“Gorgeous colored trees from the dome car” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mt. Hood Railroad

Mt. Hood Railroad
Ranked #12 of 69 things to do in Hood River
More attraction details
Owner description: Tourist railroad offering 4-hour scenic tours through the Hood River Valley to the base of Mt. Hood on a historic Excursion Train, Dinner Train or Brunch Train.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Seattle
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Gorgeous colored trees from the dome car”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

We have often enjoyed this ride up to Parkdale and back but this year we booked the DOME CAR. Wow, how beautiful to see everywhere as we went through orchards of pears, apples and vineyard. The autumn leaves were everywhere...plus there was a "great train Robbery" on the way back to Hood River, we were treated to a gambler/magician and a handsome singing Sheriff!!

Visited October 2012
Meagan B, Manager at Mt. Hood Railroad, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your trip. The autumn colors are amazing this time of year so I'm glad you got to experience them. We have a great cast this season for our Western Train Robbery and we plan on having them back again next season. Again, thank you and hope to see you in the future.

Oregon
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Wish I had read the reviews before buying”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

I failed to look at the reviews at this website (tripadvisor) before purchasing tickets for the Blossom Train ride. Big mistake. The prior reviews do an excellent job of warning what to expect, and my review here summarizes and corroborates the main points made by those others.

If you are an avid train enthusiast, you might find this ride worth your time and money (though there have been many significant problems documented by prior reviewers, including odors and poor facilities). Otherwise, MONEY SAVING TIP NUMBER ONE: drive instead. The "Fruit Loop" brochure is in all the brochure racks in the Hood River area (e.g., in hotel lobbies) and maps out an excellent, self-guided, driving tour. Or you can view the same info as shown in that brochure (and more) at their website http://www.hoodriverfruitloop.com/index.html.

The roads in the Hood River Valley are fine and they access all of the attractive/interesting sites and views in the valley, beyond just those sampled by the very limited course of the train (the views from the train included occasional glimpses of the mountain, but mostly the forest, some orchards, industrial/warehouses, and squalor). When you drive, you get to visit what, where, and for how long you wish (the train trip took five hours total, from when they tell you to arrive at the depot -- to buy your parking pass and pick up your tickets -- until returning to the depot). Also, when you drive, you can listen to music of your choice along the way (the train piped in an amateurishly compiled pirated-mix of songs at volumes that ranged from way too loud to inaudible -- I was grateful for the inaudible ones).

If you choose to buy tickets anyway, MONEY SAVING TIP NUMBER TWO: do not bother paying for the more expensive seats. The conductor makes no effort to enforce assigned seating and many passengers had no problem taking what they did not pay for. Consider how duped you would feel sitting next to someone who paid as little as one third of what you paid for the same seat.

Visited September 2012
4 Thank FourCornersOR
The Hood River Valley is a beautiful place for sure! Those of you that may want to drive your car will be able to take in all the splendor; however when you drive you have to pay attention to the road, traffic, and follow the speed limits which most of them are 45+ mph. The train ride is designed for a relaxing, scenic trip through the valley. The train does travel in areas that you cannot get to by car as well as along some of the highways. Also, there is something to be said about traveling by train where it puts you back in time at a more leisurely pace. Thank you for joining us on the Mt. Hood Railroad.
Cincinnati, Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Possibly good, but not for me.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

The windows on our assigned car were so dirty we could barely see out. The conductor said they added the car at the last minute, but that is not a good excuse if they take your $15. There is no way I know that you can check the equipment before you pay, so you are taking a chance riding this attraction.

Visited September 2012
2 Thank 741BobH
Thank you for riding our Excursion Train to Parkdale. We will do our best to improve on keeping our windows clean so that future passengers will have a more enjoyable trip.
Roseville, California
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Nice trip, great dinner and so so murder mystery”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

Departed a little late but the train was full and things went along OK. The first part of the trip was during the daylight and provided nice scenery action. The rivers, orchards and countryside were all very nice. The meal was very good, professionly served and serviced by friendly staff. The murder mystery was a bit confusing and hard to follow. Last year we went on a dinner train in Fort Meyers, Florida that was easy to follow and get involved with. Not this one.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank nomoretrainsinnv
Meagan B, Manager at Mt. Hood Railroad, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your Murder Mystery Dinner Train trip. The scenery is very beautiful this time of year & the weather has been outstanding. So glad you enjoyed your services as well as the food. I will pass your comments along to our acting crew so they can improve the comprehension for future tips.

Take care, Meagan, Mt. Hood Railroad.
Portland, Oregon
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Polar Express VERY DISAPPOINTING.....”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

I have taken the Polar Express on the Mt. Hood Railroad twice. First experience (2009) was awesome! Santa visited our car and sat on a chair. Each child was able to sit on Santa's lap and talk to him. Carolers came on board after Santa and led us through the singing of Xmas carols. The Carolers were funny...and I still have the memorable video of the caroler with the funny voice making funny sounds when singing Feliz Navidad. Naturally I wanted to go again. So in 2010 we boarded the train again with high expectations. The experience was quite a contrast to the first ride. Santa rushed through our train in a hurry to hand out bells to the kids. I'm not even sure my daughter even got a hug from Santa as he was in such a rush. No carolers. There was the addition of a hobo that was funny but I would take the carolers and a nonrushed visit with Santa over the hobo. When we boarded there was the ability to pay for a photo with Santa that was no different than then getting a photo taken at the mall...actually worse as there was more than one santa with a curtain between. My daugther could see thru the curtain to the santa next door. I think they had 2-3 santas taking photos and a long line. VERY disappointing. I spoke to the railroad who indicated that the dramatic change was in response to customer feedback and done to align with a different state polar express experience. Honestly I have no idea how anyone could see these as an improvement unless referring to the cost saved when replacing the army of carolers with a single hobo. Upon complaining and providing the feedback, I was offered nothing other than a defensive response. Hmmm...... I would definitely not go again. And since have been telling others not to go. This year we are trying the chehalis washington version.

Visited November 2011
3 Thank Margie H
Dear 2009 & 2010 Polar Express Customer,

We appreciate your feedback from your previous trips on the Polar Express. I regret to hear that we have made such a disappointing, lasting impression on you. Rest assured we have heard your concerns and have met your standards. We give more Santa time & have singing elves as well as Chefs that sing along. I think if you will join us again you will be pleasantly surprised at the operation. Thank you for your interest in the Mt. Hood Railroad and we hope to see you again on our upcoming Polar Express event.