“Don't waste your time.”

Hood River Vineyards
Ranked #41 of 70 things to do in Hood River
More attraction details
Owner description: We are a small, family-owned and operated vineyard and winery in one of the grape-growing “sweet spots” of the Pacific Northwest, the Columbia River Gorge (now an official AVA), more specifically the Hood River Valley.
Eugene, Oregon
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Don't waste your time.”
Reviewed April 7, 2012

We do a lot of wine tasting and usually we can find one or two wines at every vineyard. In our opinion all their wines are not worth drinking.

Visited April 2012

Seattle, Washington
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Great Fruit wines”
Reviewed November 27, 2011

Wine is such a personal taste and I am a believer that you must make the choice on your own. This winery is a small operation and is up on a dirt road. They grow most if not all their berries on their property and have been doing this for a number of years. I personally was not a fan of their traditional white or reds BUT really enjoyed their fruit ports. My girlfriend and I were amazed at the rasberry forward port that was so delicious. I highly recommend those that are port or fruit wine fans to stop hear for a tasting.

Visited November 2011
Ennis, Montana
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Awful sorry”
Reviewed September 18, 2011

My wife and I love to try new wines and have a glass of wine with dinner most nights. We're not novices at tasting; we know our wines. Hood River Vineyards was recommended in local guide materials so we looked forward to a visit.

The woman in the tasting room could not have been nicer. It's not a fancy facility, but our experience is that some of these small wineries can be real gems. We tasted six wines for the $5 fee: Chardonnay, Riesling, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, Late Bottled Riesling, and Zinfandel Port. There were some sweet fruit wines that we did not taste.

There was virtually no taste difference between the Chardonnay and Riesling. Both were flabby and alcoholic. Frankly we've had "critter" wines that were better.

The Pinot Noir probably told the whole story. When poured into the glass it had clearly oxidized. The taste was off. Clearly this wine had been opened many days before. At that point we realized that the two white wines had probably also been left open for a few days.

The Cabernet Sauvignon was undrinkable. The Late Bottled Riesling tasted strongly of yeast. We desperately wanted to find something about this winery or the wines to appreciate, so we tried the Zinfandel Port. It had a classic port nose, but the taste was very thin with way too much alcohol.

The wines at Hood River Vineyards were just awful. We're sorry.

Our recommendation: Don't even drive in the road. Give these folks a few years to learn about storing and presenting their wines.

Visited September 2011
1 Thank MTDave_11
California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“poured it out”
Reviewed July 29, 2011

While in the Hood River area I wanted to try a local wine and bought a bottle of Hood River Vineyards Pinot Noir at a large grocery chain. The next day we had the opportunity to go wine tasting in the area. I looked particularly for this winery. We arrived just after the tasting room had closed but I was stunned by the appearance of the vines on the property around the tasting room. There were weeds all around and the vines appeared poorly maintained. I commented to my husband that the appearance of the vines did not speak well for the quality of the wine.

That evening we opened the bottle and after a few sips poured it down the drain even though it had cost more than $20. It tasked like cheap plum wine and we thought it may have turned. We spent the evening enjoying a bottle of wine from a neighbboring vineyard. I am very surprised that a large chain which has a substantial wine department would carry this product. Beware!

Visited July 2011
Columbus, GA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Friendly, Unpretentious Wine Tasting Experience”
Reviewed June 21, 2009

My husband and I are in our mid-twenties. He's a junior officer in the Army (1LT) and I am a law student. We enjoy drinking wine and are attempting to learn more about it, but are far from being amateur sommeliers. We stopped in the Hood River tasting room, and had an excellent experience. The proprietors of the vineyard run the tasting room themselves and couldn't be more down to earth. Anne Lerch, the "winemaven" served us, and gave a thorough description of each wine. She quickly put us at ease, though we were obviously wine novices. All in all, it was a great experience.

1 Thank MeganEDavis7