All reviewsthe riverpinnacle suitehistoric columbiathe penthousepartial viewaveda productsfrench doorskite boardersmaster bedroomlarge walk in showercourtyard roomgas fireplacewine tastingromantic getawaywonderful roomclose to townroad noise
Reviewed May 24, 2012

Attended a wine festival in Hood River and enjoyed this charming small town. Columbia Cliff Villas caught my eye as I drove into town.

The good: Brand new, very clean, nicely decorated, comfortable bed, upscale amenities.
The not so good: Small room, no elevator, freeway noise, no on site work out room and you need a shoe horn for parking and access.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Greg M
sattoolong, Owner at Columbia Cliff Villas Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2012

Dear Greg M,
Thank you for staying with us and attending the Wine & Pear Festival - it's a great annual event that brings in a pretty large crowd and helps our Rotary Club raise funds for many worthy causes. We appreciate your compliments about our room. However, as an owner/manager, it's my job to address anything that is less than perfect.

From your posting, it sounds like you found one of our last available "Euro" rooms as a walk-in guest on that sold-out weekend. Unfortunately, our only available room was near a temporary construction area where we were repairing some winter storm damage - that project has now been completed. My staff informed me that you were shown the room and accepted it with the (construction) discount she offered.

Busy weekends can also put pressure on our main parking lot. If our front desk staff neglected to inform you of our two convenient overflow parking lots, we apologize for any inconvenience. We always have plenty of free parking.

While we do offer several types of rooms and suites (including some "Euro" rooms) that ARE served by elevator, apparently those were occupied by the time you arrived. In fact, most of our rooms and suites are larger (some much larger) – they are not only served by elevator, but many of our best options are located on the river side of the building, overlooking the Gorge, where the primary sound is the 200' waterfall, right next door. You can find all the details, pictures and floor plans on our website.

I sincerely wish we had had more options to offer when you dropped in and would like to invite you back to experience one of them.

In today's world of internet information, many savvy travelers rely on TripAdvisor for making their decisions. As you can see from most of our reviews, our guest satisfaction level is normally much higher.

My deep concern is that your posting might mislead readers into thinking that we don't have elevators, we are under construction, and there is no parking. The result could mean a substantial financial blow to our small business, during our busiest time of year. And I'm sure that was not your intention. Given the positive comments you opened with and the above circumstances, I would greatly appreciate it if you would reconsider your overall evaluation until you have had a chance to return and experience more of what we have to offer.

Steve Tessmer, Owner/Manager

Reviewed April 16, 2012

My husband surprised me with a room here for our anniversary! We stayed in 25b which is a small room attached to one of the larger suites. It was small, and facing the freeway but lovely nonetheless. My husband made this reservation last minute, so next time we come we will try for one of the river view rooms!

The beds are firm, the pillows soft, and we really enjoyed the Aveda toiletries and Kurig coffee machine!

You can also go next door to the historical hotel next door for meals and drinks. We enjoyed listening to a piano player in the bar area.

It's a little pricey, but it's a beautiful location and well worth it for a special occasion.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed April 15, 2012

The Columbia Cliff Villas is a beautiful facility with a great location. It is perched right on the Columbia River and because it is next door to the Columbia Gorge Hotel, you can walk through their gardens and see the waterfall that flows between the two properties. The room itself was stunning--especially the bathroom. The shower was huge with two shower heads and Aveda bath products. However, we were annoyed by the "thinness" of the walls. The room next door to us had a party. It was over was by 10, but it certainly put a damper on our romantic retreat. The best solution to the problem was to put on the TV to drown out the noise. Also, a freight train runs along the river below the level of the hotel, which was annoying. Lastly, our comparable ocean front hotel at the beach cost $50 a night less that our hotel in Hood River, and after the party, that was a bitter pill to swallow.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kk0tt
Reviewed April 10, 2012

The suites are beautiful, luxurious and clean. We were celebrating my dad's birthday. And all of us had a great time in the villa. They have guides in every room to enjoy hood river activities. The staff is also very helpful. I called them after hours to find a place for dinner and they were great helping me find a good dinner spot.

The reason I pulled 1 star is because of the price. They are expensive.

Room Tip: Call ahead if you are checking in late. Staff is not on location after hours.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 8, 2012

Loved the room.. So beautiful.. Equip with a very nice fireplace, Mini fridge, big open shower with rain shower head and a second movable shower head.. Loved the rooms design and decor.. never seen a more gorgeous bed to rest my head.. I got so many ideas about how I would set up my master bedroom from this model.. The staff was great, friendly, nice and knowledgeable about the area.. Housekeeping did a good job..

Now for why I would give a review with only three stars..

We booked the grand courtyard room.. Asked the staff if there was a continental breakfast and was told, "no".. Okay that's fine, but who does that, and have you seen the room prices? We were told that our room was on the third floor.. The nice lady about my mothers age asked if she could help carry our bags up the stairs.. Yes, the stairs there was no elevator in this building.. Now what kind of people would we be if we said yes, Lady take up my bags? I could walk the stairs if needed. but, really I was never asked if this would be a problem when I CALLED to book my room.. It could have been, and to find out on check in.. What if there were no other available rooms that would not be good. We we entered the room and was told that they did not have phones in the rooms.. Very understandable given so many of us have cells now days.. We could use them if there is a need to call the office.. Ok.. There is a mini fridge with the smallest ice tray in it.. So cute really.. But we wanted to have some drinks and I noticed that I didn't see an ice machine anywhere.. So FIRST cell call to the office :) when I asked the guy if there was an ice machine in the building he said no, that we have a tray in the fridge.. I seen that cute thing.. I asked three times before he offered to bring some up.. Which did take a while.. Just another reason I can't see luxury.. The heat was the biggest problem by far.. We could not find the thermostat in the room. It got very hot.. Called the office and they said the heat was controlled there and would adjust it.. I asked them to turn it off, that I would like to use our fireplace if I needed heat.. Called the office twice more about the heat, still toooo hot.. We had to open the window every night and sleep to the traffic noise because of this.. Idk.. Some people like to sleep to noise. Others maybe not so much.. We could not enjoy having a fireplace in the room.. There was no way we would turn that on.. On the last night of our stay.. The adjoining town house was rented.. I went to bed with kids running up and down the stairs.. Oh and woke up to this too.. Really.. And the wood doors between the rooms let thru even the slightest noises.. Btw, I love kids have five of my own.. But this was my weekend away and they sounded like they were right in my room..

No microwave, ice machine, telephones, continental breakfast (can u imagine, the staff said that we could feel free to visit the Columbia Gorge Hotel next door, they offer complimentary coffee to the guest here.. Just sad, are you saying the the hotel next door will take better care of YOUR guest?

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Eisha H
sattoolong, Owner at Columbia Cliff Villas Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2012

Dear Eisha,
First and foremost, thank you for the very nice comments you posted about the décor, comfort and staff at Columbia Cliff Villas. We appreciate your patronage and input.

As an owner and the General Manager, it is my responsibility to focus on the less-than-perfect items you cited, address each of them and see if there is anything we can do to improve and earn your complete approval on your next visit.

Apparently, you were visiting when we had a temporary problem with our central heating system that affected our Grand Courtyard rooms and I sincerely apologize for that inconvenience. We have made the necessary repairs and are in the process of updating some of our new equipment to further improve comfort control in this room type.

When guests visit our website, they will find that we offer a wide variety of rooms and suites at many different price points; most of which are served by an elevator. Due to demand or possibly a special offer, all options may not have been available when you chose the Grand Courtyard room, which is accessed by two flights of stairs. As noted, our staff includes friendly and helpful men and women who are all qualified to assist with baggage and always offer to do so.

To avoid confusion on such amenities, we encourage our guests to make their reservation directly with us by phone or through our website for the most complete and accurate information about our facilities, including that this room type is accessed by stairs only. Unfortunately, it is not unusual for third-party online travel agents to overlook such details. Online services primarily sell promotional rooms, which frequently eliminates many options for guests seeking a hotel’s best accommodations or specific needs.

Due to our location in the heart of a National Scenic Area, recreational opportunities, and recognition as one of the nation's top wine regions, Hood River has become a very popular destination that is served by a limited inventory of nice hotel rooms. As you mentioned, ours were designed like you would want your home to be - and that does cost a little extra. Due to the wide variety of rooms and suites we offer, guests will find our rates to be very competitive in this market, at several price points.

Based on input from our clientele, most of our guests seem to prefer having our knowledgeable concierge staff help them seek out one of the many wonderful area restaurants, rather than a breakfast buffet line. The most convenient (for breakfast, lunch and dinner) is just a short garden-walk away in the adjacent historic Columbia Gorge Hotel & Spa building. As noted on our website, our new facility was designed and built to compliment the architecture of the old hotel and create several modern, luxurious lodging options for guests who enjoy this historic and reputable dining venue.

Upon request and without charge, we gladly provide hard-wired phones with local and long-distance calling and we are happy to deliver ice to any room or suite, usually within 5-10 minutes, 24/7.

I’m hoping the above information sheds some additional light on your posted comments and might encourage you to reconsider your overall evaluation. In today’s world of online reviews, anything less than perfect can be devastating to a small business like ourselves. Based on your opening comments, I doubt that was your intent. Please come back and stay with us again so we can demonstrate our commitment to perfection. Subject to availability, we will happily provide a complimentary room upgrade to compensate for the heating system issue encountered on your last visit.

Happy travels,