“We were disappointed.”

Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Oak St.
Description: We are open 7 nights a week for dinner at 5:00, and 7 mornings a week for breakfast: 8 to noon, Monday-Saturday, and 8 to 1 on Sunday. Voted "best restaurant food in the Gorge" and "Best Brunch" by readers of the Gorge Guide.
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Nora's was highly recommended and was a major disappointment. The food ranged from marginal to acceptable. However, compared to the service, it was outstanding. It is one thing being ignored; it is quite another to be insulted. Do the world a great service; pass Nora's by.

1  Thank Judy555
ChefKMW, Manager at Nora's Table, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Thanks for your comments, Judy.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

We had a late night dinner on a Friday night. Although we arrived really late they were very friendly and were happy to serve us. We decide to try several of there small plates/appetizers instead of a full size entree. We started with a wonderful appetizer with a wafer of pappadum, pork belly and a marinated carrot topping. It was a wonderful mix of flavors and textures! We then sample their mushroom soup which was rich, creamy and smooth. Yum! We also enjoy shrimp samosas and a few other dishes. Everything including the coffee caramel creme brulee was fabulous! Prices are in the medium ranges and the menu includes steaks and hamburgers. There are several dishes that have a little Indian spices added including homemade chutneys! Service was great!

ChefKMW, Owner at Nora's Table, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

We love Indian flavors, and flavors from most cuisines south of the equator. Glad you enjoyed your dinner, and yes, we think sampling the menu through numerous small plates is a great way to experience what we are doing here.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

Everything is close to special at this small bistro, but I have rarely had some sumptuous homemade soups as prepared in the small kitichen......unusual combination of fresh ingredients put together in ahighly imaginative fashion. But the fish and meat dishes are equally outstanding. Everything prepared lovingly that clearly shows the influence of the owner-chef. Have been there several times now....perhaps a bit slow in delivering the food to table when they get busy, but well worth the wait! Clearly one of the top places in the Columbia Gorge, and well worth the one hour drive from Portland. Note: I was surprised to read the negative review from December, as that has not at all been our experience.

ChefKMW, Owner at Nora's Table, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Glad you liked our soups! We try to keep in lock step with our farmers, creating soups from whatever they bring us for the week. This week we are serving a coconut pac choy soup with tat soi and peanuts and lime chili salsa.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

Nora's was one of my "go to" favorites here, starting back when it was called Nora's fish house. But my last three meals went from disappointing, to very distressing to down right bad. In Dec I tried my first burger there- which came very rare though I ordered med rare, with fries that were close to black although soft. And the waiter was no where around all meal to ask how it was, or to take care of any issues. Next time I went back and ordered one of my favorite- Goan seafood curry with rockfish and scallops- which came instead comprised of salmon belly- HUH? I caught our waiter to ask, and he (who happens to be one of the owners) said- well, they use other fish sometimes. UM- but they print the menu each day- and sorry, but salmon in curry is just bad. If it had been on the menu that way I would have ordered something else. Then last night. OH, my. A dish so bad it was mostly inedible. Butterfish, in a vegetable coulee with tempura style matchstick vegetables- ah, but the crispy tempura was on the bottom, so simply wet mush when arrived at the table. When I asked the waitress, she agreed it was bad- but then never told the kitchen, so veggies were never replaced. Fish tasted OK even though sauce was major yawn & the tempura was inedible, but by 10 that night I was thankful I hadn't eaten more, as night was not a fun event- up til almost 5am dealing with the results.

Sad to say, what had been one of my favorite spots is no longer a place I will risk. Maybe they should have stayed a 6 night a week place rather then 7days and breakfast- then maybe they could have kept their standards up.

2  Thank lori3_13
Reviewed November 25, 2012

I'm lucky to have family living in the area and so I get to experience a lot of the Best that Hood River and the Columbia Gorge have to offer. This trip I was treated to a Breakfast at Nora's Table that was really good. I had my mind made up on my order when the server/owner Stu told us that the morning special was a New York Steak Omelette with Shiitake Mushrooms, and Blue Cheese crumbles so being the flexible guy I am I instantly switched to that. The flavors were amazing! It came with roasted potatoes that were seasoned and cooked to perfection and artesianal bread. My brother in law Kevin ordered the Fried Chicken and waffle with sausage gravy and Stu recommended that he pour the maple syrup over everything and add a dash of hot sauce to get the salty, sweet spicy flavor all blended together. Kevin said it was one of the best breakfasts he had ever had. The fried Chicken was cooked to perfection and the waffle was light and fluffy. the coffee was strong (the way I like it) and all in all it was a great breakfast experience.

1  Thank Vneuman921