“Fun time learning windsurfing on Hood River” 4 of 5 bubbles

Hood River WaterPlay
Dallas, Texas
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Fun time learning windsurfing on Hood River”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2011

These guys were great, very patient, and we all learned the basics of Windsurfing in a morning session. My 12 and 10 year old boys and my 7 year old girl all were up and surfing in a few hours! We had a blast and would definitely do it again. It is doable for young children who are willing, just make sure to let them know ahead of time so they will have enough staff to help out the kids.

Visited August 2011
2 Thank jeffhurley

Denver, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Tacking and jibing in a matter of minutes: great land instruction,”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2011

I took a three hour lesson my first day with my mom, and another two hour one the next day with my dad. My instructor (Jason?) first started us out on this grounded windsurfer, which allowed us to learn the basics of turning upwind and downwind, mounting the board. All was explained in a very simple five step process. They gave wetsuits but the water was warm enough that I just opted out and did fine. I though I would do better because I had boat sailing experience, but my mom showed me up (my dad... well...). It was a blast because they ensured that you spent at least 33% of your time out of the water and sailing, which is rare for first timers. The downside to the water sailing was that we (I) kept getting pushed downstream into this safety net thing, but I'm glad they had that otherwise we would have floated down the very dangerous Columbia River (Hood River is the city). Overall I highly recommend the whole package. 2 hours of instruction (land + water) with 1 hour of free rental time is the best deal.

Visited July 2011
2 Thank Thomas K
Seattle, Washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Amazing Service and the most sincere owner EVER”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2011

My husband and I have been going here since before we were married - we get a little rusty every year in Seattle, and then return to Hood River once or twice and take lessons or rent (sometimes both). The staff, who rotate a bit, have been ever-patient with us, and we get discounts on days when things aren't quite perfect. The beginner lessons were truly stellar and we've progressed so far with only 2 weeks (spread over years) of time on the water.
The owner really means it when he says "on the water not in the water"

Visited July 2011