“Beautiful location, nice hotel, lousy restaurant.”

Best Western Plus Hood River Inn
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Hood River
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 24, 2011

I have stayed at this place before and had a good experience. This time I had a first floor riverside room which was excellent. There was a free breakfast and a half price second dinner for the three days of my stay included. The Friday dinner was OK except that the restaurant closed at 9:00PM and we were out working on the event we where there for until 9:30PM. That left the option of dinner in the bar with bar menu food. That was OK but one of us had to go to the bar and tell the wait person we were there and needed to eat. The bar was full with a live band there were only two wait staff. Saturday breakfast was Ok and there was an event banquet Saturday evening. Sunday I went for breakfast and was seated. Since I come from a restaurant family I time the service. I was ignored for 10 minutes and then a bus person came and asked if I had been waited on. I told him no and that I was ready to leave. He persuaded me to stay and got a wait person to come. That night I ate in the bar which was mostly empty. The bartender was good and the service was great. I asked about the salmon and was told it was Chinook so I ordered plain cooked salmon instead of the "gormet" offering on the menu. It came with some type of coating on it and overcooked. It was not Chinook but Atlantic farm salmon. I also ordered tomato slices and they cooked them. They also charged more for a glass of wine then I paid at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas when I was there earlier this month. I average about 20 hotel/motel stays each year. Based on past experience, I try to avoid Best Western properties. The Hood River Inn is a great property but their restaurant has changed for the worse since I last stayed there. I am not sure if I will return.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
chas21, General Manager at Best Western Plus Hood River Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2011

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us! Your feedback was very much appreciated as we are always striving to exceed our customer expectations. I was pleased to hear your positive comments about the hotel accommodations but obviously very sorry to hear of your disappointment with our restaurant and cocktail lounge, especially in the quality of the service you received. We typically receive rave reviews about our food and especially about the fresh Northwest salmon. This fall Chinook season we have noticed that the fish more often is lighter in color than in the spring and summer. Being that we have not purchased Atlantic salmon in over three years, I can promise you that the salmon you were served was local. In fact, on most days the fish we serve is caught, cut and served the very same day. I understand your frustrations with the slow service you received and apologize for that. I assure you that your comments have been carefully considered as we continue to improve our product. We regularly do service training and will work towards improving the many areas you noted. We look forward to addressing these areas and continuing to improve our fine establishment. Please feel free to contact me personally at chinman@hoodriverinn.com should you have any further questions or concerns regarding your recent stay or if we can assist you with a more enjoyable future stay.

Chuck Hinman

There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus Hood River Inn

Reviewed October 24, 2011

I just stayed here before Sunday's Columbia Gorge Marathon. The hotel itself smelled clean and recently freshened, my room was spotless and tasteful, and the staff couldn't have been more friendly. The free breakfast was a nice perk, and if I'm ever in Hood River (to sleep) again, the Hood River Inn will be a top choice.

Room Tip: My non-view room had good shades to block the lights in the parking lot, but if you want a view a br...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank NRoePDX
Reviewed October 17, 2011

Spent 2 nights here in river view room. Spotlessly clean, modern room with all the amenities. Had a small balcony which was great for taking photos, but no patio chair for enjoying morning coffee (this may not be practical due to high winds on river). Beautiful new pool and exercise facility. Complimentary breakfast ordered off a menu with table service was the best - so much better than the buffet-style "cook your own waffle" hotels. Don't forget to tip the very efficient, friendly servers. A little out of the way, but a very scenic walking path takes you right into town. Great place for pets and their families. One small complaint - Wireless Internet was spotty and was down for several hours during one morning of our stay. Front desk provided little information regarding status. Want a little more exercise? Walk up the steps to the Big Horse Brew Pub in downtown Hood River for a great beer and views to match.

Room Tip: Go for the river view
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
CVHinman, General Manager at Best Western Plus Hood River Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write such an informative review. We are thrilled to hear that your stay lived up to everything you heard about us. We hope to see back again soon.

Warm Regards,

Chuck Hinman

Reviewed October 16, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. We had a queen bed suite, Room 301 - ground level with a patio, river view, queen bed in a separate bedroom, sofa bed in the living room, free WIFI, fireplace, dining room area, jetted jacuzzi tub, fridge and microwave. All you could ask for and with breakfast included for 4 adults this was an excellent value. The staff were courteous and friendly. The complimentary breakfast was delicious. The pool and hot tub area was also very nice. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 14, 2011

We stayed here one night and enjoyed our short time there. The Inn is very dog friendly and it has a nice restaurant and bar as well as a pool and hot tub. The breakfast options on the deck were very nice. And, an added bonus is the fact that the Inn sits right on the Columbia River. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: For an extra price, you can get a river view room
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 14, 2011

Was in town for one night for a job interview, and was put up here to stay. Great location, but hard to get to with all the construction going on in the area. Was greeted by a friendly front office staff, and quickly given the key to my room in the "West Wing". My room (forgot the number) was the first one on the left off the elevator on the 3rd floor. Awesome room. Yes, it faced the parking lot, but it was twice as big as a standard room due to it being built on the corner of that wing. Quiet, comfortable bed and room. Breakfast was very good and the view from the reasturant was amazing, especially at sunrise. All in all, nice place, great location.

Room Tip: Choose the west wing as it was all recently rennovated and looks great.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 9, 2011

We had a single night stay in Hood River. The hotel wasn't filled so theta upgraded us to a river view, which was very pleasant. We did not have an issue with the bridge traffic. With the curtains closed it was a minimal issue. The full breakfast was very good served in the attractive restaurant.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Hood River Hotel
Hood River Hotel
#6 of 8 in Hood River
Best Western Plus Columbia River Inn

Been to Best Western Plus Hood River Inn? Share your experiences!