“Fun time, bring friends/family”
Review of Mt. Hood Railroad

Mt. Hood Railroad
Ranked #26 of 72 things to do in Hood River
More attraction details
Owner description: Tourist railroad offering 4-hour scenic tours through the Hood River Valley to the base of Mt. Hood on a historic Excursion Train, Dinner Train or Brunch Train.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Reviewed November 2, 2013

We did the Hood River Train ride including the Murder Mystery Dinner. We brought some friends and had a great time. The food served was great. A four course dinner is part of the package. The Murder Mystery was done by some very fun actors. The diners get involved also making it lots of fun. The train travels toward Mt Hood and the scenery is great. We all had a very good time. This was our second time and would recommend it to anyone wanting a good time.

All reviews
in 21 reviews
in 26 reviews
in 17 reviews

Reviewed October 27, 2013

I, like one of your other passengers, booked this trip for myself and my sister and 3 other friends, for my sister's birthday. It's one of the best gifts I think i've ever given her. Thanks so much for a wonderful time. The food was so good...my sister had the salmon, and the rest of us had the chicken...everything was great, and the cheesecake at the end was wonderful. Your staff is very helpful and friendly, and we had such a great time with your cast of characters for the "murder"...We took this trip on Oct. 26th so you must know which of your staff should be credited with one of the most enjoyable evenings I've had in a while. I am a local here, and have never actually riden this before, but rest assured, when I have out of town guests, we will be back. Thanks so very much

1  Thank Gail B
Reviewed October 21, 2013

We live only an hours drive from the Hood River Railroad but it was still one of those well known "near home" attractions that you've never seen. Now, having taken the trip I thing I would pass if the day were not reasonably bright and sunny and the trees were bare.

There is a running narrative about the railroad and the area and the miles and miles of fruit orchards. This is a really relaxing, enjoyable and educational trip even if you have to take more than an hour to get there. Try to make it, as we did, during Hood Rivers annual "Harvest Festival" in October. Can't go wrong. Makes a great weekend.

1  Thank Gary G
Reviewed October 19, 2013

When I booked tickets for my sister and I, I told the clerk that it was my sister's birthday and that I wanted the experience to be extra special. She said it would be and asked me for my sister's name. Boy, did they ever deliver on that promise!

I was not happy when I found out that the brunch train would be a train robbery themed excursion (once you have actually been robbed, a "pretend" robbery doesn't hold any appeal), but I booked the tickets nonetheless. As it turns out, the train robbers were quite playful and charming, and the guy who played Maverick was a real gem. He went from table to table doing tricks and he did one for my sister, which she filmed, and which still amazes both of us.

Maverick had her pick a card from a deck, sign it with a sharpie, and then he shuffled the deck and began to do a trick. Then he stopped and asked her if it was her birthday. He then opened his jacket, pulled out a wallet, which he unzipped, then he pulled out an envelope that said Happy Birthday Laurel. She tore the envelope open and the playing card she had signed was in the envelope. That made her feel special. She is not someone who ordinarily enjoys magic (she is good at seeing the trick), but she was delighted and dumbfounded.

The waitress was incredible--best service of my life. The whole staff sang happy birthday and brought a special dessert. The brunch itself was good. The scenery was nice, and we really enjoyed the stop in Parkdale.

All in all, I would highly recommend this attraction for any occasion for all ages. Really special and totally worth the price you pay.

2  Thank KarenLakeOswego