“Thanksgiving Buffet”

Simon's at the Columbia Gorge Hotel
Reserve with OpenTable
Simon's at the Columbia Gorge Hotel is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #34 of 142 Restaurants in Hood River
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed December 6, 2013

Such a beautiful old hotel! The views were wonderful. The drinks we had in the bar while waiting to eat were terrific-great bartender! The problem-the buffet was really awful. I know Thanksgiving is not the tastiest holiday but from the stone hard rolls to the dry mashed potatoes and sticky sweet yams-this was really bad. They ran out of turkey and then had a carver dishing up about one tablespoon of it-I'm not exagerating. The ham was incinerated-it tasted like overdone spam. We stayed the night and had breakfast the next day in the same restaurant and it was delicious. What is up with this? We will be back because we loved the hotel, but will eat Thanksgiving elsewhere next year.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

In a novel by Oregon writer Craig Lesley, I had read about the Columbia Gorge Hotel restaurant, located on a bluff overlooking the Columbia River and across to Washington state. But until Thanksgiving, our travels had taken us past Hood River without stopping. But we booked a lovely little rental on the edge of town and then made reservations at the Thanksgiving buffet. The weather was quite lovely for this time of year--sunny, no wind, and bracing temperatures just above freezing. My wife and I were seated immediately upon arriving. The long buffet line, filled with tempting dishes, offered fresh-baked rolls and tasty salads and fresh fruit for our first visit. I did sneak a spoonful of candied yams to accompany my salad selections. We ate our first choices in a leisurely manner before returning for the main courses. Now it was time for mashed potatoes, more candied yams, turkey and roast pork. All was delicious and well-savored before we relinquished our plates. Desserts featured pumpkin tartlets, pecan bars, and a chocolate fondue. We were attended by a very attentive waitperson named Sasha, a lifelong resident of Hood River. The day gave us many reasons to be thankful, not only for the gracious setting and delicious food, but our families, our friends and our nation. We expect to return next spring to stay in the hotel.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

We live in the general area and last ate here many years ago when we were staying there. Since then the ownership has changed and the restaurant is certainly not as good as I remember. I think there are many other restaurants in Hood River that are cheaper and must better food. The entire staff at the restaurant seemed very inexperienced including the bar tenders who could not make certain drinks. I would give the restaurant an "average" rating for the food but considering the higher prices and inexperienced staff it gets a poor rating. I would not return here.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

Loved sitting in the sun room overlooking the Columbia River. It was actually sunny. Makes food taste good! I ordered a "design your own" omelette with smoked sturgeon, sun dried tomatoes and avocado. Yum. The potatoes were pretty ordinary but the multi-grain toast was delicious. The hotel grounds are gorgeous and provide lots of opportunity to photos.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

We have eaten here years before after staying in the hotel and remembered the breakfast experience as quite good. Boy not this time!

We had been driving all day, specifically to stay at this hotel and were quite tired after our long and rainy drive, so decided to eat in the dining room rather than venture into town. The first thing that hit us as we walked into the dining room was the overpowering smell of old fish (and I was going to order the scallops). While the food was adequate, it wasn't the "award winning" meal we were expecting. I ordered the duck breast and though the meat was moist and tasty, the skin was soggy and tough, not the delicious crispy skin you would expect with duck. It was sitting in an inordinate amount of a huckleberry sauce that would have completely over-shadowed the duck if I hadn't pushed it to the side. This was accompanied by 5 skinny spears of asparagus and a huge pile of dry but tasty mashed potatoes. My husband's roasted lamb consisted of two small rib chops sitting (again) in too much sauce, the 5 spears of asparagus and the dry potatoes. The only redeeming thing about the meal was the dessert and the coffee. Service was OK but considering there were only about 7 tables filled with under 20 guests, it certainly could have been better. ...and it was quite expensive. Over $100 for this.

Breakfast the next morning was even worse. We had to ask for almost every element of our meal (when we could find our waitress). My husband had to ask for milk for his oatmeal, I had to ask for butter for my french toast,( which was not explained, was a lavendar butter, so I couldn't ask about the spots of "stuff" in it).. The english muffin got a quick "sear" rather than toasted.

They need to get chefs in that kitchen rather than 'cooks' and definately need to work with their dining room staff if they're going to consider themselves "fine dining".