“This stop made our trip”

Western Antique Aeroplane & Automobile Museum
Ranked #2 of 69 things to do in Hood River
More attraction details
Owner description: The WAAAM Air & Auto Museum has one of the largest collections of still-flying antique aeroplanes and still-driving antique automobiles in the country. The items on display at this museum are not only full of history, they're full of LIFE! Enjoy over two acres of indoor exhibit space.
Anchorage, Alaska
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 100 helpful votes
“This stop made our trip”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

This place is great and has something for everyone. And they have more than just airplanes and autos. They also have vintage motorcyles and carousel animals. The collection is very well maintained and organized. The staff are wonderful and like to share little interesting novelties. My husband said it was the best jeep collection he had ever seen in one location. We even got to see them putting an antique vehicle together and start the engine. It was very interesting. An added bonus - active-duty military get in free! I would highly recommend this museum to anyone who has any interest in autos, airplaines, motorcyles and vintage carousel animals.

Visited October 2012
2 Thank Renae H
Stephanie H, Manager at Western Antique Aeroplane & Automobile Museum, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Thank you for the review. One of the best times to see our military collection in action is on the Second Saturday of May. Our jeeps and L-Birds are also staples during the Hood River Fourth of July Parade and you can usually see us do some kind of fly-over for Memorial Day and Veterans Day too.

Manzanita, OR
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 86 helpful votes
“Bulid it and they will come”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

This is in the middle of no where.....and it is amazing. I mean really really amazing.

The hubby and I were on a recent trip to Hood River and kept reading about this place in the reviews so we decided to give it a try on our last day. We went there expecting to take an hour or so and wound up spending 4. Yup, four hours and they were very well spent. As I was walking around dazed and stunned by all these lovingly restored antique cars and planes, I kept thinking about the movie, "Field of Dreams." Build it and they will come.

A man ( I forget his name) had the dream to build this museum, out there in a rural airport and it has brought the antique car, motorcycle and plane geeks out of the woodwork! There is a tangible passion in the air there as these geeks congregate and show off their true works of art and restore other vehicles in need. I mean some of the vehicles there were just burned out hulks till these nerds got a hold of them and turned them into masterpieces. This should be called a Art Gallery not a museum with everything from steam engine cars to Indian motorcycles! (And even a few old wheelchairs thrown in there.) There are lots of interesting "pit" stops strategically positioned around the place to rest and watch a movie too.

We had the great fortune to be walked around the museum by the antique car geek and volunteer, Jack Wolf. He had no less than 6 cars in there, I honestly lost count. He was very knowledgeable on all the treasures in there and gracious with his time. All of the volunteers there were friendly and passionate. If we lived closer, I think I would lose my husband to it. Do yourself a favor and go check this mind blowing place out. Well well worth it!!

Visited October 2012
2 Thank Ziabaki
Stephanie H, Manager at Western Antique Aeroplane & Automobile Museum, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you for reviewing. Terry Brandt, our museum founder, wanted to keep his collection together so he created the museum. Within a few short years WAAAM was solidly established as a 501(c)3 non-profit. Our growth could not have been possible without all of the volunteers and various people who have donated to help the museum grow.
Philippines
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Something for everyone”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Incredible selection of cars, antique, vintage, and classics. Plus a variety of aeroplanes, again of different ages and styles. In addition, they have several TVs that show special interest items. Various special events throughout the year that give up-close-&-personal involvement.

1 Thank GlennC48
Thanks for the review. We love having special events at WAAAM Air and Auto Museum because they give us a chance to truly showcase the life that these old machines still have left in them.
The Dalles, Oregon
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Awesome and worth visiting!!”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I couldn't believe a place like this existed in the small town of Hood River. This is a world class facility with (I think) over 80,000 sq feet of airplanes, cars, etc. Best of all, everything in there runs! There's some very unique stuff in there. They even have a few machineguns. Well worth the visit and price of admission.

Visited October 2011
1 Thank Eyegun
Thank you for reviewing. Most people are flabbergasted that a museum as big as WAAAM is in Hood River. Between the beautiful weather and the beautiful scenery, we can't think of a better place to fly and drive our historic vehicles.
hood river, oregon
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Surprised!”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I didn't really think that I was going to enjoy this museum as much as I did. I went with a group of people and was surprised how interesting it was. If you are into old cars or planes, you will be in heaven.

Visited February 2012
Thanks for the review. At WAAAM Air and Auto Museum we do our best to make sure that any museum-goer can find something to enjoy aside from the antique airplanes and automobiles.