Review Highlights

Hillsboro location closing June 24, 2014

Reviewed April 2, 2014
knhdah
Portland, OR

See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed June 21, 2016

My wife and I went here for a date on our 31st wedding anniversary. What a blast. It was us and about 6 birthday parties for 6-16 years olds. Pop music, snack bar food, teenage DJ/Ring master, young romance being played out. We never fell, even played Pinball.
Overall, really nice, friendly staff. Clean and well run skate rink with a fun crowd.

Reviewed June 11, 2015

Our family is sorry that skateworld is gone. This town needs activities for kids :( We drove by today and just felt terrible

Reviewed June 8, 2014

But at least this hole will be closing in less than two weeks.

It was great for parties when I was a kid, but that was more than twenty-five years ago. Even when I was in high school, a mere twenty years ago, the place had become a hole. In fact, I'm not sure it ever wasn't a hole, since about nothing had changed in it from my grade school days to my high school days.

I have to give the business credit for being a place where kids could hang out and not be out causing trouble. Unfortunately, the trouble just followed the kids inside. I remember a few pedophiles who got away with taking advantage of young, underage girls, here. That was twenty years ago, too, so things couldn't have gotten any better, as society certainly has grown worse over that time.

I know some people who got involved with smoking at this establishment. They were young and stupid, and wanted to look cool. As somebody who can't skate, myself, and simply went there for the few arcade games they had back in the day, these kids didn't realize that simply by being able to skate, they already looked cool to at least one poor dope.

The parking lot always seemed to be empty. I was surprised two months ago to find the parking lot full, although announcing their closure has likely picked up their attendance largely.

Reviewed April 2, 2014

Today they sent a message to their Facebook fans, that they have lost their lease, and after 33 years, are closing that location--their Gresham & Springfield locations will continue as usual. Their closing makes our family very sad. I remember skating there when I was a kid, and our 8 yr old daughter just had her birthday party there in December. Yes, they could have used some updating, as the 70s shag carpet, and some of the rental skates look like they are original. But they were great to work with for her party, and the staff are always really nice. We will be sad to see them go. Plus their floor is not as slippery as the rink at Oaks Park.

1  Thank knhdah
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Our daughters took lessons at this facility and I love the things that the teacher was showing. She was a professional roller skater for many years, not just some teen who threw skates on last year. Last night, our daughter skated on one foot for a long distance, and I attribute all of that to her lessons.

The place is clean, the food not terribly over priced. We have had birthday parties there--I was a bit taken back that parents don't skate free with the party and you have to pay for them to skate. In fact, they discouraged it, as the party occurred during a time of middle school skating. I would think that parents should be able to skate no matter what age group is skating. After this, I will put parties during open skate times so we can skate with the kids. I also won't drop my kids off for middle school skate since I know there are no parents on the floor to assist in keeping issues to a minimum.

That being said, the place is clean, the staff is friendly. I do think they should offer free lessons so that kids would come learn and then want to continue skating. I think that would benefit them. The skate place in Arizona did this and seemed much busier.

I would love to see them growing! It's a great activity for kids to do!