“old school-great stay”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Seattle
“old school-great stay”
Reviewed November 14, 2008

I read some of the other negative reviews and we had our doubts. But my husband and I went into Hood River from Seattle and thought it was great.

The staff was is old school -if that is possible anymore, we hang out in the hotel lobby and the front desk staff kept coming over to the fireplace to throw firewood on the fire-like all night long! We got the riverview 'special' for $89. They have a dining lodging combo for $149 You have to ask about the internet special...they didn't talk about it when we called in was only after I said I was looking at the special internet. They gave it to me right away but they just didn't offer it before I said something.

I don't know why they had should crappy reviews, maybe they have changed staff since 2007. Day two - But we had fun in Hood River we ate at Celilo Restaurant next to the hotel for dinner, the service was a little slow but we enjoyed the food. We really like the little movie theater across the street from the hotel, it was a mini local theater.

We enjoyed Hood River and the hotel and will return again.

Karen

• Liked — Staff is reaaly friendly
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Oregon
Reviewed October 12, 2008

The staff at the Hood River Hotel is AWESOME. They are so accommodating and friendly. Everyone was great - Front Desk, Cafe and Housekeeping.

What a neat old place! And we loved hearing about Ola Bell, the resident ghost.

We also enjoyed the Jacuzzi and dry sauna.

Can't wait to get back to Hood River!

Forgot to mention - the GREAT food too.

• Liked — The staff & the old hotel
  • Disliked — Nothing - it was great
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
Boston
Reviewed August 21, 2008

Wish I had read the reviews before I stayed at the Hood River Hotel. Staff extremely helpful, the rest was awful. Train noise, car and people noises from parking lot for Pizzeria, broken glass & garbage noises, slamming hotel doors late into the night and early in the morning. No on site parking, metered street parking only. Glad we booked only one night!

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — The noise
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank catsmeow1944
Wenatchee, Washington
Reviewed June 29, 2008

Noise is a significant problem. This is not the right place to stay if you need sleep! Also, the tub drain was clogged, so we were not able to take showers.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank Harriet58
Portland, OR
Reviewed April 17, 2008

This hotel is in a great location but if you want a good night sleep forget about it. You might as well be sleeping with the windows open they are so old and thin and the noise...It's THE main street and the trucks at night were going all night long. The furnace was so old and loud. Basically I was up about 10 times because almost every truck that passed woke up my 6 month old baby it was that loud. There isn't many options in Hood River but I would try a B&B or the Columbia River Hotel first.

Good luck!

• Liked — Location-can walk to everything
  • Disliked — Noise, outsated
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank Portlandmama
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed October 29, 2007

Let me start by saying that we NEEDED a relaxing vacation and was really looking forward to the weekend.
This was a shared vacation with our friends in room 206, the room was nice and spacious and had nice clean feel to it.
We gave the room to our friends and opted for the hide a bed couch to sleep on, well big mistake #1, the mattress consisted of maybe 2 inches of foam and we were able to feel every bar across our body.
Then the noise begins, cars without mufflers, teenagers screaming on sidewalk, train traveling through every hour (I am NOT kidding) and yes the lovely dumpster being dumped LOUDLY at 4:30 am only to be followed by the glass recyclers at like 5:30 am, the music for the main lobby was turned on every am at 5am and you could hear the thumping of the bass on the walls, the toilet ran every 45 minutes as if it were flushing and did I mention the creaky floors above and beside us?
Truly, I am recovering from this terrible hotel stay today, I stayed home to SLEEP!
So basically we paid 180.00 a night for 2 nights of pure neurosis.

I also can agree that the staff is a wee bit socially inept and seem to in general not care about your stay, I would never recommend this place and even if I won a free week stay, I would PASS.

• Liked — Seriously, the only thing that was good was the free soaps and quality lotion!
  • Disliked — The noise, the uncontrollable radiator, the worst mattress, pretty much EVERYTHING.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Covertkimbo
portland, oregon
Reviewed September 29, 2007

I consider myself to be a fairly tolerant traveler. I can put up with a certain level of "funkiness" in a hotel. Unfortunately, our 2-night stay in room 204 at the Hood River Hotel was over the top when it came to bad hotel attributes. This is my new #1 hotel in the world to avoid.

Much of what I wanted to write has been noted already on this website. But, I must point out the noise just one more time. The NOISE! Oh my, it reminded me of living under a railroad bridge or staying in one of those really, really low-cost hotels that are right next to the freeway. I slept very little in two nights and actually considered leaving the hotel, but there was nothing available and I didn't want to drive home after a great time previously in Eastern Washington for vacation.

So, without going into repetitive detail here, I'll just say that if you want to lie awake at night listening to the rumbling trains, the kids hanging out in the Pietro's Pizza parking lot, the squeaking floors/pounding feet above and below you, then book this hotel. Pay for the rustic hotel (which is very cool) but plan to get terrible front desk service/attitude, tiny rooms and no sleep.

Oh yes, and why did we book this hotel and not read TripAdvisor first? Good question. See, the hotel is across the street from our favorite Hood River restaurant (Celilo) and we thought it would be "fun" to stay at the hotel after dinner. What a bad move that was.

• Liked — Location