“Just Like Coming Home”

Best Western Plus Hood River Inn
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Hood River
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Everyone here is so friendly it feels like family. My room was clean, the bed was comfortable and the wifi was fast and reliable. I especially enjoyed breakfast and happy hour on the deck overlooking the river. My week long stay was fabulous, I will be back.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank scottsdalegolfergirl
CVHinman, General Manager at Best Western Plus Hood River Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2012

Dear Scottsdalegolfergirl, Thank you so much for another glowing review. I am so pleased that you enjoyed so many of the amenities offered here at the Inn. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon. I'm curious, being a golfer girl, have you had the chance to play the beautiful Indian Creek course in Hood River?

Reviewed July 24, 2012 via mobile

I stayed in a room in the suites building.

The room was fine, but the noise from the mechanicals in particular, and other sources both inside and outside the hotel
made for a very poor sleep.

First the mechanicals - the noise the hvac system makes is rediculous - it sounds like there is a lawn mower in the ceiling when it kicks on. I called the front desk and their only solution for me was to tell me to turn it off, so I had to choose between uncomfortable temperature or rediculous noise.

There were also more frequent noises I couldn't identify - not as loud as the a/c, but still annoying.

Second - do not stay in a room fronting the bridge, unless you like the noise of semi trucks grinding up through the gears outside your windows. I knew I didn't have a view, and I was fine with that, I just wasn't expecting the noise.

Lastly, the front desk staff lacks in customer service. I walked up to check in and the person told me I needed to wait while she sorted papers in a box - she wasn't helping another customer - just doing some kind of clerical task that could have waited.

Next time I'll try another place.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank plotman

Dear Plotman, Thanks for visiting with me by phone today and for shedding some light on the noise issue you experienced in your room. We appreciate the opportunity to correct the problem and to personally apologize for your bad experience. Should you have reason to visit Hood River again, please call me so that I might handle your reservation and help to make your next stay a much more enjoyable one.

Reviewed July 23, 2012

We reserved and received one of the riverview/balcony rooms in the new wing. It was great! Balcony and view were superb. We watched the windsurfer school and to the right we could see the action at the pool. Bed was comfy and curtains blocked most of the light. Bathroom, being new, was perfect. Glad to also have a small refrigerator to keep our leftovers. The breakfast choices which came with our room were varied and good quantity. We had a sunny breakfast on the deck at the restaurant, which was nice, as service was a bit slow.

If you can get a room in the new wing and are willing to pay for the view side, you will not be disappointed. (We paid $152 with breakfast with a couple days notice.) If the whole facility was as nice as the new wing, we would have given the hotel five stars instead of four.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear MSanta, Thank you for such a wonderfully detailed review. It sounds like you had a great time during your stay and really enjoyed the overall ambiance of our hotel. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed July 21, 2012 via mobile

We were moving across country for the military and called ahead and reserved a pet room (we were moving with our cat. The lady who took our reservation and put us in a pet room. However, we got there, and were told that they only take dogs in their pet rooms. Stupid policy. So even though we had driven 6 hours that day and even called ahead and spoken directly to someone on the phone, we were being turned away. They did help us find another hotel. Luckily the columbia gorge hotel took pets and had rooms!

Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed July 21, 2012

As always, you seem to pay for the location and the views in Hood River are nice, if you can get a river view room. However, the rooms look like they have not been renovated since the mid-80s and the fireplaces don't work. The food at the restaurant is not that good; nor is the service. Yet it is very pricey. Again, you pay for the views. It is too bad that the owners have not spruced this place up. It could be so much more cozy. I doubt that I would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
CVHinman, General Manager at Best Western Plus Hood River Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2012

Dear Kilarney1, Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel property and I apologize that we did not meet your expectations during your stay. The Hood River Inn has 194 rooms and 121 of those have been renovated in the past three years. It appears to me that you stayed in one of the remaining 73 rooms that were last updated in 2005 and that we plan to upgrade this next winter season. We appreciate your feedback and will review your comments with our owners. They take their obligation to maintain and improve their property very seriously as evidenced by the many recent improvements like the new swimming pool, spa and exercise room the newly remodeled East wing building that opened on May 1st and the Riverside Restaurant and Cebu Lounge that are favorites of both locals and tourists. We do hope to see you again.

Reviewed July 19, 2012

Overall an average motel. We stayed on the ground floor so it was probably one of the least attractive rooms. Some rooms have views of the river which might be nicer than our room. For the cost I did not think the Best Western Hood River was an especially good deal. The breakfast was better than usual for a complimentary breakfast. The check-in staff seemed less helpful than most. This motel is okay, the rooms are clean, but I will probably try a different motel for my next stay to see if there is a better one or a better value.

Room Tip: Get a room with a river view, or at least on the second floor. Avoid the daylight basement rooms (1...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
CVHinman, General Manager at Best Western Plus Hood River Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2012

Dear WaHiker, Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased that you liked the clean rooms and our unique served complimentary breakfast but I am very sorry that your room location detracted from your Hood River experience. Most all of our 194 rooms offer either views of the river or of the surrounding hills but a very small number of our rooms are as you stated daylight basement rooms. If you'd be so kind as to give us another opportunity to serve you on your next visit to our area, I am confident we can find "view" accommodations to your liking. Please call me so that I might personally handle your reservation.

Reviewed July 17, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for two nights on our northwest coast road trip. The hotel was fully booked due to a concert but so we were given a handicap accessible room. It was a "non-view" room that overlooked the parking lot. The room was clean and comfortable but not as large as I expected to accompdate a wheelchair. The bathroom was very large but I wonder how accessible the bathtub would be - wouldn't a roll in shower be better?
For breakfast we ate in the restaurant and were given a special menu to select from. The food was very good and the portions were large. Much better than the usual BW breakfast buffet.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
CVHinman, General Manager at Best Western Plus Hood River Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2012

Dear SueWSP, I am so happy we were able to accommodate you on a sold out night. Thanks for your kind comments about our restaurant and our unique guest breakfast. My apologies that you felt that space was limited in your ADA room. We do our best to accommodate every guest’s needs and just this past Spring we added 3 new ADA rooms, all much larger and all with roll in showers. I hope that you’ll join us again soon so that we may show you the new rooms and find one to your liking with a view of the river. We look forward to your return visit.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hood River
Hood River Hotel
Hood River Hotel
#6 of 8 in Hood River
Best Western Plus Columbia River Inn

Been to Best Western Plus Hood River Inn? Share your experiences!