“Second year visiting same Hotel - Good Value - great location”

Holiday Inn Express Portland West/Hillsboro
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Hillsboro
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Decided to go back to this Hotel during Portland Soccer Showcase. I noticed the hotel had good upkeep, service was very good and breakfast buffet was full at all times (6-10 a.m.) throughout our 3 day stay. Management was atuned to everything going on. Cleaning crew was very courteous and did a great job with our room. Beds were very comfortable and excercise room was also clean. Rooms were quite. No complaints. Would definately stay again if needed and recommend for family or solo. We were provided with maps upon request and meal recommendations. Excellent location.

Room Tip: Higher level - and away from Ice maker.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
ManagementPDXHI, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portland West/Hillsboro, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Thank you for taking notice of all the efforts my team make to make the best of every guest stay. During group sports weekend we can get full in the breakfast area and we know how important it is to get service and stay on track for your days schedule. While it can be overwhelming at times my staff is well trained to handle the workload. If it were not for all the staff and the internal drive this would not be the hotel that you would expect. From the attendants who maintain the highest cleaning standards. To the front desk who aspire to be everything you need in a agent all the way to my breakfast attendant and maintenance crew. They all deserve props for setting such a high standard. Thank you for taking out time to give us insight into your stay.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

I stayed here for three nights while visiting family. Arriving on Christmas Day, I was greeted by the general manager, who was apparently pulling double duty at the time. But that also suggested good management, and I was proven correct as everything went smoothly the entire time. The room was well-appointed and spacious; everything worked as expected; the flat-screen TV had more channels than I could count; the breakfast was well-done and plentiful; parking was easy; the location was just right for my local visit and sojourns to Portland and Hillsboro. One nice touch was the electrical outlets built into the desktop, which made it easy to charge my phone. I've stayed at other hotels in the HIE chain, and this was the best.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
ManagementPDXHI, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portland West/Hillsboro, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

This is a nice review. Thank you for the kind words. I also appreciate the personal comment about me in there. It made my morning. My staff and I are thankful you spent your holidays staying at our hotel. More importantly that we were able to make your stay a positive one. Happy New years!

Reviewed December 28, 2012

We spent one night at the Holiday Inn Express while waiting for our household goods to arrive. This hotel was very nice, clean, and well maintained. It does appear to be fairly new. It is located in the heart of the Silicone Forest, near shopping and restaurants. It was very reasonably priced compared to the competition in this area. Breakfast was the usual fare but gave us a full meal to face the movers with. The hotel does have underground parking which was nice on the rainy evening we stayed there. Only negative is that it was hard to spot as it sits off Cornell behind other buildings (we had the car without GPS). All in all we would stay there again if the occasion arises.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
ManagementPDXHI, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portland West/Hillsboro, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review of your recent stay. It is guest like you who provide us with invaluable feedback which allow us to work towards providing the best stay and services we can. We are so happy to know you enjoyed your stay. Best of luck in the future with your new living space. Hillsboro is a wonderful place to live.

Reviewed December 8, 2012

The hotel is well situated: only a few miles to almost all locations you need in Hillsboro, Beaverton or other neighboring towns. It will take only a few minutes to reach them if you drive a car.

The building was located about 100 meters (380 feet) from Cornell Road, so traffic did not disturb calmness of this place. But sometimes in dead of the night you could hear horn of a distant train. There were trees and green lawns around the hotel so it looked very nice and peaceful.

There were parking lots and I was always able to find free one to leave my car around the hotel. The building had several entrances operated by hotel key cards. That was very convenient, I did not have to go to main entrance every time.

Two elevators existed for climbing upstairs, but it was extremely cold in the elevator car. It seemed like I was standing in a freezer while going up and down.

The room door was operated with the plastic key card and contained all I needed to feel safe: the door eye and internal locks which could not be opened from outside.

The room was sufficiently spacious and cozy. One exception was a very noisy air conditioner (heater). But after difficult days I somehow managed to sleep under that “white noise” coming from the heater. I was staying in late November and first days of December, meaning it was nearly impossible to sleep comfortably without heating the room.

The room was equipped with all I wanted including huge bed suitable for two, a desk, folding armchair and fridge. An ironing board together with iron itself was found in the wardrobe as usually. The hotel provides a tea and coffee making machine with a couple of tea bags. As I’m a tea addict (you may check my other hotels’ reviews), I’d prefer if I had more complimentary tea bags. Furthermore, to be completely honest, that kind of coffee making machine was unable to make a proper cup of tea; strong scent of stale coffee haunted every cup.

Internet was available both in wired and Wi-Fi connections. Do not forget to obtain a password on reception.
Since I was a traveler from Europe, AC plugs of my laptop and mobile phone charger needed an outlet adaptor, which I forgot to take from home unfortunately. Reception in this hotel normally does not have this kind of things but it happened that somebody forgot it before and did not claim later, so a receptionist offered it to me, what made me really happy.

Every day they brought fresh USA today in spite of I explicitly asked the hotel personnel to stop doing that. Nevertheless, thanks for the newspaper.

Breakfast was not as good as I desired it to be but still can be endured for several days. You might find hot omelet with fried ham for example. There was a machine for making pancakes. I’d say that machine made a quite decent pancakes. Jam and syrup were near. There was a selection of tea bags and coffee as well. But at the same time I badly missed slices of cheese or boiled sausage to cover sandwich. Interesting that forks and knives were made of plastic. I do not have anything against plastic things, it was merely a surprise.

There were other places to dine. Orenco Station Gril and Starbucks were not so far from the hotel. It would take less than ten minutes if you decided to walk there. New Seasons store was even closer. I would also recommend visiting BJ’s or Applebee’s, that was my personal choice.

The hotel was very good even taking into account a few things I mentioned above. I do not mind staying in this hotel again. I dare to say I can recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
ManagementPDXHI, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portland West/Hillsboro, responded to this reviewResponded December 25, 2012

Thank you for such a well detailed review of our hotel. I appreciate the time and effort you took to provide the feedback. Your words are thoughtful and well articulated. It is nice to know we made your stay enjoyable. Please come back and see us again.

Reviewed December 7, 2012

I traveled to the HIE with a soccer team traveling to the area for a tournament. The hotel represented itself very well. Clean and up to date rooms, nice lobby, and a small but adequate patio to relax outside when the weather allowed it. The hotel is a little out-of-the way in regards to shopping or restaurants but we knew that when we booked into it. The hotel front desk staff were very friendly and even though the hotel was mostly business oriented (Intel I think), did a good job at accommodating the influx of soccer kids.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Hello. It is wonderful to hear we were able to make your recent stay a positive one. I'm sure you see the best and worst when traveling with your sports team. That makes us ever thankful that you choose our hotel. My staff and I aspire to make each and every stay the best we can. We are thankful you took the time to write about us and give us your thoughts. Thank you.

Reviewed December 5, 2012

First time at this property, in town for business trip. Hotel is clean, rom is comfortable with nice bed, direct TV, decent bathroom. Staff is friendly and the free breakfast in the AM is good. Close to where I needed to be, filled the bill in all respects. Will stay here again next time in the areas

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
ManagementPDXHI, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portland West/Hillsboro, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2012

Please accept my sincere thank you. It is appreciated so much that you took the time to fill out a review of our hotel. I Know my staff take their work seriously and have such pride in the work they do. It shows that it is all worth it in the end when we receive comments such as yours. We also value you being a first time guest and we look forward to more stays in the future. Take care until we meet again.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

I recently spent a month at this hotel. The room was well maintained, cleaned daily, with fresh towels, bathroom items and tea/coffee supplies restocked! The rooms are spacious. I appreciated the mini-fridge and the microwave, iron/ironing board...especially over the month long stay.

All staff, were extremely curtious, friendly and helpful whenever I needed anything!

The free breakfast buffet in my opinion is perfect. A selection of fruit, yoghurts, pastries, cereals, waffles or bacon/eggs and the usual tea/coffee/juices are available. I could sit and eat or, pick up and go...as time permitted!

There is also a laundry room, one washer and 1 drier, on the 2nd floor....Big PLUS, when staying long term!

I like others, didn't use the hot tub, it was right by the elevators and back door...frosted glass or mirrored effect might be an option for some privacy, as you could see straight in from the carpark or people staring while waiting on their elevator! (Very small negative!)

The gym is small, but has a nice little selection of machines to use! With towels and water availale...and Direct TV available too!

I would definitely stay at this hotel again...a home from home!

Room Tip: Enjoy your complimentary M&M's from reception on arrival!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
ManagementPDXHI, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portland West/Hillsboro, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

Thank you for your kind words. It is a wonderful thing to hear that we hit all the marks during your stay making it a comforting one. We appreciate your time and we welcome your return to the hotel.