“Good Italian wine with outdoor seating”
Review of Marchesi Vineyards

Marchesi Vineyards
Ranked #5 of 73 things to do in Hood River
More attraction details
Owner description: Franco Marchesi's passion for wine began in his hometown of Borgosesia, Peimonte, Italy. As a child he always wondered what it would be like to be a winemaker like his grandfather Achille. After running his own import company specializing in Italian wines for over 20 years, Franco began planting his favorite Northern Italian grapes in Hood River, where the climate and soil are just like Northern Italy. Please come visit, and taste our wines. Salute!
Reviewed April 29, 2012

We loved this place. My wife and I visited this place with a few friends and had a great time. It is a great setting, with the 5 acre vineyard right next to the tasting room. The service was excellent and the wine was very good. We really liked the red blend. We went on a Saturday afternoon and the weather was great so we were able to sit out on the nice patio. I recommend this place highly

1  Thank ditch-the-rain

Reviewed April 23, 2012

My brother in law lives across from Hood River in Underwood, WA & he took us here two weeks ago during the Hood River Passport wine festival. It was a beautiful spring day and we sat outside on their patio sampling 5 different wines. The servers were knowledgeable & friendly & the owner was really personable..coming over and asking how we liked the different wines and what we thought of each particular one. They brought us out a complimentary baguette with thin sliced Salami and Pecorino cheese and it was a good portion. Likewise the sample pours..they were HUGE pours. I'd never seen anything like it before. It was like a quarter glass for each sample. By the time we left the place we were so buzzed we decided to bypass the rest of the days tastings and put the other places off until the next day. Very enjoyable experience.

1  Thank Vneuman921
Reviewed April 3, 2012

If you are travelling through or visiting the Columbia River Gorge, you have to stop at Marchesi's for a great wine-tasting and very charming experience!
Signor Marchesi came from arguably the best wine producing region in Italy and brought the wines and traditions of his land.
The wine is great: I love the Nebbiolo, the Primitivo (Zinfandel), the Barbera and tthe blends. Signor Marchesi produces small batches in a very traditional fashon.
And I love the ambience of the tasting room. A very nice patio for summers and indoor area for winters, with Italian decoration and complemented by the staff ffriendly service. Don't be surprised if you are offered bread and cheese or salumi with your wine!
I am a member of their wine club and like the great selection I get every 6 month at reasonable prices foer the quality.
If you are part of the club, you also get invitation to special dinners and events, which is a treat since Signor Marchesi is a very good cook and party organizer, in addition to a great winemaker.
The wines from the Hood River valley are very good, I would definitely recommend a wine tasting tour in several vineyards, but MArchesi would be on top of my list.

1  Thank Sea_Man_6
Reviewed March 22, 2012

Love the wines, the snacks (esp. the salami from the antique slicer) and the cats. Treated like we were long-lost family.

Reviewed March 8, 2012

My husband and I visited Hood River for the first time in November. We had no plan of attack so we just dashed around the river area visiting wineries. As a sommelier, it was unfortunately underwhelming for most of the afternoon. Then our GPS picked up Marchesi Vineyards..hmmm...sounds Italian...and off we went. The weather was cool and drizzly outside but the tasting room couldn't have been more inviting. We pulled up to what we thought was a private party. People were happily spilling out of the tasting room onto the trellis-covered patio with fire pits blazing. Inside the aura was even cozier with two lovely tasting room ladies...I believe one's name was Donna. They made us so welcome even in the cluster of people. We sat on the edge of the windowsill and on stacks of cases of wine. There are comfy seats there but were already filled with chatty groups. We were happy though.

We drank through the tasting flight of wine while the charming Italian owner and winemaker scurried around with warm chestnuts he toasted on the outside fires. He was delightful and so were his wines. I absolutely feel in love with the Barbera and took that along with some Pinot Grigio to go. I didn't want to leave the good times, but they recommended another winery to try. We traveled down the road briefly to another spot but then decided to return to Marchesi, afterall they were going to be open until 6:00.

We ordered a couple of glasses of Barbera and hung out with the owner more. By that time he began offering delicious antipasto with meats that he slices in the winery. It was such an awesome time, my husband and I look forward to a return in the late Spring.

The reason why this review is three months late is that I was just reminded of these fantastic memories because not only does Marchesi make wine, but he also makes olive oil...which I just used the rest of. Don't forget to pick up some olive oil while you're there!