“Fun Ride and Great Views of Pears & Mt. Hood.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Mt. Hood Railroad

Mt. Hood Railroad
Ranked #12 of 69 things to do in Hood River
More attraction details
Owner description: Tourist railroad offering 4-hour scenic tours through the Hood River Valley to the base of Mt. Hood on a historic Excursion Train, Dinner Train or Brunch Train.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Redlands, California
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Fun Ride and Great Views of Pears & Mt. Hood.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

We enjoyed this train ride from the benefit of the Upper Dome car which was about $45. Coach is $30. However, the views along the 22 mile 2 hour ride was highly interesting and worth the additional price. You saw lush forests, rapids in the Hood River river, old electrical generating plants, and miles of orchards primarily producing pears. Didn't realize Hood River and adjacent areas were so into their pear production crop. As you approach the end of the line at Parkdale, the views of Mt. Hood get bigger and on a clear day, you can see the two main glaciers on the north slopes.

While in Parkdale, you have an hour to visit a museum, an ice cream shop, and a barbeque restaurant that has a special "fast" menu for the train riders. If you come by car, you have a different, more complete menu. When the whistle of the train rings out, you'd better be back on the train in 5 minutes or risk getting left behind.

On the trip down, the "sheriff" comes through the cars as do several magicians doing close up magic. Since we were on the Western Train Robbery excursion, we had been given "funny money." Soon the quite friendly masked robbers came on the train robbing the funny money. Though they had guns, they never shot them, nor pointed them at anyone. It was all done in good fun and the kids of other families enjoyed them. To end it all, the sheriff paraded the "caught" robbers through all the cars to show that crime doesn't pay.

Overall, this was a good 5 hour excursion to see parts of the Hood River Valley that you couldn't see by any other means and the price was just right for the value. This can be fun for young and old alike!

Visited September 2013
Meagan B, Manager at Mt. Hood Railroad, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of the Western Train Robbery aboard the Mt. Hood Railroad. That is one of our favorite events we do throughout the season! Our staff really get into it and make it a fun day for all! We are glad you enjoyed yourselves and hope to see you again on one of our other train rides.

Sparks, Nevada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Love The Train Ride”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

Our ride on the train was a very pleasant experience. With the announcements of particular historic or geography points being pointed out, made for an interesting ride. The hostess
got a kick out of my order for lunch, served aboard, a peanut butter sandwich. Lunch and
beverages were served, after which we made a stop in a small town. The Museum there
was fascinating, FREE with train ticket! The curator explained about the items displayed,
many of which she had personal connections to!
The train personnel were friendly and helpful. From the $35 rail car, to pay the extra
$10 ($45) for the DOME CAR, was well worth it! The ride was a bit much for anyone
sensitive to "Motion Sickness". The train was very reminiscent, of the 23 years I served
aboard ship's, in the U. S. Navy! With "sea legs" I was able to move about the train and
take pictures.
My wife and I enjoyed the experience and are in our mid sixties, but just know anyone
of any age, would enjoy this train ride.
We were on vacation expressly to enjoy the area of The Dalles and Hood River City,
this train ride was on my wife's list, as a must do! I'm sure glad it was.
Thanks Again, "Hood River Rail Road" Staff and Personnel.

A Gleefully Satisfied Customer, Marty

Visited September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your experience aboard the Mt. Hood Railroad. I'm glad you and your wife had a good time and we really appreciate the wonderful photo's you've added to your review! Take care, Meagan and the staff from Mt. Hood Railroad
Pahrump, Nevada
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“wonderful way to spend an afternoon”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

The host spoke over a loudspeaker and told us all about the history and geography of the area. He explained the technicalities of the switchback the train navigated. The friendly, smiling hostess served us lunch and drinks. The view was just stunning from the glass dome car. Worth every penny of the experience.

Visited August 2013
Thank you for joining us on the Excursion Train to Parkdale. I'm glad you enjoyed the trip and hope to see you again in the future!
Beaverton, Oregon, United States
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Polar Express : Great Family Tradition :)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

First of all, I am writing this review mostly because I noticed so many other people were disappointed back in 2009. We did not go this last Christmas, but went Christmas of 2011 (I couldn't select that year for this review) and it was FANTASTIC!!! Maybe they had so many complaints that they realized that they had to fix some things.

We splurged a little and paid for the mid-range tickets: the lower deck of the dome car. The Polar Express music swelled as we were about to start moving. They quickly came around and gave us our official Polar Express mugs, which they boxed up for us instead of using it for our hot chocolate. I was grateful for that, because who wants to carry around dirty mugs? The cookies were delicious and the hot chocolate was yummy! It was fun to look out and watch the scenery pass by.

Then it was time to read the actual book. That was cute. The waiters/waitresses were so nice, I felt they went above and beyond to make our experience great!!

When Santa came around to talk with them and give them their own bells, the look on our children's faces were of disbelief! I even got emotional! :)

All in all, I think the experience was great! I don't think we'd go every year.. probably every other year. In my opinion, the Polar Express is probably best experienced with smaller kids since they are still overwhelmed of the magic of Christmas. However, this year my kids are 10 and 4 and they are still SO excited to go this December! My husband is even excited!!

We are going to go again this year, so I'll submit another review after we go!

Merry Early Christmas!

Visited December 2012
4 Thank Amy W
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience on the Polar Express in 2011. I'm delighted to hear that you and your family enjoyed the trip. We do our best to make improvements every year wherever possible and we look forward to seeing you and your family again this year!
Bend, Oregon
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Murder Mystery...not so exciting”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

My boyfriend and I took a weekend trip to hood river to attend the murder mystery train. For a 30 year old man, he loves trains more than most 4 year old boys. I thought the trip would be a great time to combine what I love, eating and site seeing with his love of trains. I quickly learned how motion sick I get and spent most of the ride in the bathroom. The train stops half way through the journey and I was able to hop off the train and get some anti motion sickness medicine before heading back. This helped make the trip a little more enjoyable. The food however, did not help with my stomach pains. I had the chicken option, he had the steak. Both were smothered in gravy and the vegetable option was stewed spinach. It left much to be desired.
The murder mystery portion of the train ride was also a disappointment. I was hoping for some exciting ride with twist and turns. Instead actors come and sit with you and tell you their side of the story and you have to guess who the murder was.
My boyfriend loved the trip due to his love of trains, he will have to make the trip alone.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Claire I
Meagan B, Manager at Mt. Hood Railroad, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Thank you for joining us on the Murder Mystery Dinner Train. I'm sorry to hear that you had motion sickness onboard the train. That can always make things uncomfortable. I appreciate you taking the time to comment and am sorry that you did not find the food or the Mystery desirable. Take care, Meagan