All reviewsthe riverpinnacle suitehistoric columbiathe penthousepartial viewaveda productsfrench doorskite boardersmaster bedroomlarge walk in showercourtyard roomgas fireplacewine tastingromantic getawaywonderful roomclose to townroad noise
Reviewed September 2, 2012

My family and friends took over a good part of the resort for 2 nights in August to celebrate my daughter's wedding. The rooms, suites, and apartments, all had spectacular views of the Columbia River replete with bald eagles and wind surfers. The rooms ranged from very nicely appointed to fantastic (our 3 room condo was over the top), with all conveniences you would want. Staff was friendly and helpful. All my friends and family were delighted to have stayed. The Cliffs made a successful event even more memorable.

Room Tip: Get a River View in the front building for unlimited vistas
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 30, 2012 via mobile

I've had better stays at a motel 6! I had to come to Hood River for business and booked a nice room and brought my husband for the trip. Our room was tiny, which is ok. I had called ahead and confirmed an iron and the website also said our room had an iron. Well, come morning no iron in the room. Asked the front desk and they said "that particular room is too small for an iron" and they didn't have one I could use. Went to my meeting looking like a slob, and they couldn't even offer a sorry. I also asked for a recipt on checkout and they said they couldn't give me one because I booked online. "just print your email confirmation" well, for work that doesn't show I actually stayed their to get reimbursed. I tried explaining and she did she "simply couldnt do it". Also, parking sucked. Unless you're lucky to be one of the first 4 cars to your building, you have to drive down below or around back to a gravel lot, kinda like a fire lane. And park. Then hike through the gravel back to your building. Which, if your wear heels, ruins them. So bring spare shoes. I'm not a hotel snob by any means. I've stayed in hotels ranging from $35 to Lake Louise at over $1,500 a night. And been happy with both. This place though? Sucked. Oh and hubby adds "the walls are so thin you can hear the people next door turn the pages in the newspaper"

• Stayed: August 2012
6  Thank redheadedninja
sattoolong, Owner at Columbia Cliff Villas Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2012

Dear “Readheadedninja”,

Please allow me to address the issues you mentioned so TA readers might receive accurate information and be able to choose one of our rooms or suites that are sure to provide complete satisfaction and avoid the shortcomings you experienced.

Under normal circumstances, we usually have plenty of convenient, free, paved parking spaces (way more than 4) adjacent to all our buildings. Occasionally, owners or guests enjoy sharing the experience of our larger luxury villas by inviting guests of their own. If this occurs during a full house, we still have ample convenient, free, overflow parking in two adjacent lots with crushed rock surfaces. Upon request, we even offer free secure garages for guests traveling with exotic cars.

While I appreciate the humor in your husband’s comment, I would not want TA readers to be misled into thinking our rooms lack privacy. As several other TA reviews have posted, all of our rooms and suites were actually constructed with soundproofing measures far beyond normal hotel standards to assure quiet accommodations. However, some of the promotional rooms listed with Online Travel Agents (OTA) are lock-out rooms that can be connected to larger suites. Even though these suites are separated by extra thick, solid wood doors with full-perimeter soundproofing seals; like any hotel, it is not impossible to hear a door slam in a hallway.

OTAs typically negotiate rates to promote a hotel’s least expensive room option; and most of their websites have very limited space to provide full details about all their listings. The OTA then handles the online transaction directly with the guest and the hotel is ultimately paid a wholesale rate by the OTA. Unfortunately, the hotel was not part of the guest's transaction and has no record of how much the guest actually paid the OTA. Therefore, hotels are unable to print a receipt for the guest’s transaction with an OTA. We strongly encourage TA readers to visit our website and contact us directly for the most complete information, pictures and floor plans of our wide variety of rooms and suites, as well as details of our special offers.

In this case, the promotional room being offered by the OTA was a lock-out that normally attaches to a the larger suite - which (unfortunately) included the closet with the iron and ironing board. However, our staff is trained to promptly deliver an iron and ironing board to these rooms upon request. If we failed to do so, please accept my sincere apology. To assure that we provide complete guest satisfaction in the future, I have reviewed this procedure with our front desk and housekeeping staffs and have asked our manager to resource a wall storage system so we can keep irons and boards in these promotional rooms as well. I hope you will reconsider and visit us again to see more of what we have to offer and discover why most of our guests rave about the accommodations and service they consistently receive from our friendly staff.

Happy travels,
Steve Tessmer, GM

Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

New, clean well decorated, comfortable. The excellent staff goes out of their way to be helpful. Aveda soaps, marble and hardwood floors, say no more! Small rooms for a business overnighter and huge suites with princess tubs for a romantic getaway I am a huge fan of the villas!

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Modern facilities with comfortable bed and nice big modern bathroom full of Aveda products. Very clean, very quiet and private. Loved the courtyard between the Villas and the Columbia Gorge Hotel. Staff was extremely friendly and accommodating. We have already planned our next trip to Hood River for the Harvest Fest and will be staying there again. Recommend highly.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Took a chance on the Columbia Cliff Villas when we arrived too late for a B & B. Got a lower room rate from front desk even though place was almost full. Pleasant room that was clean and nicely furnished. Only complaint was size of the shower. I'm not that large but I found it tight. Wished we could have stayed longer

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
sattoolong, Owner at Columbia Cliff Villas Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2012

Dear Mr. K, Thank you for staying with us and taking time to post your (mostly) positive review. We also wish that you could have stayed longer and discovered more of what we have to offer. For future reference - and for the benefit of those who read your posting - Columbia Cliff Villas offers a wide variety of rooms and suites, most with spacious double walk-in showers. We love last-minute walk-ins but it's usually best to reserve ahead of time for best selection. You may notice from other reviews that our guests frequently rave about our accommodations, breathtaking views and services provided by our concierge staff. If you stay in a larger river view room on your next trip and take time to walk to one of the several great nearby restaurants, I'm sure you will see why so many guests prefer our cliff-edge location - over 200' above the Columbia River. You can find several pictures and more information about our accommodations everything the Gorge has to offer on our website. Happy travels! Steve Tessmer, GM