“Aging gracefully along the banks of the Columbia River”

Columbia Gorge Hotel & Spa
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Hood River
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 17, 2012

An aging dowager of a hotel from the early 20th Century. The public spaces are in need of some attention but there is a certain charm to slightly shabby elegance. The room was large for a hotel of this era and well appointed. The view from the veranda overlooking the Columbia River is not to be missed. The grounds are well tended as you would expect for a wedding destination type property. All in all a pleasant stay with a friendly staff to help.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jettrink

Reviewed July 9, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for two nights in early June. I picked the "garden setting" room due to our love of flowers. What we could see out the window however, was a parking lot and Interstate highway. In retrospect, I wish I would have chosen a room viewing the Columbia River due to the noise level from the highway and windows being only single paned. Our room was small but did have that antique feel and historical aspects. On Sunday morning we enjoyed the 7 course Sunday Brunch but found for the price, the food was only "okay". Would I recommend this hotel? Yes, for the look and feel but choose a room with the river view.

Room Tip: Rooms on the river are quieter
Reviewed July 2, 2012

The room was very small but pretty, and the elevator has to be driven by an attendant. However, this hotel has it's own waterfall and the building and grounds are beautiful. Everyone on staff was very friendly and helpful. is just outside of Hood River and you have to drive to town, but it is a wonderful little downtown.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Knansea
Reviewed June 27, 2012

The hotel is "plush". We got one of the two rooms with a fireplace ($20 extra) >> a nice touch. The room was very big (I understand that the "European" rooms are very small). Our room was on the riverside, overlooking the outside patio.
The grounds are wonderfully landscaped and the waterfall is at the corner of the hotel, falling towards the Columbia River. The restaurant was a little pricey, but the service and food were excellent.
The room had a 2nd door that was slatted and allows for a cross breeze (sort of like a screen door, but with privacy). Bathroom was large and had up-to-date fixtures. TV was flatscreen (cable). So… if you want to pamper yourself, be sure to spend a night or two at the CGH !

2  Thank Merl R
Reviewed June 24, 2012

The gardens are wonderful and the room was fine, but the service was lacking. The hotel service pages in our book in the room were missing and the hotel could not replace them. Coffee was only available in the morning and the elevator required one of the staff to operate it which sometimes involved a wait as they had to register people, answer the phone, etc. Our later motels were more comfortable, but then there is the history. T. M.

1  Thank TrauteM
Reviewed June 22, 2012

Everytime we drove thru Hood River we said "some day we will stay there". Just before our 41st Anniversary we decided this was the year. A Groupon coupon was used and we were treated wonderfully. The hotel staff could NOT of been better and they were so helpful in every way. Even remembering our first names saying Good Morning to us. We loved the onsite restaurant. I had the best Monte Cristo sandwich for lunch one day and it was the best I've ever had. Breakfast out on the deck was beautiful with the river views. The 6 acres of grounds were covered with beautiful flowers and some were cut and in vases all over the building. There was a stream running thru the grass that ended in a water fall running down the hillside. That made a nice relaxing sound we could hear from our room with the screened windows open. There is air conditioning but we had our windows open. There is even interesting enough a second door on your room with the top part slates that can be used instead to allow more air flow. The original air conditioning with the gorge winds! Our room was nice size and very clean and had a mini-refrig and a nice remodeled bathroom. I could not get the bathtub faucet to work at all, found out even though it had a handle it had to be pulled OUT from the center then using the handle for temp. Really embarressing since we have a plumbing business! So glad my plumber was with me. I loved all the artwork and beautiful old furniture. The elevator is an original having to be ran by the bell hop. I would love to stay here again and will in my dreams.
Be sure to call ahead and reserve, its not a very large hotel and
It was kinda expensive, well more than we usually pay for a motel, but how much is a memory worth?

There is a wonderful Western Antique Aeroplane & Automobile museum out by the airport in Hood River, called WAAAM. Do not miss this, it was wonderful, everything drives and flies! Costs $10 to $12.00. Hundreds of things to see. We spent about 3 hours there and could of stayed longer. Lots of chairs scattered around to sit on and videos to watch. Also take the Historic Route 30 drive towards Portland to many water falls including Multnomah Falls and beyond to Vista House at Crown Point. The views were incredible. The building was built in about 1920, lots of marble floors and stained glass windows, very beautiful. We continued about 8 miles I think into Gresham and had dinner and shopped a little. Troutdale Factory Outlet is there close by too, So the best of both worlds in one day! We took the freeway then back to our historic wonderful motel for one more night...

Room Tip: we loved our 3rd floor room in the corner. Could see out and open 2 windows.
1  Thank twinsgrandpa
Reviewed June 13, 2012

I flew into Portland at 1:30 am rented a car an got too tired to continue, so I stopped at the Gorge Hotel having stayed there several years ago. Even at 2:30 am, the service was exceptional, the room very good and just needed the sleep. I was delighted that I received a large discount due to the fact that I was only going to be there for a few hours. Very comfortable, very friendly.

Room Tip: of course rooms on the river have the better view.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#7 of 8 in Hood River
Best Western Plus Columbia River Inn

Been to Columbia Gorge Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!