“Awful sorry”

Hood River Vineyards
Ranked #65 of 73 things to do in Hood River
More attraction details
Owner description: We are a small, family-owned and operated vineyard and winery in one of the grape-growing “sweet spots” of the Pacific Northwest, the Columbia River Gorge (now an official AVA), more specifically the Hood River Valley.
Reviewed September 18, 2011

My wife and I love to try new wines and have a glass of wine with dinner most nights. We're not novices at tasting; we know our wines. Hood River Vineyards was recommended in local guide materials so we looked forward to a visit.

The woman in the tasting room could not have been nicer. It's not a fancy facility, but our experience is that some of these small wineries can be real gems. We tasted six wines for the $5 fee: Chardonnay, Riesling, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, Late Bottled Riesling, and Zinfandel Port. There were some sweet fruit wines that we did not taste.

There was virtually no taste difference between the Chardonnay and Riesling. Both were flabby and alcoholic. Frankly we've had "critter" wines that were better.

The Pinot Noir probably told the whole story. When poured into the glass it had clearly oxidized. The taste was off. Clearly this wine had been opened many days before. At that point we realized that the two white wines had probably also been left open for a few days.

The Cabernet Sauvignon was undrinkable. The Late Bottled Riesling tasted strongly of yeast. We desperately wanted to find something about this winery or the wines to appreciate, so we tried the Zinfandel Port. It had a classic port nose, but the taste was very thin with way too much alcohol.

The wines at Hood River Vineyards were just awful. We're sorry.

Our recommendation: Don't even drive in the road. Give these folks a few years to learn about storing and presenting their wines.

2  Thank MTDave_11

Reviewed July 29, 2011

While in the Hood River area I wanted to try a local wine and bought a bottle of Hood River Vineyards Pinot Noir at a large grocery chain. The next day we had the opportunity to go wine tasting in the area. I looked particularly for this winery. We arrived just after the tasting room had closed but I was stunned by the appearance of the vines on the property around the tasting room. There were weeds all around and the vines appeared poorly maintained. I commented to my husband that the appearance of the vines did not speak well for the quality of the wine.

That evening we opened the bottle and after a few sips poured it down the drain even though it had cost more than $20. It tasked like cheap plum wine and we thought it may have turned. We spent the evening enjoying a bottle of wine from a neighbboring vineyard. I am very surprised that a large chain which has a substantial wine department would carry this product. Beware!

Reviewed June 21, 2009

My husband and I are in our mid-twenties. He's a junior officer in the Army (1LT) and I am a law student. We enjoy drinking wine and are attempting to learn more about it, but are far from being amateur sommeliers. We stopped in the Hood River tasting room, and had an excellent experience. The proprietors of the vineyard run the tasting room themselves and couldn't be more down to earth. Anne Lerch, the "winemaven" served us, and gave a thorough description of each wine. She quickly put us at ease, though we were obviously wine novices. All in all, it was a great experience.

1  Thank MeganEDavis7
Reviewed August 14, 2008

On a recent trip (August, 2008) through the Columbia River Valley, my husband and I made a special effort to stop at the Hood River Vineyards - recommended in a Northwest Guidebook by Insight Guides. Our first red flag should have been that we were the only tourists there - and the tasting experience was so terrible - they should have paid us!

We tasted the Pinot Noir - and it was so astringent that we were a bit in disbelief. My husband asked if they fermented their grapes with the stems on (which can make a wine astringent) but the woman at the counter told us No, and the reason that their wine tasted different was that we were probably more familiar with drinking 'young' wines and their wines were 'aged'. (My husband and I are both wine connoisuers and most decent red wines will improve with age- not taste astringent.) We went on to taste their Zinfandel and their Cabernet Sauvignon and they were all terrible - and we concluded (after leaving) that they had all 'Turned' or gone rancid. This was mid-week, (July 31st ) and it appears they let their wines just sit on the counter, once they are opened.

After returning home, we spoke to some friends who were vacationing in the area the same time as us, and also stopped at the Hood River Tasting Room, and had the exact same experience. My suggestion is to take this one off your list - there are several Tasting Rooms and Wineries in this location, and had we known, we would certainly have chosen a different one.

3  Thank RkyMtnHigh