“Absolutely Perfect”
Review of Westcliff Lodge

Westcliff Lodge
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Hood River
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I enjoyed an absolutely perfect two-night stay here, on a weekend during an extended business trip. This place has the best of both worlds: the ambience of a vacation retreat – including the Mom & Pop atmosphere – with the convenient amenities expected by a business traveler.

The best feature of this lodge is its location/views. It has several buildings situated on five wooded acres abutting the Columbia River, offering different types of accommodations. I chose a balcony, “large view” room. The view was simply stunning (see my pics). And that brings me to the second-best feature: prices. My two nights, with all taxes and fees, came to a total of $189.66. That is a bargain! For comparison, at the next door Columbia Gorge Hotel, a one queen bed, “river view” (no balcony) room cost $289/night (before taxes/fees) – about $600 for the same two nights. And, by the way, if you want to enjoy visiting the Columbia Gorge Hotel at Vagabond rates, you can take a short stroll from your room to their restaurant and grounds; there is even a little rock staircase in the back parking lot, connecting the two properties. (The Columbia Gorge Hotel’s grounds are well-manicured and gorgeous, especially the waterfall; I recommend a stroll on their property.)

My room was MUCH more than I expected for the bargain rate. It included two queen beds next to a huge picture window, a desk with a chair, a table with two chairs, a fridge/microwave, a single-serve (sanitary) coffee maker, a separated vanity/bathroom area with yet another chair, newly-upgraded sink faucet and tub unit, and a huge rainforest-type shower head. The television and phone were dated, but included cable and worked fine – the few times I even used them. I mostly sat outside on my balcony – I even worked from the balcony, using the excellent free wi-fi connection.

My review would be completely remiss without mentioning the staff. They are amazing, and obviously love their jobs. The Vagabond is family-owned and operated (3rd generation), and it shows, in the best possible ways. The front office welcomes guests like long-lost friends. From front desk to housekeeping, they all happily greet you, and go above and beyond to make you feel welcome. I can’t imagine how such a fabulous place has such great rates – but that’s a big part of its charm. I will be here every time I am in Hood River.

Room Tip: Reserve early! And request a high floor, even if it's not available when you reserve.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
VagabondLodge, Owner at Westcliff Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

Thank you for your review. Glad we could be absolutely perfect for you. As with every review we get, I feel as if my words cannot properly convey the gratitude we all have for your kind words. We'll keep on working to provide each guest with what we could provide you, and are working on updating those TVs. Thank you again.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

What a great surprise this place is. It's kinda folksy and quaint, but it has a fabulous view of the river, and lots of outdoor woodsy play areas for children with swing sets and picnic tables. We were vacationing with our Son and Daughter-in-law and two of our young grandchildren. We rented a suite with a kitchenette so we were able to save money by having breakfast in our room and packing lunches every day. We toured the breathtakingly beautiful old Columbia hwy and other great sights. This Lodge was clean as a whistle, even though it was outdated, the beds were comfortable, the shower was hot and the setting was perfect.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
VagabondLodge, Owner at Westcliff Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2012

Thanks for your review, glad we could be a great surprise! We're working on creating more nice outdoor spaces for guests to enjoy, and always making improvements/updates. Thanks again!

Reviewed September 10, 2012

I booked this motel based on the reviews here at Tripadvisor and I can safely say that the reviews are accurate. My husband was leery about staying in a "motel" but when we pulled up to this nicely maintained little gem, his fears were put to rest. It was about 7p when we pulled in and the front desk had coffee, cocoa and cider available...a nice touch :) From the reception desk, you can see through to the courtyard where they have a play set for the little travelers. The gal in the office mentioned they were sold out that night due to weddings so I was very relieved that I secured our room far in advance.
Our room was perfect. It was spacious and had all the amenities that you expect in hotels. It was clean and smelled fresh. The bed was comfortable and shower was awesome! The shower head is mounted a bit low, but it's got one of those massive dinner plate-sized heads that feels like rain drops. I loved it. The room was a "partial-view King" but the view was still pretty amazing.
Dinner is Hood River was great. The lady at the front desk gave us great suggestions and town was only a short drive away. We weren't able to find parking close to the restaurant we wanted to go to, but ended up at getting a spot right in front of the Full Sail Brewery so we went there instead. Our meal was delicious and we had yet another amazing view of the Columbia.
The next morning we asked where a good place for breakfast was and she suggested Betty's downtown. Oh my gosh, best. breakfast. ever. Try the buckwheat pancakes with boysenberry syrup. YUM And the cinnamon rolls are huge!
All in all, we were more than happy with our stay in Hood River and the Vagabond was a big part of that. We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Partial view rooms still have a great view.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
VagabondLodge, Owner at Westcliff Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2012

Thanks for your review! The gals will be glad to hear you had a great time. It is always a good idea to give us a call well in advance, that way a person can have a room reserved for them and also pick which room they like most! Thanks again.

Reviewed September 7, 2012

Super clean and fresh. Staff was very accommodating. We didn't get the thermostat set quite right so when we came back from super they brought in a fan and helped us get it right. I recommend paying a little extra for a room off the service road. It's just off the interstate so you will hear a little traffic noise if you choose to save money. We were so exhausted from hiking all day that it didn't trouble us. Plus the A/C offers "white noise" that pretty much blocks it out.

Room Tip: Choose a room off the road for a quieter stay.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Thanks for your review! Most people say that any road noise in the original front rooms didn't bother them, and a few have said that it can be louder than they like; it depends on how noise-sensitive a person is. The rooms in back along the cliff are deffinitely quiet and away from the road (plus there's a nice view). Thanks again!

Reviewed September 2, 2012

We stayed at the Vagabond Lodge at the end of August. The Lodge is located just outside of Hood River. You could not walk into town, but it is a short five minute drive to the heart of everything. Check in was efficient and friendly. We rented one of the river view rooms and the view was very nice. The room was clean and spacious. Also, the shower was GREAT, which was especially welcome after a long day wandering around on trails. Given its location and views, Vagabond Lodge is a great value for the money. I would recommend the Lodge to anyone seeking basic accommodations at a very reasonable price.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
VagabondLodge, Owner at Westcliff Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2012

Thanks for your review, glad you liked the shower! The shower head is a 8-inch sunflower, and we're loooking into upgrading those even more (dual showerheads). Thanks again!

Reviewed August 25, 2012

I stayed here for one night of a 25 night US & Canada road trip spanning July & August. My room was clean, the bed was comfortable and the surroundings were quiet with beautiful views of the river. Check-in was fast & friendly, there's no breakfast but there's a Walmart a few minutes drive away if you want to stock up on a few bits & bobs such as milk & cereal (my room had a fridge) - although I'm sure there's plenty of good breakfast eateries locally. For an evening meal I recommended the White Buffalo next door - they do a great buffalo burger & huckleberry cider!

Would I stay here again if I was in the area? Definitely!

p.s. Please give Freckles (an amazing 19-year-old kitty) another dose of fuss from me... ;-))

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Dominico76
VagabondLodge, Owner at Westcliff Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2012

Thanks for your review, Frecks does run the place! For breakfast, there's the Charburger next door as well as all the places in town; we have the fridge and microwave in each room in case people would like breakfast with the view of course. Thanks again!

Reviewed August 23, 2012

I spent a couple of nights at the Vagabond Lodge last week and thought I would jot down my impressions. On first appearance, this lodge would seem to be the perfect place for someone looking for a lower priced alternative to the Columbia Gorge Hotel next door. I was impressed with the grounds and the view. It really is a sweet spot! However, there were a couple of minor points where I thought some improvements could be made. I guess the problem was my expectations were overly high as might be the case with a lodging located in more of a "resort" type area. OK, I'm not complaining but mainly, I was more pleased with the area from the main road to my front door than with the area from my front door to the river. My room was large but with some furniture choices and placements that were curious. And there was no access to the river i.e no balcony (I gather some rooms do have balconies). And then the grounds to the north consisted mainly of some rough paths and cliffs when I was hoping for something a little more developed. Anyway, But what I mainly came away thinking was this: With the large fireplace and all in the room, this would be the perfect place to spend a cool autumn day. In other words, I'd rather it be colder outside than in, not the other way around. Its cozy here, but to me just not the place to spend a warm summer day. For that, I'd want a little better access to the river, some grass (north side) and more sunshine (fewer trees). No problem - the owners have done a great job here and I hope to be back..

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank aldri7
VagabondLodge, Owner at Westcliff Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2012

Thanks for your review! Yes, balconies overlooking the river are great. The building you were in does not have balconies, but the 3-story building does have balconies with each room. We're doing a bit of landscaping right now to open up the view a bit more; the trees are on Union Pacific property so we need to work with them on limb trimming. We're going to expand the open space on the north side by the cliff with more open grass spaces, picnic tables, and a couple viewpoints. Glad we could be a sweet spot for you and thanks again!