“Great to know about”

Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Oak St.
Description: We are open 7 nights a week for dinner at 5:00, and 7 mornings a week for breakfast: 8 to noon, Monday-Saturday, and 8 to 1 on Sunday. Voted "best restaurant food in the Gorge" and "Best Brunch" by readers of the Gorge Guide.
Reviewed September 1, 2014

Sometimes it is difficult to find a great meal while traveling in small towns, new cities, states, regions. You go with your instincts, reviews on social media sites, recommendations from locals, but in the end, it is all relative, isn't it? We cook a lot and come from the SF Bay Area, where there are very very good, often great restaurant choices, so we know what we like and have high expectations. We found great food, an impressive local wine list, knowledgeable staff, and a creative menu at Nora's Table in Hood River. The menu changes daily and seasonally so you are guaranteed fresh and local. The salmon is a no brainier in this region and the steak was great too. Try their lightly fried calamari starter, the gazpacho and the heirloom tomato caprese salad if it's summer. Would definitely go there again if we were in the region or passing through.

Reviewed August 26, 2014

For our recent anniversary, the hubby and I decided to spend the day up the Columbia River Gorge. Beautiful day, perfect driving conditions, great picture opportunities. We'd planned to stop in Hood River on the way home for an early dinner, and had two options planned. We changed our minds after reading a few reviews of Nora's Table, and boy were we glad we did!!!

Perfect service, delicious and locally sourced food, casually elegant atmosphere....all combined to make a fantastic experience. (When I called earlier to make reservations, I asked if they had a dress code, thinking we'd probably have to change out of our travel grubbies and into less travelled, less grubby slightly less casual attire we'd stuffed into bags at the last minute. No dress code, but they did recommend we wear clothes. Good thinking.)

We started with probably the two most delicious drinks we've ever had, including the peach margarita my husband declared The. Best. Margarita. Ever. Unfortunately, his was the last one, and because the glass wasn't filled to the brim, they gave it to us half price. Wow.

First course. Hubby: a delicious and stunningly presented heirloom tomato salad with fresh green and yellow beans, feta, and a lemon-tarragon vinaigrette. Me: smoky gazpacho. Verdicts: fresh, vibrant flavors...a great start.

Entrees: Hubby: Goan curry seafood stew with rice and grilled naan. Me: Lamb chops with creamed corn, gremolata and tomato gastrique. Verdicts: The hubby's seafood stew was amazing. Calamari, mussels, rockfish, scallops, all cooked perfectly, with lots of savory, soupy, curry sauce to soak up with the rice and the naan. He cut one of the chili pepper garnishes into a message for the kitchen: "YUM!" My lamb chops were cooked to exactly my level of doneness, somewhere nebulous between medium-rare and medium, a difficult task. The creamed corn wasn't heavy with cream, but tasted of summer. And I hid behind the high counter by which we were seated so I could literally lick my plate clean with my fingers (the hubby having devoured his naan) of that unctuous and amazing tomato gastrique. Must. Get. Recipe.

Desserts. Something we will usually order one of and split, but due to the incredible food and the celebratory moods we were in, we each ordered and shared. Hubby: peach cobbler with cinnamon roll topping and cinnamon ice cream. Me: panna cotta with blackberry sauce. Verdicts: empty plates. You figure it out. ;-)

Yes. We'd come here again.

Yes. We've already told everyone we know about this wonder.

Yes. We are already making plans to return.

Reviewed August 25, 2014

We felt at home here. Firstly, we were referred by the chef at highly rated, nearby Boda's Kitchen (which we walked into not realizing it was more of a lunch establishment). The server Stu was a genuine warmhearted type even by West Coast standards.

I get a bit nervous dining with my kids (5 + 1) but the staff was great, bringing crayons and fostering a super-chill atmosphere.

The food was truly excellent, with the grilled calamari on Asian greens and especially the Goan seafood curry being the stand outs. Local Sauvignon Blanc from a new winery paired perfectly. The bill - around $80 - paired really well also.

Reviewed August 19, 2014

Nora's Table is a must dining experience. The food does not get any better than this. We had the Wild Salmon. It was caught that day 6 miles away. It was the best Salmon I have ever had. The service was spot on. The waiter/owner recommended an excellent wine. It was $30 a bottle and it was delicious. We had been wine tasting in Willamette and it ranked as one of the top wines of the trip. All items on the menu are carefully and thoughtfully described. You know exactly where its coming from. In this case , all farm to table dining. The owner was very friendly, informative, warm and interesting. One of the great delights of Oregon is the sensitivity and care of sourcing the food. Unlike anywhere else that I have experienced. Also this is the friendliest state in the Union. Nora's Table is a shining example of the best of Oregon. Not to be missed. I highly recommend dining here. You will be delighted.

Reviewed August 18, 2014

We ate at this restaurant when we visited Hood River. The food and drinks were top notch. Definitely 5 stars for the food. The service, however, was a little rocky at the beginning of our meal. It did get better, but overall brought the overall experience down to a 4 star.