I enjoyed an absolutely perfect two-night stay here, on a weekend during an extended business trip. This place has the best of both worlds: the ambience of a vacation retreat – including the Mom & Pop atmosphere – with the convenient amenities expected by a business traveler.
The best feature of this lodge is its location/views. It has several buildings situated on five wooded acres abutting the Columbia River, offering different types of accommodations. I chose a balcony, “large view” room. The view was simply stunning (see my pics). And that brings me to the second-best feature: prices. My two nights, with all taxes and fees, came to a total of $189.66. That is a bargain! For comparison, at the next door Columbia Gorge Hotel, a one queen bed, “river view” (no balcony) room cost $289/night (before taxes/fees) – about $600 for the same two nights. And, by the way, if you want to enjoy visiting the Columbia Gorge Hotel at Vagabond rates, you can take a short stroll from your room to their restaurant and grounds; there is even a little rock staircase in the back parking lot, connecting the two properties. (The Columbia Gorge Hotel’s grounds are well-manicured and gorgeous, especially the waterfall; I recommend a stroll on their property.)
My room was MUCH more than I expected for the bargain rate. It included two queen beds next to a huge picture window, a desk with a chair, a table with two chairs, a fridge/microwave, a single-serve (sanitary) coffee maker, a separated vanity/bathroom area with yet another chair, newly-upgraded sink faucet and tub unit, and a huge rainforest-type shower head. The television and phone were dated, but included cable and worked fine – the few times I even used them. I mostly sat outside on my balcony – I even worked from the balcony, using the excellent free wi-fi connection.
My review would be completely remiss without mentioning the staff. They are amazing, and obviously love their jobs. The Vagabond is family-owned and operated (3rd generation), and it shows, in the best possible ways. The front office welcomes guests like long-lost friends. From front desk to housekeeping, they all happily greet you, and go above and beyond to make you feel welcome. I can’t imagine how such a fabulous place has such great rates – but that’s a big part of its charm. I will be here every time I am in Hood River.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the heart of the Columbia River Gorge at the Gateway to the Beautiful Hood River Valley, the Westcliff Lodge is the ideal place for you to stay while exploring the area. Set on over seven acres overlooking the mighty Columbia River, on our grounds you will find a botanical wonderland including 110 foot tall pine trees and native wild flowers. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity and Orbitz so you can book your Westcliff Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Vagabond Motel Hood River
- Vagabond Hotel Hood River