“Could be a Five Star Place”
Review of The Orenco

Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Hillsboro
Reviewed November 29, 2012

Having traveled all over the world I found the Orenco to be nicely located and had nice furnishings. The beds were a little soft for my taste. The most pressing problem Management faces is the need to fix the heating system. My room was freezing and space heater did not entirely make it comfortable as it needed constant adjustment. Management did not seem to care about the problem. I would say that this maintenance/investment issue needs to be addressed urgently if the Orenco wants to enter into a five star status. I was very uncomfortable there despite the convenience of close by restaurants and transportation to the city. Too bad as I was looking forward to this trip.

Room Tip: Try to stay on the ground floor where it is warmer.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Keith W, Manager at The Orenco, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2012

Thank you very much for your review, we are very sorry to hear that you did not have a completely positive experience with us. We want you to know that we take all our guests comments very seriously and we are in the process of working on having separate thermostats in each room, this is a big job and will take time but it is something we are working on. We do want you and our future guests to know that we do try and keep our the heat/air conditioning at a comfortable level for all our guests. We are available 24 hours a day at a moments notice to adjust the temperature if necessary. We do hope you were able to enjoy some of the wonderful restaurants and shops in the area.

Reviewed November 26, 2012

This intimate and comforting Inn is more like staying at a family's home. In the middle of a lovely neigbhorhood, walking distance tto restaurants including starbuck's. Strongly recommend.
Kept very clean, great coffee in-room and muffins and munchies in the lovely reception area with fireplace. We will remain returning guests.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Keith W, Manager at The Orenco, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2012

Hello Amanda

Thank you so much for your review. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and the surrounding area of Orenco Station. We look forward to having you back very soon.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

This review is different than the other reviews I've written on TripAdvisor. It's not a simple commentary on a hotel or restaurant. As a guy who lives near this hotel and has been walking past it for years without really knowing it was a hotel, I want to tell you about this place. It's quite an interesting concept.

First of all, "The Orenco" is not a hotel in any traditional sense. It is located in a planned urban development (Orenco Station) that was built starting in 1997 as a ground-breaking way to create a new community. Buildings are "brownstone"-style with businesses at the street-level and apartments in the upper two levels. The Orenco hotel was created by joining street-level and upper level apartments into a set of rooms with a common "lobby" area. It sounds strange, and it is, but it works. Mostly.

Management of the property is done via email/phone calls, coded envelopes and electronic locks. Very interesting but impersonal at the same time. During my 3 days at The Orenco, I never once talked to a human. You have to be ok with that. (I got used to it) There is no bell captain, door man, concierge, valet, etc. No one. You get an email explaining how to find the envelope which tells you how to find and get into your room. You call/send email when you get into your room, and you do the same when you check out.

I stayed in the Executive Courtyard King room C1, which happens to be right under the common area or "lobby", meaning you can hear people walking around and talking above you. (Management reported that they were looking into adding more insulation to help with the noise.) The bed was SUPER comfy, the flat screen TV and DVD player, sofa, refrigerator and collection of plates/glasses/silverware allowed me to relax and enjoy my weekend hidden from reality.

A little walk from The Orenco is the MAX light-rail line which can take you into Portland or Hillsboro so you can explore and come back without having to worry about your car. A 2-minute walk from your room you'll find Yuki (a really relaxed but very high quality sushi restaurant), an Indian restaurant, a steak house, a wine shop and a Starbucks. On the other side of the parking lot, you'll find New Seasons Market, which is a smaller, local version of a store like Whole Foods where you can buy prepared foods or vegetables/deli meats/etc to eat there or take back with you. The Orenco is in a great location for dining and services, but note that it's in the suburbs and not in the middle of a downtown area. (not necessarily a bad thing)

During my stay, I wrote a list of maintenance items that needed attention, emailing them to the GM of the hotel. Keith responded promptly and I feel that he took the list seriously and will make the needed repairs. These were just little things, but I wasn't sure anyone had ever pointed them out.

I really enjoyed my stay at The Orenco and plan to stay there again. I had to get used to the strange high-tech management procedures, but now I think they're sort of cool.

Room Tip: If you have lots of luggage, stay in one of the lower rooms or prepare to haul your luggage up 3 fli...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank pauloregon
Keith W, General Manager at The Orenco, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

Hello Paul,

I know we had a chance to talk already but I just wanted to say thank you again. Your overall review of our unique hotel was very insightful and well thought out. We take all the feedback form our guests to help build the quality and standards of our hotel. What better way to build a product than from the helpful insight from our honored guests. I was able to utilize each of your comments and make the necessary corrections.
I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed our concept here at The Orenco, the neighborhood, overall accommodations and amenities. We are excited to have you back as our guest soon and thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

Warm Regards,

P.S. You should be a travel writer :)

Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed there 2 weeks in September 2012. We chose this place because they have great online reviews and there're also very nice pics from tripadvisor.
However, I was disappointed the very first moment as I stepped in the room because it feels just like living in a basement( it's below the ground level).
And the little yard is actually the entrance to the room, so anybody walking in street can see you in the yard, no privacy at all. The yard looks very pretty, however, we seldom sit outside because of this and those yard chairs weren't comfortable either.
What's worse, during our stay I saw at least 5 spiders in the hotel room, and lots of those giant mosquitoes, and I even saw how one spider caught a giant mosquito with her web at one corner of the bathroom!!!
Also it's a pain to park at this hotel coz there're only limited spots and theoretically you couldn't park in the parking lot behind the hotel. So we ended up parking on street in the neighborhood most of the time.
And it was really unbelievable that they don't even have a full length mirror in the room which kinda drove me crazy and I ended up buying a door mirror from Walmart.

We won't go back there again but still there're some good things about this hotel including:
There is a quiet small park right across the street and it's nice to go for a walk.
They always have nice room service, and they're very polite.
They have a lot of books in the hotel room so you won't feel bored.
It's very convenient to walk to the train station if you wanna take a train to Portland.
They will give you a code to open the door so you don't have to worry about losing your key.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank biggestworld
Keith W, Manager at The Orenco, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2012

Thank you for leaving a detailed review of your visit here at The Orenco. First we would like to thank your for nice comments in regards to our polite staff and also we are glad you enjoyed the key code entry. To address some of your issues, we do apologize for the spider issue in your room, we do our best to manage this and our staff is especially on the lookout this time of year. I am personally looking into having a company back that does spraying with an eco- friendly organic product, to come take care of that particular issue. That way we can avoid this being an issue for future guests. We also apologize that the room type, our Executive Court Yard King, did not meet all your expectations. This room type you were in, one of our street level room types, offers a private entrance and private courtyard with outdoor seating. Sometimes this particular room type does not always fit the needs of all of our guests. For future reference, do offer a variety of other room types including our Luxury Jacuzzi King or Luxury King Studio both with unique amenities and on our upper floors. Again, we really do appreciate your comments and taking the time to review our hotel. We are also going to be adding a full-length mirror to the room you were in because of your comments, so thank you for your suggestion. We hope to have you back to give us another chance to enjoy The Orenco.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

My husband and I booked a luxury king suite with spa tub and living area for 9 nights. There was a nice skylight in the huge bathroom, which also had refrigerator and twin sinks. There were plenty of cleaning supplies you might find handy like Lysol wipes and paper towels. Housekeeping was c, and there were many fine touches, like a rosette on the toilet paper instead of a point, Wet Ones individually-wrapped wet wipes to take with you, cotton pads, earplugs, Q-tips, and complimentary bottled water replaced daily. The breakfast and snack items plus hot beverage selection are available 24 hours a day. There is a business center with computer, printer and fax. Though you never see any staff, they are never more than a phone call or e-mail away. The accommodations feel very private and restful with many unexpected nice touches. We will definitely stay again-close to everything and walking distance to Costco, Starbucks, grocery and restaurants.

Room Tip: We really like room B4 because there was no one above us and we were above street level. We were als...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Keith W, Manager at The Orenco, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2012

Hello Jane

Thank you so much for all the kind things you have said about The Orenco. We are so happy you you and your husband were comfortable in your room and were able to enjoy some of the wonderful places in and around Orenco Station. It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and we look forward to having you back again.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

I received bad customer service. On the website, I selected the arrival date, and there was no place to select a departure date. I selected the queen-size room, then there was no button to calculate the cost. So I tried to call the hotel. I got a message saying if I want immediate service, to call a certain number; the message said the number too fast for me to get a pen and paper, and it did not repeat the number. Then the message said I could leave my name & number. Too much trouble for me to go through before I even book--I won't be staying at this hotel, ever.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Keith W, Manager at The Orenco, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2012

Dear Sharon

We wanted to take a minute to respond to your review. While you did not stay at our hotel we are still very sorry to hear that you feel you did not receive aqueduct customer service. We were upset that we were not given the opportunity to speak with you directly to discuss these items with you. When making a web booking it does allow you to select a departure date and also shows the calculated price for the room nights and given the opportunity we would have happily walked you through these steps or made the reservation over the phone with you. I am sorry that you did not leave us a message so we could discuss this or help you with any other issues you may have had. We hope that future guests will allow us the opportunity to speak with them and help with any questions or concerns they may have. Messages that are left for us either via email or phone are always returned within 24 hours and often much more quickly.
Thank you again for your review, we always appreciate any feedback we are given.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

I stay at The Orenco whenever I am in Hillsboro for business. It is such a great hotel - super comfy beds, awesome location and very warm and homey feeling. You will be pleasantly surprised at this great little place!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Keith W, Manager at The Orenco, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2012

Thank you for your review, We love hearing our guests comments. We are so happy that you are pleased with our accommodations. We appreciate you leaving us such a positive review and look forward to having you stay with us again.