the Five Star Review of your short stay with us. One day is certainly not enough time to see all that the Columbia Gorge Scenic Area has to offer but you did make a good choice seeking advice from the Chamber. The fruit loop tour opens up many viewing opportunities along the way. We do hope you will travel our way again and when you do, we hope to again be your lodging choice. Happy Travels, Chuck Hinman - General Manager
Rescue, United States
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Compared to our last stay at Hood River, we were as little disapointed. The Room was much smaller and not on the river front as we had requested. The dinner at the resturant was great, but the breakfast menu was much more linited than the last visit.. I'm not sure we would go out of our way (as we did this time) to stay ther again.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Dear Dominic C, Thanks for the review and for taking the time to let me know of your disappointment with your recent stay. I don't know what could have happened that we were unable to accommodate your request for a river view room but I will certainly look into it. Our guest breakfast menu changes seasonally and I'm sorry that this time around you didn't find as many good choices; I will share your comments with our chef. When you are next headed our way, please feel free to give me a call so that I might personally handle your reservations. We look forward to the opportunity to wow you again...... the way we did on your first stay here. Chuck Hinman - General Manager
Couer d'alene, Idaho, United States
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Beautiful room with great river view. Lovely grounds on the riverfront. Restaurant is very affordable , with excellent food. Room service was very fast. Great service in all areas. Staff was very accomodating. Express checkout made it easy to leave quite early (before breakfast was served, so I was unable to try the complimentary breakfast.)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Dear Lori R, Thank you so much for the succinct and sweet Five Star Review. It sounds like all was well from the time you checked in until the time you checked out. I am sorry you missed breakfast. Give me a call......even if you're ever just passing through.......we owe you a breakfast.
Chuck Hinman - General Manager
Arvada, United States
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Beautiful views, but seriously the best part was the free breakfast. Best I have ever had! Best value in Hood River and close to local wineries, attractions, and very easy to find. Staff was relatively helpful, I requested connecting rooms and they made an extra effort to accommodate my request.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

1 Thank Elizabeth T
Dear Elizabeth T, Thank you for the Five Star Review and for shout out about our unique guest breakfast. I agree with you, it's pretty special having breakfast with the breathtaking view of the Columbia River and Gorge as the backdrop. I am pleased to hear that our staff was so helpful in accommodating your request for adjoining rooms. We're very proud of the service they provide and I look forward to sharing your comments with them. We hope to see you soon and btw, our breakfast menu changes seasonally and I can honestly say that our chef never ceases to amaze either me or our guests with his imaginative breakfast choices. Chuck Hinman - General Manager
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Very nice hotel with a great location. We had a river view queen and spent the hour after check-in enjoying a pair of gin and tonics looking out over the river. Very relaxing.

The only real complaint I have is that from the moment we checked in I couldn't shake the feeling that we were at a Best Western. Duh, right? I had just read so many reviews about how nice it is, how it's not like a BW at all, etc., that I was hoping for something with a little more personality, a little less sterile.

And please let me clarify-- there was absolutely nothing wrong with our room, the view was fabulous and we had a very pleasant stay. Heck, even the free breakfast the next morning was quite good, I think I'm just used to staying at smaller places that feel less corporate.

One other thing to consider is that the hotel is just a bit removed from the rest of the town which could be good and bad depending on your objectives. It's certainly nice because the river facing rooms look away from the highway and train tracks that run through town. But personally, I like to be able to set the car down at the beginning of our stay in a town and explore on foot. Specifically, in Hood River, I wanted to hit a few of the microbreweries in town, have dinner and a couple beers and not have to drive myself home afterwards. We ended up walking in to town (a little over a mile) but then elected to take a cab home just because the route back to the BW takes you under the highway through a somewhat isolated area that I didn't want to walk through at night with Mrs. Hencini. Note that there are only a couple cab companies in HR, and I believe only one of them offers 24 hour service. Lolz.

Anyway, if you don't mind driving yourself around at night and are fine with a place that feels like a polished up Best Western, this is a fine choice.

Room Tip: River view queen is the way to go. We were on the ground floor (#129) so we had a little patio with...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Mr. Hencini, Thank you for your review and for taking the time to share your experience with our Trip Advisor friends. One of the great things about our hotel is our spectacular river front location but you're right, one drawback of our location, for some, is that it is not right downtown. Hood River travelers are fortunate though in that there are some good downtown locations to choose from but we think that we offer the best of both worlds with having the scenic walking path to town. We are also the only property in town offering great river views, a full service restaurant and cocktail lounge, a river front pool / spa experience and ample free parking. We hope that we'll have the opportunity to host you again. Chuck Hinman - General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hood River
Hood River Hotel
Hood River Hotel
#6 of 8 in Hood River
Best Western Plus Columbia River Inn

Been to Best Western Plus Hood River Inn? Share your experiences!