“Lovely stay”
Review of The Orenco

Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Hillsboro
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Very nice room with your own fireplace. And they even give you a coffee maker in your own room. Very clean and I like that a lot. A bit cumbersome if you have big luggages as they do not have lift.
But I will come back the next time!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Keith W, Manager at The Orenco, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

We are so happy to read your review, we really are glad you enjoyed your room and in-room Keurig coffee maker. Please know for your future stays, if you need a hand with getting your luggage to the room all you need to do is give our onsite manager a call and we will arrange for someone to bring your luggage to your room for you.

We look forward to having you stay with again soon.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

What make this place unique? No on-site staff! As others have commented here, you check-in and check-out completely using codes and email.

The location of The Orenco is in a quaint little neighborhood of little shops and adjacent to a park in a quiet 'Leave it to Beaver' neighborhood. However, the area is still fairly new which means that the variety of (close by) stores/restaurants is limited. Ample shopping 1-2 miles away.

Hillsboro is located 20-25 minutes outside of Portland but you can easily take the MAX train which has a station 3-4 blocks away from The Orenco. ($5 all day pass)

Our room was very clean, spacious and overlooked main street. Nice open space with ample storage for clothes and other items. Came equipped with a small refrigerator (complimentary bottled water) and a coffee maker. Free WiFi access. 'Lobby' is small but cute and has a nice assortment of snacks & beverages all day long. Decent selection of complimentary DVD's and access to a desktop computer.

Parking can be somewhat limited since street parking is shared by surrounding neighbors. Another obstacle is that we did not have an individual climate control in our room so the temperature really fluctuated.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor do not have other rooms above them.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gary2425
Keith W, Manager at The Orenco, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Thank you for leaving your review, we appreciate your comments. We were happy to hear that you enjoyed the neighborhood and quick access to the MAX train. Our Speedkey check-In/Out service is different from what other hotels do so we are always happy to get feedback and were happy to hear that it worked well for you. We look forward to having you back again in the future.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

Really nice, small upscale property, almost like a hybrid of a suite hotel and a B&B. Had no trouble checking in, even though my wife said it was like James Bond with the secret codes. Very spacious suite for the two of us on the back side. We were able to park right in front of the main entrance. After getting settled we walked over to Swagat eatery for dinner. There are plenty of free snacks in the lobby and movies too. No room doors slamming all night long like a typical big box hotel. Nice touches throughout. We will stay here again. Nice area with a park, shops, and light rail nearby.

Room Tip: Room C4 was great, king bed with sitting area and nice shower.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Keith W, Manager at The Orenco, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Hello Clark

Thank you for your review, we are always happy to hear what guests think of our trademarked Speedkey Check-In/Out. It is nice to hear that you found it work well for you and your wife, we know this is a different from what people normally see at a hotel, but we find that guests enjoy the privacy this allows.

We look forward to having you stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

The Orenco has it all: easy access to grocery, restaurant, shopping and light rail transport to anywhere you'd like to visit without the hassle of rental car or parking. It is our ONLY choice since we discovered it on a neighborhood walk. Nearby salons, Indian cuisine,
Orenco Grille, Starbucks, grocery with excellent deli and cafe offerings make this a top pick, Add to it the luxury linens, plush towels and excellent housekeeping plus 24-hour continental breakfast, and you can't go wrong. No request goes unmet. Secure and private, many amenities available make this a top pick.

Room Tip: Top floors are good choices as there are some sueaky floorboards. We have stayed in luxury jacuzzi k...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Keith W, Manager at The Orenco, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Thank you so much for yet another wonderful review of The Orenco. We truly appreciate all our guests feedback. Our guests satisfaction is very important to us and we are so happy to hear that you enjoy what our hotel has to offer along with the community of Orenco Station. We look forward to having you stay with us again soon.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

I booked this hotel because it is recommended in my company's travel tool. The amenities seemed nice and it had a good location. After flying all day long, I set my GPS at PDX to take me there, on an awful cold and rainy day. It took me to a park.

Now, trying to call the Staff in this hotel to guide me on how to find the hotel is a nightmare. You have to go through a bunch of options which will even suggest you to call a different number. The woman at the phone wasn't any helpful so I had to ask the local folks in nearby restaurants about the location of this hotel. I spent about 30 minutes walking under the rain and cold, until I found the lobby.

Once in there, you gotta take an envelope with your name with instructions on how to get to your room, which has a different address. Heck I am not walking anymore. I called the Staff again to send someone over to be able to quickly find the room and finally get some rest. Again, the woman at the phone kinda laughed at my request but sent someone to the lobby in about 10 minutes. When we got to my room the Staff member didn't know where the heater controls are, and he didn't know how to use the remotes in the living room.

The room seems nice, it has an elegant look and it's really big. But it is noisy. Maybe because of its wooden stairs and top floor reacting to the surrounding temperature changes, but certainly it is hard sometimes to sleep at night.

No one explains to you how the laundry works. No one explains to you how the WiFi works. No one explains to you how the housekeeping works.. And sadly I got something personal thrown away in the garbage during my stay.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank ajimza
Keith W, Manager at The Orenco, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

We really do appreciate that you taking the time to write a review for our hotel. I apologize that there was a break down in communication, I am very sorry that some information was not conveyed properly to you and these issues happened. I know from personal experience that the length of the trip you had from Puerto Rico is a long and arduous one. I can also see how a trip of that duration and arriving as late as you did only added to your irritation. We try very hard here at The Orenco to make sure we do our best to communicate our location and directions to our main entrance. In some cases, especially dealing with a third party travel agents, that passing along of critical information breaks down and can sometimes get lost.

I can see from your description that you stayed in our extended stay loft (Town Center Loft), which it is detached from our main hotel and right across the street. The Orenco Town Center Lofts are designed for travelers wanting the independence of urban condo living with the amenities of a hotel. Our hotel portion that houses the majority of our rooms is located in the same building that our lobby is located in. Again, I apologize for the miscommunication on how that process works. I am working with my staff on addressing each of the issues that you brought up in this review and can tell you it is high priority for us on making sure that these do not happen in the future. We are onsite 24/7 to assist in taking care of our guest’s needs and wish we were given the opportunity to address some these issues during your visit. I hope that this helps describe our extended stay verses our hotel and that maybe you give us another chance to serve you in the future, please feel free to call me directly anytime.

Warm Regards and Happy Travels,

Reviewed January 28, 2013

I will admit that I was a little concerned by the negative reviews, but I booked because it was last minute and I couldn't find another decent hotel available in the area. Overall my stay (one night) was quiet and comfortable and I will stay here again when the need arises. At first it was a little weird not checking in with a real person. In fact, I never saw another person my whole stay. That ended up being a real plus making check in/out real fast, no pretending to be nice to the desk clerk who is pretending to be nice to you. You just go to your room and make a phone call. If you are a low maintenance person who likes to be left alone, this is a good place for you!

Room Tip: I would tell you which room was best, but then it wont be available for me when I go back!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Keith W, Manager at The Orenco, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

Thank you for your review, we are happy that you made the choice to come and stay with us, and we are always happy to hear that a guest will return. We understand that our Speedkey check in/out process is a bit different from what you see at your standard hotel. We find that most guests find the process simple and easy and we always want our guests to know that if they have any issue at all we are available at a moments notice. So while you might not see us we are close by and available to help with anything that should arise. We pride ourselves of being, private, quiet and comfortable.

We look forward to having you back again soon.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

I really liked this hotel and will definitely be back. My room was very nice, clean and comfortable. The shower /was/ on the smallish side (as other reviews have pointed out), but this really didn't bother me at all. Hot water, good water pressure, and plenty of headroom so I didn't need to duck. There wasn't anybody on staff when we arrived (it is kind of a self-service check-in)... but this, also, wasn't an issue. I assumed you could get in touch with somebody via the phone. The biggest challenge we had was finding the place. Not you typical hotel front (hint... look for the flag).. but that, too, was part of the charm. The lobby was nice enough and well appointed.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank David P

Dear David

Thank you for the review, we really appreciate when our guests leave feed back for us and our future guests. We are so happy to hear that you really liked our hotel and found our Speedkey check in and out to work well for you. You are correct, should you have needed anything during your stay we always have staff on hand 24/7 that can be reached via telephone and at your room within a moments notice. Thank you again for your review, we hope you will come back and stay with again soon.