Columbia Gorge Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Comfort Suites(Hood River)
View Hotel
Hood River Hotel(Hood River)
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
All reviewshistoric hotelthe rivergarden viewpiano playerelevator operatornatural waterfallsteelheadstep back in timeromantic getawaycorner roomthird floorthe entire staffrooms are smallqueen bedwine tastingloungevaughan
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 21, 2011

I've driven by the hotel quite a few times, and finally got the chance to stay there last week. The hotel reminds me of Rosario, in the San Juans -- you can imagine the rich and famous hobnobbing with movie stars while sipping martinis and champagne. Fast forward 100 years, and not a lot has changed. The hotel is showing her years, but still has grace and charm. If you like older hotels with character and history, you will like the Columbia Gorge Hotel. After settling in, sit on Valentino's Terrace and sip a cocktail while overlooking the Gorge.Note: It is close to the busy highway, so there is quite a bit of noise on the road side. And it is a pet-friendly hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
NewGM1, General Manager at Columbia Gorge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2011

The_Style
Thank you for your review, and I too wish the highway wasn’t there. We have looked into replacing all the windows in the building, but with the regulations for being on the National Historical Registry the price to do so is almost tripled in cost; to the tune of 80 plus thousand dollars. Needless to say we still want to do it; it just dropped further down the list of all the other items we want to accomplish. We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed August 19, 2011

My sister and I stayed for 3 nights and loved it! We had connecting rooms that shared a bath. The grounds are absolutely beautiful and you can tell they are upgrading the inside to its original splendor. I had the best lamb chop I have ever eaten in the hotel dining room. The staff was very friendly and helpful, even setting up a white water rafting trip for us. And, lucky me-the spa was open! Can't wait till next year.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Mary R
NewGM1, Manager at Columbia Gorge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2011

Mary R,
Thank you for your Review, I am happy to hear that you and your sister had such a nice time. We like to think of all our guest as part of our extended family. We have added several improvements since your visit such as a workout room and soon black marble vanities for the bathrooms will be installed. We hope to see the rest of your family soon and thank you for your comments, as our guest satisfaction is very important to us.

Reviewed August 19, 2011

My husband and I did an overnight here on our way to a wedding and had decided to add a day or two and make it a long weekend. We needed a place that was dog-friendly (have a mini dachshund), but wanted to stay someplace better than just an average roadside motel. I was hesitant after reading some negative reviews, but have to say we were pleasantly surprised. My expectations were an older and charming hotel and that's exactly what it is. The setting is beautiful overlooking the river and the grounds are sweet and the perfect place to stroll the little doggie around to tire her out. The hotel itself has an old world charm. Our room was clean, comfortable and nicely appointed with a queen bed, two chairs and small table and a desk. Is it modern and up-to-date? No, but that's not what I expected or wanted. I can get that at any downtown Portland or Seattle hotel. The staff was very friendly and we were able to sit outside on the deck after check-in and have wine and a lovely humus plate with a gorgeous view. All with our little dog tucked quietly under the table. We also ate dinner at the restaurant, but I have to say it was a little disappointing. My steelhead was cooked really well with a slight crispness made by the sauce it was grilled with, but the accompanying rice and fresh green beans were lackluster. Hubby's steak was underdone and a bit tough. All in all, I'd recommend the hotel, but one would be better going elsewhere for meals.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank katyc18

Katyc18,
I am happy you and the Dachshund had a nice stay here at the hotel, but I am a little concerned with your dinner. I have reviewed your comments with the Chef and he has assured me that he will review it with his staff and fix the problem. The next time you’re in town please ask for me, as the Chef and I would like to buy you dinner to make up for your bad experience

Reviewed August 19, 2011

My sister and I stayed for 3 nights in August-loved it! The grounds are absolutely beautiful even though they are still working on the landscaping. While the hotel is old, you can tell it is being brought back to it's original slendor. We each had our own room with a shared bathroom-perfect. The staff were all very kind and friendly; giving us the scoop on the Fruit Loop and arranging a white water rafting trip for us. I have nothing but praise for the food-best lamb chop ever and lucky me- the spa was open. Can't wait for next years trip.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Mary R
Reviewed July 18, 2011

tHE STAFF WAS SO ACCOMADATING. Food, Oh how good. With The SMOKED STEELHEAD for breakfast, who would ever miss pork. Quiet, and the bed, The best matteress next to mine at home. Roomservice in the morning with THE BEST COFFEE and biscotti. The view. Amazing. I am a people watcher and I must say the were enjoying the view also. The VIEW can be the Gorge, the motel architecture, or the flower beds which look more like wild nature. The aroma is intoxicating also. It is a must visit, if not for a night, tnen at least a Dinner, or Breakfast. I'm sure lunch would be just as great!!! A big THANK YOU to the staff for a fabulous time.

Room Tip: Third floor above the kitchen
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business