“Waste of money--Dont go on Polar Express Train Ride” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mt. Hood Railroad

Mt. Hood Railroad
Ranked #12 of 69 things to do in Hood River
More attraction details
Owner description: Tourist railroad offering 4-hour scenic tours through the Hood River Valley to the base of Mt. Hood on a historic Excursion Train, Dinner Train or Brunch Train.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Oregon
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Waste of money--Dont go on Polar Express Train Ride”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2009

DUMB.. GROOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS hot chocolate.GROSS cookie. Young teens who dont want to be working are there. People are cold. Santa does not look real.
You go "back and forth" on a train ride ..no one tells you want you are doing or where you are going..Cant hear sound very well from speakers, very cold..

WASTE of MONEY!
DONT DO IT!

28 Thank Wagars

clark county
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“polar express...major disappointment”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2009

I wish I would have read some of these reviews before taking this adventure. My husband, I and my inlaws expected alittle magic, maybe we expected too much, but this was more than just alittle disappointing. To start, getting on the train, is was very cold, then once the train was underway, we had hoped the lighting would dim, some Christmas music would start, someone would MC a bit, tell us where and if there were bathrooms, let the kids know we were on our way to the north pole etc, etc. None of this happened. No one talked to us, the ride was slow and bumpy. The train stopped many times, for apparently no reason. We got a little cup of cocoa and 1 cookie. We were all dying of thirst for water! When we supposedly reached "the NORTH POLE" there were a few lights out one side of the train, if you were on the other side, you could barely see anything. There were just a few people waiving at us. Again, no music, no MC, nothing very Christmasy going on! After abouit 5 min it seemed, we started away from the north pole...that was it! We thought there was going to be caroling/singing christmas songs, nope. Elves, nope. santa did finally come on board and made his way thru the crowd with each child and that was fine, but after that was over, we just went straight back to the train station. It couldn't get over fast enough for me. My kids and my most memorable part was drawing pictures with our fingertips on the steamed up windows. I do NOT recommend this trip at all!!

62 Thank pokerface72
Birkenfeld
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Polar Express, Family outing gone bad,”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2009

We were all decked out in our Pj's expecting a great time on the polar express. Getting in the holiday spirit. This train ride was the worse experience that my family has ever had. spending $296.00 for the 12 of us could of gone toward a good dinner. First off it was so hot and stuffy in the train car. The hot chocolate was served cold. Chefs acted like they really didn't want to be there. When the story began the sound system went out and the workers left the car with out finishing the story. So now it was up to the parents to entertain the children. when Santa and the elves got on the train they were suppose to sing Christmas songs back to the station. We ended up singing two songs before they left again. Now we are in the train car with no entertainment again. kids crying and parents trying to entertain them we ended up making paper airplanes out of the sheet music to entertain the children. To top it all off my granddaughter got burnt on the floor heater and no one seem to care. So to sum up my review it is a waste of money and time to go on this Train ride. VERY BAD EXPERIENCE

38 Thank elsiegal
Hillsboro, Oregon
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Polar Express was a waste of time.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2009

Please spend your money elsewhere. This has the potential to be good product but just doesn't do it for us...

Some suggestions for the Mt Hood Railroad ......

- At least have the Engine look like the Polar Express train.
- Have one Conductor “MC” the entire ride. The movie was focused around him. Hire an animated guy who can interact with the kids and announce what each part of the train ride is.....
- Have a loud speaker in the entrance to the Train station, have the Conductor welcome all the boys and girls who are getting on the train. Give a countdown when the Polar Express is going to leave. Put the conductor up on a step stand with the microphone interacting with the children.
- Dress up the outside of the train station. Very dark and disorganized. Maybe even hang a timer to count down timer when the train is leaving.
- Upgrade your speaker system in each of the coaches. What a bad system and we had feedback. Your conductor can give a play by play on when you get to the switchback... make up something that their are lots of moose are in the way of the train...
- Give a countdown to get to the North Pole. You can’t see anything out of the windows so you need to keep the kids entertained.
- When you get to the "North Pole" announce what is going on. The Lights and set were cheesy at best. At least make the lights and the North Pole "magical". The "Columbia River Gorge Hotel" like?
- Your conductor punched my son’s ticket at the beginning of the train ride but didn’t punch out it when he got off the train.
- Some of your elf’s were not interested in being there and were very disorganized. You should have your conductor go through some of the “song book” songs.

People like tradition and word of mouth advertising is huge. This will not be a tradition my family will adopt, nor will I recommend this to any of my friends.

49 Thank RKeizur
Salem Or
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“Sub-standard food and boring scenery”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2009

Wasted $57. today on the Sunday Brunch train. The fruit/pastry platter on the table when we sat down was non-descript and not enough for 2 people let alone the 4 at the table. The entrees were also cheap-buffet quality. The eggs were tasteless, the ham was tough and what were supposed to be rosemary roasted potatoes were actually tasteless over-sauced scalloped potatoes with no discernable spices. The crab cakes were bread stuffing with a miniscule amount of crab. The dessert was sickeningly sweet apple cobbler (and this from someone with a sweet tooth) topped with a teaspoon of whipped cream. The scenery was incredibly boring (ie the fruit crates and warehouses noted on the prior review) Conductor's narration very unpolished. The only good thing I can say is that our waitresses were friendly.

34 Thank hawaii98