“Beautiful, but a bit pricey.”

Columbia Cliff Villas Hotel
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Hood River
Chicago, Illinois
“Beautiful, but a bit pricey.”
Reviewed April 15, 2012

The Columbia Cliff Villas is a beautiful facility with a great location. It is perched right on the Columbia River and because it is next door to the Columbia Gorge Hotel, you can walk through their gardens and see the waterfall that flows between the two properties. The room itself was stunning--especially the bathroom. The shower was huge with two shower heads and Aveda bath products. However, we were annoyed by the "thinness" of the walls. The room next door to us had a party. It was over was by 10, but it certainly put a damper on our romantic retreat. The best solution to the problem was to put on the TV to drown out the noise. Also, a freight train runs along the river below the level of the hotel, which was annoying. Lastly, our comparable ocean front hotel at the beach cost $50 a night less that our hotel in Hood River, and after the party, that was a bitter pill to swallow.

1 Thank kk0tt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Issaquah, Washington
Reviewed April 10, 2012

The suites are beautiful, luxurious and clean. We were celebrating my dad's birthday. And all of us had a great time in the villa. They have guides in every room to enjoy hood river activities. The staff is also very helpful. I called them after hours to find a place for dinner and they were great helping me find a good dinner spot.

The reason I pulled 1 star is because of the price. They are expensive.

Room Tip: Call ahead if you are checking in late. Staff is not on location after hours.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Vancouver, Washington, United States
Reviewed April 8, 2012

Loved the room.. So beautiful.. Equip with a very nice fireplace, Mini fridge, big open shower with rain shower head and a second movable shower head.. Loved the rooms design and decor.. never seen a more gorgeous bed to rest my head.. I got so many ideas about how I would set up my master bedroom from this model.. The staff was great, friendly, nice and knowledgeable about the area.. Housekeeping did a good job..

Now for why I would give a review with only three stars..

We booked the grand courtyard room.. Asked the staff if there was a continental breakfast and was told, "no".. Okay that's fine, but who does that, and have you seen the room prices? We were told that our room was on the third floor.. The nice lady about my mothers age asked if she could help carry our bags up the stairs.. Yes, the stairs there was no elevator in this building.. Now what kind of people would we be if we said yes, Lady take up my bags? I could walk the stairs if needed. but, really I was never asked if this would be a problem when I CALLED to book my room.. It could have been, and to find out on check in.. What if there were no other available rooms that would not be good. We we entered the room and was told that they did not have phones in the rooms.. Very understandable given so many of us have cells now days.. We could use them if there is a need to call the office.. Ok.. There is a mini fridge with the smallest ice tray in it.. So cute really.. But we wanted to have some drinks and I noticed that I didn't see an ice machine anywhere.. So FIRST cell call to the office :) when I asked the guy if there was an ice machine in the building he said no, that we have a tray in the fridge.. I seen that cute thing.. I asked three times before he offered to bring some up.. Which did take a while.. Just another reason I can't see luxury.. The heat was the biggest problem by far.. We could not find the thermostat in the room. It got very hot.. Called the office and they said the heat was controlled there and would adjust it.. I asked them to turn it off, that I would like to use our fireplace if I needed heat.. Called the office twice more about the heat, still toooo hot.. We had to open the window every night and sleep to the traffic noise because of this.. Idk.. Some people like to sleep to noise. Others maybe not so much.. We could not enjoy having a fireplace in the room.. There was no way we would turn that on.. On the last night of our stay.. The adjoining town house was rented.. I went to bed with kids running up and down the stairs.. Oh and woke up to this too.. Really.. And the wood doors between the rooms let thru even the slightest noises.. Btw, I love kids have five of my own.. But this was my weekend away and they sounded like they were right in my room..

No microwave, ice machine, telephones, continental breakfast (can u imagine, the staff said that we could feel free to visit the Columbia Gorge Hotel next door, they offer complimentary coffee to the guest here.. Just sad, are you saying the the hotel next door will take better care of YOUR guest?

3 Thank Eisha H
sattoolong, Owner at Columbia Cliff Villas Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2012
Dear Eisha,
First and foremost, thank you for the very nice comments you posted about the décor, comfort and staff at Columbia Cliff Villas. We appreciate your patronage and input.

As an owner and the General Manager, it is my responsibility to focus on the less-than-perfect items you cited, address each of them and see if there is anything we can do to improve and earn your complete approval on your next visit.

Apparently, you were visiting when we had a temporary problem with our central heating system that affected our Grand Courtyard rooms and I sincerely apologize for that inconvenience. We have made the necessary repairs and are in the process of updating some of our new equipment to further improve comfort control in this room type.

When guests visit our website, they will find that we offer a wide variety of rooms and suites at many different price points; most of which are served by an elevator. Due to demand or possibly a special offer, all options may not have been available when you chose the Grand Courtyard room, which is accessed by two flights of stairs. As noted, our staff includes friendly and helpful men and women who are all qualified to assist with baggage and always offer to do so.

To avoid confusion on such amenities, we encourage our guests to make their reservation directly with us by phone or through our website for the most complete and accurate information about our facilities, including that this room type is accessed by stairs only. Unfortunately, it is not unusual for third-party online travel agents to overlook such details. Online services primarily sell promotional rooms, which frequently eliminates many options for guests seeking a hotel’s best accommodations or specific needs.

Due to our location in the heart of a National Scenic Area, recreational opportunities, and recognition as one of the nation's top wine regions, Hood River has become a very popular destination that is served by a limited inventory of nice hotel rooms. As you mentioned, ours were designed like you would want your home to be - and that does cost a little extra. Due to the wide variety of rooms and suites we offer, guests will find our rates to be very competitive in this market, at several price points.

Based on input from our clientele, most of our guests seem to prefer having our knowledgeable concierge staff help them seek out one of the many wonderful area restaurants, rather than a breakfast buffet line. The most convenient (for breakfast, lunch and dinner) is just a short garden-walk away in the adjacent historic Columbia Gorge Hotel & Spa building. As noted on our website, our new facility was designed and built to compliment the architecture of the old hotel and create several modern, luxurious lodging options for guests who enjoy this historic and reputable dining venue.

Upon request and without charge, we gladly provide hard-wired phones with local and long-distance calling and we are happy to deliver ice to any room or suite, usually within 5-10 minutes, 24/7.

I’m hoping the above information sheds some additional light on your posted comments and might encourage you to reconsider your overall evaluation. In today’s world of online reviews, anything less than perfect can be devastating to a small business like ourselves. Based on your opening comments, I doubt that was your intent. Please come back and stay with us again so we can demonstrate our commitment to perfection. Subject to availability, we will happily provide a complimentary room upgrade to compensate for the heating system issue encountered on your last visit.

Happy travels,
Steve Tessmer, Owner & GM
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed April 7, 2012

What a great place to stay. We were upgraded to a river view room which did indeed have a lovely view. The desk clerks were great-they even gave us a tour of the room and helpful hints about dealing with the wind. The room was elegant and luxuriant. The robes were soft and comfortable. We only have one minor complaint-we wish the bathroom had better lighting. Overall this was a great experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view.
Reviewed March 25, 2012

For a recent visit to Hood River, my husband and I booked a Euro queen room. I really did want to love this hotel but it turned out to be a triumph of "form over function". The look of the place is splendid. The accommodations are done with the latest, upscale interior designs. Our room was beautiful and scrupulously clean. But the actual function is where our stay began to falter.

There was no individual thermostat for heat in our room. In the closet was a small space heater we had to use to keep the room warm. We didn't have a need for air conditioning. But the set up for heat control did make me wonder how the a/c could be controlled in summer.

The hotel's own website listed a mini-fridge as a room amenity. There wasn't one in our room. We ran out of ice to chill our wine and wanted more but the staff had gone home for the evening so we couldn't get any.

In the middle of our first night, the toilet began running constantly. With no staff on site overnight, my husband ended up having to play plumber to a sticky float valve. Yuck.

The shower had a "rain fall" shower head. I understand some people enjoy the gentle cascade. We prefer something that actually rinses soap and shampoo away. And the shower was small. It required some of my yoga skills to maneuver into position to shave my legs.

The stopper in the sink didn't work adequately. I wear contact lenses. Being able to rinse them without worrying about them washing away is a pretty basic need.

With the wind blowing at night, there was a constant clanking sound coming from outside. We never did identify what was causing it. Maybe something on a flag pole? Maybe wind chimes somewhere? Whatever it was, I ended up using ear plugs on our second night.

I am not a guest who nitpicks about hotels. And it devastates me to have to be so negative about Columbia Cliff Villas. However, there were just too many irritations to overlook. So sad for such a beautiful place. :(

PS The staff was magnificent....warm, welcoming, helpful. The downfall with staffing lies with management's choice not to have personnel on site 24 hours a day.

Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
14 Thank JakeandGrace
sattoolong, Owner at Columbia Cliff Villas Hotel, responded to this review, March 27, 2012
Dear JakeandGrace,
After a long run with nothing but great reviews, our staff and I were appalled to read your recent posting. We take our guest's comments very seriously and immediately looked into the flaws you noted.
You chose one of our Euro Queen rooms that is controlled by a central heating and air conditioning system. These smaller rooms are typically adjoined to the larger Pinnacle suite for guests requiring more than one sleeping room but are also used for promotional price points during our off season. As you noticed, we have equipped these rooms with ceiling fans and supplemental heaters for the rare instances when guests might prefer to adjust the constant temperatures.
With the exception of these smaller Euro Queen rooms, we do provide mini-fridges or full kitchens in all our other rooms and suites. We recently completed a major update on our website and, after your posting, discovered that we inadvertently listed the mini-fridge in that room. We have already made the correction on our website and apologize for the short-term inaccuracy, it was certainly not intentional.
We also offer large soaking tubs and spacious walk-in showers in most of our accommodations.
We can't figure out what noise you might have heard; we do not have a flag pole and certainly do not have wind chimes. It may have been the custom wood blinds if your window was open, which might also help explain the cooler room temperature. You can bet that we will look into it further next time the wind kicks in and make any corrections necessary.
Even though our reception lobby closes at 9pm (or later when we have late check-ins), we always have on-site staff on call 24/7 to answer phones, deliver ice and assist guests with anything that might come up. Our phone number is posted on the lobby door, room key cards and several places in the room. Unfortunately, our staff did not receive any calls or comments from you during your 2-night stay. Otherwise, we would have repaired any plumbing problems immediately or gladly moved you to another room, if necessary.
None the less, we certainly recognize that you were inconvenienced by these flaws. Our entire staff would like to make it up to you and show you more of what we have to offer by providing a complimentary room upgrade on your next visit.
Even though we greatly appreciate your positive comments about our staff, interiors and cleanliness, your overall rating was even more devastating than you may realize. As you can see from virtually all of the other reviews, your experience was a drastic exception to our customer satisfaction rating. There is a reason that we have been the top-rated Hood River hotel for over a year.
So many of today's travelers rely on TripAdvisor to make their decisions that your 2 out of 5 rating is likely to bump us out of that position, which could cost our relatively small business several thousand dollars over the upcoming peak-season. We sincerely hope you can put all this in perspective and understand that we could easily have solved these unusual problems if you had just called the front desk. We would greatly appreciate you modifying or retracting your review, at least until you have had another chance to visit and let us prove ourselves to you.
Steve Tessmer
Portland
Reviewed March 22, 2012

We have always looked forward to our trips out to Hood River and this time was another great stay at the Columbia Cliff Villas. So many things to like, the fireplaces, the views and the well-appointed rooms, but this time we were especially impressed by the staff's outstanding service. We made some last minute reservations and when I explained that my wife is recuperating from a back injury, Tracy was able to upgrade our room to one that had a large soaking tub. It was much appreciated and made for a very soothing, relaxing weekend. Thanks again!

Room Tip: Tell them about your plans because they have a lot of different layouts and they make every effort t...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank K_MPortland
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed March 16, 2012

Clean, quiet, special on price for that night...

If you don't have a villa with a kitchen quick drive into town.

Room Tip: Just ask as there are many different sizes and accommodations face river or not..Villas, Penthouses...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#7 of 8 in Hood River
Best Western Plus Columbia River Inn

Been to Columbia Cliff Villas Hotel? Share your experiences!