“Big City Quality, Small Town Friendliness”

Syun Japanese Restaurant & Sake Club
Ranked #2 of 280 Restaurants in Hillsboro
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Hillsboro
“Big City Quality, Small Town Friendliness”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Syun has an extensive menu, of not only some pretty amazing sushi, but also a variety of warm, Japanese tavern style dishes. The wings gyoza are a fun taste: chicken wings stuffed with gyoza filling and prepared as wings. My husband enjoys the sake don bowls as they are so beautifully arranged. We love that there is a restaurant of this quality in Hillsboro and the prompt, cheerful service keeps us coming back. My favorite way to experience Syun is to come with friends, order as many dishes as we can and share.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank TPG42

• Korean first
Portland, Oregon
“Gem of a restaurant”
Reviewed December 14, 2012

This is a bit off the beaten track for Portlanders and does not enjoy the respect that it deserves. For me this is by far the best Japanese restaurant in the Portland Metro area, Every dish I've had here was made with attention to detail, it was presented on a tasteful china and it has been without exception the best of it's kind. The service is on par with the food. I've been served by the same few ladies for many years now.
This place can be good for business meeting at lunch, romantic dinner or friends' meeting place.
Don't miss it.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank gkaragat
London, United Kingdom
“Superb Sushi and Sake with a good atmosphere”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

The phrase 'well kept secret' might well apply to this restaurant, I found it just based on the TripAdvisor reviews and thought we'd give it a shot. Well what a find, we went for the Chef's Sushi selection option which was filled with lots of different Sushi treats everyone of them a winner. Then I went for the Octopus and my girlfriend chose the Tofu salad, again both were wonderful.

The Sake recommended by the waitress was great and as ever with Sushi we left feeling extremely full and satisfied but it was the quality of the food that was the winner. The basement setting could be dark and dingy but instead it feels warm with a definite Japanese pub sort of vibe.

I'm a big fan of good Sushi and Sashimi and this place was one of the best.

• Visited December 2012
Portland, Oregon
“outstanding sushi and service”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

as good a place for sushi and sake as i've ever enjoyed including the many many trips i've taken to japan and korea. service is outstanding and friendly. if you like sushi and the variety of other japanese dishes and you enjoy sake this place has to be on your list to try and better yet to come back time and time again.

• Visited September 2012
Cornelius
“Best Japanese Restaurant I've ever been to...”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We've been regulars at Syun for nearly 7 years. It was one of the first places my husband took me when we were dating and, in addition to frequent and wonderful meals ourselves, we took all of our out-of-town family and friends to dinner there two nights before our wedding. We took over the back room and had a wonderful evening. This restaurant is in the old library building in Hillsboro. The building is designated as an historic space and is 100 years old so this restaurant will never become big and lose its intimacy. The food is fantastic - everything we have every had from cooked dishes to sushi and sashimi. It is presented absolutely artistically, each plate having its own gorgeous design by the chef. The staff, and most of them have been there as long as we have been dining, are excellent, caring, knowledgeable, and pay great attention to everyone - regulars or not. There are many sakes to choose from and several excellent beers on tap. The wine list is okay...I've never seen too many people drinking wine there. Our favorites are Spicy Tuna Salad (love that hot sauce), Alaska roil, Rock n. Roll, Unagi, Yakibifun ... really, just about everything on their extensive menu. We've seen couples on the way to proms, families with babies, and every other generation. Reservations highly recommended. It's a jewel you won't want to miss.

• Visited August 2012