“Disappointed”

Big Horse Brew Pub - Horse Feathers & Co.
Ranked #24 of 142 Restaurants in Hood River
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene, Scenic view, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner
Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

Last fall my sisters and ihad a fabulous meal. Nice atmosphere. Came back this week looking forward to sharing with my husband. A greasy smell assaulted you when you walked in the door, then came the smoke. Wait staff looked harried and made us wait couldn't really tell why with empty, clean tables. I don'ti mind waiting just acknowledge our presence.

1  Thank Beth W

Reviewed March 5, 2013

Sometimes after a few hours on the trail, you just need some pub grub and a beer. Big Horse filled that need nicely for me an our party.

We made our stop after the lunch rush on a Wednesday. The house brews were all solid beers - the porter, IPA, Stout, and Irish ale, were all good examples. Nothing too far out there - just good drink.

As for the food, ours all came out hot and tasty. It isn't the fastest kitchen in the country by far. But, we were not rushed, either. I ordered the fish tacos - broiled (not breaded) fish on two flour tortillas with corn salsa and guacamole. Beans and jalapeno corn cake as sides. A good portion size and fresh.

My wife ordered a baked mac and cheese - a rigatoni pasta with spicy sausage and topped with a sprinkle of bread crumbs. Another winner. The fish and chips was a large portion of hand battered fish and waffle fries. The burger (that I did not taste) went over very well with my friend that ordered it.

If I was in Hood River again, I wouldn't hesitate to go back. Our bar made was friendly and full of advice. The slow kitchen put out the fires in our hungry stomachs. And the quality house beer rounded out a very good time at Big Horse.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Has soooo much potential.... My dad brother and I visited this establishment on a whim. We arrived to a wait for a table, so we opted to sit at the bar. Ordered beers all around, the bartender was nice.

After about 30 minutes we decided to order some food. I went for a burger as did my brother, my dad ordered a grilled pizza. We ordered another beer and were enjoying our time and catching up. I realized we had been waiting for over an hour.... Mitch the manager/bartender/kite surfer with a really warm wet suit, had relieved the other bartender. He genuinely apologized, I figured they just lost our ticket or something.

I work in a restaurant and appreciate that these things happen. When we got our food my dad asked to have his pizza nuked because it was cold.... I took 2 bites of my burger, I relate the dryness of said burger to a peat moss pellet, it was Kobe beef too. I can't remember if I was asked how I wanted it cooked, if I was it was certainly supposed to be medium.

Mitch took care of us though. We paid for our beers, he covered the food, even hooked up a chocolate chip and bacon cookie! We ended up staying a playing pool downstairs with some pretty cool guys.

One final note, as we were playing pool, Mitch came downstairs and notified the kitchen that there was going to be a party of 11 coming in shortly, the cooks reply: " Your (expletive) high!". Completely unprofessional and quite frankly just by experiencing his end result (my food), it makes sense.

Suggestion to the owner I met: your cooks are the glue of your restaurant. It holds the excellent service and excellent beers together. It's time to move from Elmer's to gorilla.

1  Thank Tiree920
Reviewed February 12, 2013

A friend and I were on a photo excursion through the Coumbia River Gorge, and stopped in Hood River. The Big Horse Brew Pub looked like a good place, so we hiked up the steps and went inside. We were greeted pretty quickly, and given our choice of table. We selected one right by the window.

The server came over and took our drink order, which was filled quickly. SHe then explained that they had a special that day; a prime rib sandwich. While that sounded very good, I opted for a burger with Swiss cheese and bacon. My friend ordered the special.

When the food was brought over, we commented on how great it looked. The burger was tasty and tender, and had plenty of onions (which I like).

The prime rib sandwich that my friend got was another story altogether. She picked it up and bit into it, and she couldn't bite through the meat. She called the waitress over and was offered a knife. She couldn't cut through the meat. There was a piece of sinew or gristle or something which made consumption nothing more than a pipe dream.

I called the waitress over, and she brought a menu so my friend could reorder. Of course, by this time, I was almost done with my meal. When my friend got her burger, I was already done, so I sat and watched her eat.

I think the most annoying part of the whole affair was that the waitress made a big production of how she had the prime rib sandwich removed from the bill, as if she was doing us some sort of favor. There was never any word from the chef, nor was there any offer to make any concessions or comps on the bill. That would've been their saving grace, but they blew it. Instead, they decided to hang their hat on the fact that they removed an inedible meal from the bill.

Suggestions to the management:

Ensure the meals you're serving can be consumed by a person, and not just an animal with two inch canines and brown fur.

When you serve a bad meal, and your guest's stay is unduly prolonged because of it, step up and take one for the team. At the very least, you should comp the replacement meal. If that's too much for your business to absorb, then you need to rethink being in the restaurant business.

The Big Horse could've saved two customers on Sunday but, instead, they lost two. The sad part is that it could easily have been avoided.

I've heard that there are better places to eat in Hood River. I will definitely seek them out.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

food good,large portions,fair prices,excellent wines,great Irish coffees,Home brews are great, made right under the restaurant.Only regret,forgot to buy a t-shirt,oh well.Enjoy!