“Fabulous value - excellent location - a great deal”
Review of Westcliff Lodge

Westcliff Lodge
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Hood River
Reviewed July 24, 2010

We booked one of the river-view rooms and it was beautiful with a balcony overlooking the river. The room was very large for 2 people and very comfortable. The price was so reasonable - especially when compared to other 'motels' in the area that charge significantly more for less. Good restaurants nearby as well - good recommendations from the office staff. Book early because they fill up quickly.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
VagabondLodge, Owner at Westcliff Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2010

Glad you had a great stay; that's what we try to do! Next time we'll try to get the eagles to fly by for you; they like to perch on the trees by the river below your room. Hope to see you when you visit Hood River again!

Reviewed July 13, 2010

I've stayed at the Vagabond many times on wintertime budget ski trips, but this was my first summertime stay. As a few have already noted, there is more to the Vagabond than meets the eye (from the highway). Overall great value for the money, cheap, clean, very very friendly staff.

The cheapest rooms are the bank of rooms visible from the front, and they're just fine. But farther back is a lovely old-fashioned park-like setting (the groundskeeper was cutting roses to take in to the front desk), sheltered from the highway, with buildings overlooking the river. This trip, we stayed in one of the "partial-river-view" rooms ... which had a great view of the river. The "partial" is simply because it is ground floor and there are some trees in the view as well...

In the winter, great deals on Mt. Hood Meadows lift tickets with your stay.

The ladies at the front desk were super friendly and a hoot to talk with.

So, for a special occasion riverview stay, go next door to the Columbia Gorge Hotel, but for a great value with or without the same view, check out the Vagabond!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business

Thanks for the review, we're still getting blooming roses in October this year! Glad you could stay with us during the summer, and look forward to a good snow season this winter (cross your fingers). We're going to have the discounted Mt Hood Meadows lift tickets again this year, "packaged" with a room to save our guests some more money. We hope to see you when the snow starts to fall!

Reviewed June 29, 2010

After long hours on the road my wife and I decided to stay at Hood River, OR. We debated camping or simply getting a hotel. We were concerned because we were travelling with our dog, but didn't want to stay at a hotel that allowed pets because of bad experiences in the past. We were more than pleasantly surprised when we made it to our room and is was clean, very nice, and pet friendly. The staff was friendly and the service was great.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
VagabondLodge, Owner at Westcliff Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2010

Thanks for your review. We have stayed (and will stay) pet friendly while it seems every other hotel has banned pets. Thanks again and hope to see you next time your road trip brings you to Hood River!

Reviewed June 26, 2010

I was here on business for one week. The cost of the room was great, but that was the only positive thing I can say about this place.

My first room smelled horrible, but the entire place was full, as well as every other hotel in town. I went and purchased an air freshener which helped me cope. I was also disappointed with this room as there was no coffee maker and the microwave was broken. As this room was in the front, traffic noise from the highway was deafening. You will hear traffic all night. Beware if you are a light sleeper.

After my second night there I awoke to ants crawling all over my suitcase and in my clothing. Very disgusting as I repeatedly found ants on me that day! I told the staff about it and was told they can spend an hour and fumigate it for me if I wanted, but I had to demand a new room. After the next night, I had to switch rooms again because that one had been reserved earlier....ok, I can deal with that.

My last two nights were spent in a third room which at first glance looked and smelled clean. However, my last night I spent there I awoke to ......yes, more ants. A LOT of them. Several hundred ants crawling over the desk, phone, wall, and lamp. Completely ridiculous. Much like the other review, this was beyond horrifying! I cannot recommend this hotel to anyone unless you absolutely have no other place to stay (or just really like ants). They have an ant problem that they seem to not think is an issue.

The staff was, for the most part, very friendly though.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank J_Radz

Thanks for the feedback and sorry to hear about the ants. We did indeed move you to another room, but we have not had an ant problem like the one you described before. Regardless, we treat around each room and building with insect repellant and have not had ants return. If you decide to give us another chance to earn your trust, please let us know if something is not satisfactory (in this case the microwave) so we can fix or replace it instantly. Thanks again for the feedback.

Reviewed June 16, 2010

First they lost our reservations that were made 2 months in advance. The made us move 3 times in 4 days. When we were in the room with the jacuzzi tub, beautiful room, however when we turned on the jets in the tub sewage started to pump in...I was already sitting in the tub enjoying myself when I realized I was sitting in a cesspool. Next morning ants all over the counters. The beds are very hard and uncomfortable. No curtains on the windows with a hiking trail that has a birds eye view through the bay window. Our horror continued when we complained to the staff and the employee actually yelled at us over the phone. I would never subject another person to the horror I experienced at this hotel.

1  Thank Theweyers

This issue was resolved. We requested you switch rooms because you had brought dogs with you for one of our few pet-free rooms. We have pet-free rooms specifically for people who are allergic to pets. When moving, we offered three options for you to switch to; it was your choice to move from room to room as often as you liked. We do treat for ants; they will only appear if food is left out everywhere. We disassembled the jacuzzi and checked the parts, as well as inspected the main line, for evidence of your sewage claim but did not find any.

Reviewed June 14, 2010

We had traveled all day from California to Oregon to attend a funeral. We drove around to checked out a few places in town, but ended up walking out because the prices were high and staff not real friendly. Then we came across Vagabond Lodge, as we walked into the office we were greeted by staff memeber Lori, "great gall" She asked if we had a reservation? We told her no, Lori replied not a problem, and she could set us up with a room, as we began to tell Lori the nature of our visit she felt the need to upgrade our room at a discount and put us in a quiet room near the garden.
I have to say that Lori saved the day for my family, and how she made sure we had everthing we needed. We felt like she was family!!
We are going back to the Vagabond to stay there during our family reunion in September and we hope to see Lori again. Thank You!!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family

Thanks for your review, glad we could help you with your last-minute changes. We try to keep our prices reasonable to help our guests have an enjoyable stay so a weekend doesn't break the bank. Be sure to give Lori (or Gail or Kathy) a call next time you're planning a trip our way, they love catching up with our guests! Thanks again.

Reviewed June 13, 2010

Basic clean family run hotel on large piece of land overlooking the river. Rooms are clean and comfortable, updated in the late 70s/early 80s - not fancy. Towels, shampoo, soap, TV, Small fridge and microwave in our room (#24). No coffee. Friendly helpful staff. Pet friendly. Good budget hotel if visiting Hood River and don't mind driving a few miles to get to "downtown" Hood River. Large grounds w/ picnic tables. Room 23 looks great (we took a peak) w/ fireplace, bedroom, and full kitchen.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple

Thanks for your review, very accurate! We are working on renovating our rooms over this next year (hopefully by summer) with new furniture/fixtures/etc. We'll have fresh brewed coffee available in the office shortly, along with the apple spice cider and cocoa we already have. Give us a call ahead of time if you would like us to reserve #23! Thanks, hope to see you next time you're in Hood River.