“4 days on the Rogue”

Northwest Rafting Company
More attraction details
Owner description: We are an award winning outfitter based in Hood River, Oregon. We offer trips in the Pacific Northwest and a few select international destinations.Our premiere trip is on Southern Oregon's Rogue River. This is a 4 day expedition through a true wilderness river perfect for both first timers and veterans alike. Kids and families love the Rogue.We also offer trips to a few of our favorite international destinations each year. Our most popular international trips are our Rafting & Cultural Tour of Bhutan and our Rafting Expedition in Siberia.
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I just got back from a 4 day rafting trip on the Rogue. This trip exceeded my expectations in all ways. The rogue is beautiful, the guides are amazing, everything is very well organized/professionally run, the food was outstanding, and overall I just had an amazing trip. You can go at your own pace throughout the whole trip (being more active in the Duckies/inflatable kayaks, or just enjoying the ride in the pack rafts). We had a wide range of ages and desired activity levels and everyone had a great time. The guides are interesting and amazing people and will help you with anything you need to enjoy the trip and have fun. My favorite parts of the trip were: paddling the Duckies, trying my hands at the oars during the easier parts of the river, getting to jump in the river between rapids (or sometimes in rapids!) and swim, being able to sit my camp chair in the water when we got to camp and enjoy a few beers, getting to meet the guides and other guests, hunting for newts, spotting Osprey and Bald Eagles, the gourmet food (especially the cheese platter), the fact that I always felt very safe, and the scenery of the rogue (which seems to get more beautiful as you round every bend). If you are even considering this trip...GO!

2  Thank Nell757
There are newer reviews for Northwest Rafting Company

Reviewed November 16, 2012

Definitely the trip of a lifetime!! What an incredibly fun time we had, so much laughter, bonding with the group, adventure on the river, and off. I'll never forget it and feel I made friendships that will last a lifetime with some of the other participants. I so appreciate the efforts by all at NW Rafting Co. and our Bhutanese guides. The crew was professional, safety-oriented, informative, and a total blast!! They created an adventure that was also relaxing and so much fun and I always felt safe at every step of the way. They planned a great surprise on the last night - Bhutanese dancers by a bonfire w/drinks and snacks in the courtyard of our resort. I had looked into other tours and the only part NWRC itinerary lacked vs. others was attending a tshechu (festival) - however, the dancers they arranged for us to see did the same dances they do at the tshechus. So their tour had EVERYTHING I wanted to do in Bhutan PLUS rafting, at almost half the price, and I feel I had so much more fun with their group. I saw a few other tour groups staying at the same resorts as us, and they seemed much more....bored? Hard to be bored in Bhutan, but they were a lot more 'calm' then us! Thank you Zach Collier and gang for memories I will never ever forget!!

Reviewed September 17, 2012

Two friends and I went on a four day trip down the Rogue river. It was one of the best adventures I have ever been on. I have been on some sweet trip abroad around Europe and South America but this raft trip was superb. The River is beautiful. A perfect mix of relaxing floats and good rapids. Saw a hand full of bears, eagles, hawks, deer and other critters. A HUGE props to the guides!! They made the trip. Camp was set up each day before we arrived, the food they cook was amazing. Best I have eaten outdoors for sure. Their knowledge was outstanding. They knew about the geology, flora, fauna, hikes, waterfalls, astronomy, and history of the river. Anything we wanted they did there best to provide.
This is the trip you dream about when thinking of the perfect river trip!

Reviewed August 23, 2012

Just got home from Northwest Rafting Company’s six day Intermediate Kayak School / trip down the Rogue River, and had a blast. The river was beautiful, and had a lot of thrilling rapids that challenged me and really developed my abilities as a kayaker. Camp sites at night were peaceful and relaxing. The food was consistently outstanding – which is really impressive considering that all ingredients were being transported down the river in coolers on support rafts and prepared in the wilderness. The kayak instructors were superb. The raft guides were cheerful and fun to be around in camp at the end of the day. The group of students was a great group – adventurous people with a lot of really interesting experiences that were great to hear about over a beer or two in camp at night. All in all, every aspect of the trip was really well done, and this was a great experience.

As far as the kayak instruction went for me personally: I came to this school having kayaked for about a year, but with a grand total of only about 15 or 20 days on the water, and having seen really only one Class III rapid. For my limited experience level, the Rogue was a perfect river on which to try to broaden my skills. The rapids were significantly bigger than any I had seen before, but they were mostly pool drop rapids with minimal consequences when I made mistakes. At the beginning of the week, I was a little nervous.... By the end of the trip, I was grinning like an idiot through pretty much every rapid. [Mule Creek Canyon in particular was just an absolute blast.] So for me… this was just the right level of challenge – hard enough to force me to get better, but forgiving enough to still have fun. All of the students seemed to love it though, and our class’s experience level ranged from three students that had never been in a kayak at all before getting on the Rogue [they got the eight day beginner course, which adds two extra days of instruction to the beginning of the trip], to one guy with Class V experience. Based on how much fun everyone in our group had, I would confidently recommend this trip to any kayaker or aspiring kayaker, regardless of their level of experience. And based on how well NWRC ran this trip, I would confidently recommend any of their other [non-kayaking] trips as well. They really did a great job, and for a very, very reasonable price.

So overall… I left this course as a much better kayaker than I had been six days earlier. Equally importantly, I had a blast, saw some spectacular scenery, and met some great people. Highly recommended.

Reviewed August 1, 2012

We recently took a 4 day rafting and camping trip with Northwest on the Rogue River. There were nine of us, all family, ranging from 20 years old up to 60. We've gone rafting before on the Green River, the New River and in the Grand Canyon, but this was by far the best trip. The scenery was beautiful and remote, the river was exciting, the food was excellent and we saw bears and otters. The guides, however, really made the trip special. They worked so hard and cheerfully to make sure we had a great and safe time. Somehow they managed to make gourmet food (including an amazing birthday cake), navigate exciting rapids, set up camp, pack up camp, keep a watchful eye on our whole group, organize hikes to great spots like Zane Gray's cabin, and, most importantly, talk and laugh with us. They were wonderful guides as well as wonderful people, and by the the end of the trip we felt like we had added 4 new members to our family. We've all come back with a new outlook on life and energized and renewed - we now call it being "in the Zane". The office staff was also wonderful, helping us out with all of our complicated travel plans, dietary issues and special requests. We travel frequently but this was our favorite trip. It was perfect.