“A great find!”

Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Hood River
Logan
“A great find!”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I booked this motel based on the reviews here at Tripadvisor and I can safely say that the reviews are accurate. My husband was leery about staying in a "motel" but when we pulled up to this nicely maintained little gem, his fears were put to rest. It was about 7p when we pulled in and the front desk had coffee, cocoa and cider available...a nice touch :) From the reception desk, you can see through to the courtyard where they have a play set for the little travelers. The gal in the office mentioned they were sold out that night due to weddings so I was very relieved that I secured our room far in advance.
Our room was perfect. It was spacious and had all the amenities that you expect in hotels. It was clean and smelled fresh. The bed was comfortable and shower was awesome! The shower head is mounted a bit low, but it's got one of those massive dinner plate-sized heads that feels like rain drops. I loved it. The room was a "partial-view King" but the view was still pretty amazing.
Dinner is Hood River was great. The lady at the front desk gave us great suggestions and town was only a short drive away. We weren't able to find parking close to the restaurant we wanted to go to, but ended up at getting a spot right in front of the Full Sail Brewery so we went there instead. Our meal was delicious and we had yet another amazing view of the Columbia.
The next morning we asked where a good place for breakfast was and she suggested Betty's downtown. Oh my gosh, best. breakfast. ever. Try the buckwheat pancakes with boysenberry syrup. YUM And the cinnamon rolls are huge!
All in all, we were more than happy with our stay in Hood River and the Vagabond was a big part of that. We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Partial view rooms still have a great view.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
VagabondLodge, Owner at Westcliff Lodge, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Thanks for your review! The gals will be glad to hear you had a great time. It is always a good idea to give us a call well in advance, that way a person can have a room reserved for them and also pick which room they like most! Thanks again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Super clean and fresh. Staff was very accommodating. We didn't get the thermostat set quite right so when we came back from super they brought in a fan and helped us get it right. I recommend paying a little extra for a room off the service road. It's just off the interstate so you will hear a little traffic noise if you choose to save money. We were so exhausted from hiking all day that it didn't trouble us. Plus the A/C offers "white noise" that pretty much blocks it out.

Room Tip: Choose a room off the road for a quieter stay.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your review! Most people say that any road noise in the original front rooms didn't bother them, and a few have said that it can be louder than they like; it depends on how noise-sensitive a person is. The rooms in back along the cliff are deffinitely quiet and away from the road (plus there's a nice view). Thanks again!
St. Louis, Missouri
Reviewed September 2, 2012

We stayed at the Vagabond Lodge at the end of August. The Lodge is located just outside of Hood River. You could not walk into town, but it is a short five minute drive to the heart of everything. Check in was efficient and friendly. We rented one of the river view rooms and the view was very nice. The room was clean and spacious. Also, the shower was GREAT, which was especially welcome after a long day wandering around on trails. Given its location and views, Vagabond Lodge is a great value for the money. I would recommend the Lodge to anyone seeking basic accommodations at a very reasonable price.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
VagabondLodge, Owner at Westcliff Lodge, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Thanks for your review, glad you liked the shower! The shower head is a 8-inch sunflower, and we're loooking into upgrading those even more (dual showerheads). Thanks again!
God's chosen county of Lancashire - England
Reviewed August 25, 2012

I stayed here for one night of a 25 night US & Canada road trip spanning July & August. My room was clean, the bed was comfortable and the surroundings were quiet with beautiful views of the river. Check-in was fast & friendly, there's no breakfast but there's a Walmart a few minutes drive away if you want to stock up on a few bits & bobs such as milk & cereal (my room had a fridge) - although I'm sure there's plenty of good breakfast eateries locally. For an evening meal I recommended the White Buffalo next door - they do a great buffalo burger & huckleberry cider!

Would I stay here again if I was in the area? Definitely!

p.s. Please give Freckles (an amazing 19-year-old kitty) another dose of fuss from me... ;-))

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Dominico76
VagabondLodge, Owner at Westcliff Lodge, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Thanks for your review, Frecks does run the place! For breakfast, there's the Charburger next door as well as all the places in town; we have the fridge and microwave in each room in case people would like breakfast with the view of course. Thanks again!
Portland, OR
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I spent a couple of nights at the Vagabond Lodge last week and thought I would jot down my impressions. On first appearance, this lodge would seem to be the perfect place for someone looking for a lower priced alternative to the Columbia Gorge Hotel next door. I was impressed with the grounds and the view. It really is a sweet spot! However, there were a couple of minor points where I thought some improvements could be made. I guess the problem was my expectations were overly high as might be the case with a lodging located in more of a "resort" type area. OK, I'm not complaining but mainly, I was more pleased with the area from the main road to my front door than with the area from my front door to the river. My room was large but with some furniture choices and placements that were curious. And there was no access to the river i.e no balcony (I gather some rooms do have balconies). And then the grounds to the north consisted mainly of some rough paths and cliffs when I was hoping for something a little more developed. Anyway, But what I mainly came away thinking was this: With the large fireplace and all in the room, this would be the perfect place to spend a cool autumn day. In other words, I'd rather it be colder outside than in, not the other way around. Its cozy here, but to me just not the place to spend a warm summer day. For that, I'd want a little better access to the river, some grass (north side) and more sunshine (fewer trees). No problem - the owners have done a great job here and I hope to be back..

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank aldri7
VagabondLodge, Owner at Westcliff Lodge, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Thanks for your review! Yes, balconies overlooking the river are great. The building you were in does not have balconies, but the 3-story building does have balconies with each room. We're doing a bit of landscaping right now to open up the view a bit more; the trees are on Union Pacific property so we need to work with them on limb trimming. We're going to expand the open space on the north side by the cliff with more open grass spaces, picnic tables, and a couple viewpoints. Glad we could be a sweet spot for you and thanks again!
Monroe, Washington
Reviewed August 22, 2012

We reserved our room at the Vagabond two and half months prior to our stay last weekend solely based on the reviews we read. It turned out to be a great choice. Yes, the road side exterior is modest and some of the furniture is dated but the total experience was fantastic. The property is well maintained and the location is amazing. The room was large and clean with plenty of amenities, the beds comfortable, and the view was incredible. On our first night we stepped out onto the balcony and was surprised to hear music coming from a neighboring balcony, no complaints here though because obviously the walls are well insulated. How wonderful it is to stay in a room and not be bombarded by the noises created by other guests. The service was also amazing! The Vagabond will definitely be our first choice for any future visits to Hood River.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Rebecca K
Thanks for your review! We're working on upgrading our long well-maintained furniture, and will continue upgrading in the meantime. Everyone is glad to hear that they could make your stay a great one. Thanks again.
Tacoma, WA
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Thanks to Trip Advisor's great reviews of this place, we gave it a shot and got more bang for our buck than we had hoped for. At first we thought it looked a little 1970's, from the street, but then discovered that was only the tip of the iceberg. There are 3 buildings behind the front building, on the edge of the cliff above the Columbia River. We had top floor stunning view rooms each night, one with a balcony and one without, including wind and kitesurfing viewing.

First night had free Santana former guitarist free concert, courtesy of the hotel next door on the right (heard, did not see this one!)

Staff were friendly and informative, room was clean, had attractive and functional structural and decorative room updates, grounds were beautiful, shady with birds, acorns, cats, and unusual foliage.

5$ breakfast special at Charburger was 5 minute walk away- food was excellent and lots of interesting antiques, literature and gracious staff there as well. Easy and immediate access to I 82 and Hood River happenings, short rock cliff trail by hotel, don't forget the "Fruit Loop" tour to see and sample Hood River fruit orchards, wineries, feed baby alpacas, and see views of Mt Hood and Mt Adams that you will not forget. This one's a keeper.

Room Tip: We got a free concert by having our room on the top of the farthest right building next to the adjac...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your review! We're going to keep on upgrading and making our place even better for everyone. The concert next door was Gregg Rolie; they're going to keep having concerts next door in the future, and we will have a few once we get done building our viewpoints. Thanks again!