“Seriously the best Mexican food I've had in the US”

Amelia's Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 283 Restaurants in Hillsboro
Cuisines: Latin, Mexican, Salvadoran
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Small and charming, with a full and imaginative menu full of dishes you normally don't see north of the border, like conchita pibil and a variety of moles. Servings are generous without being gigantic. They run a different set of specials every night, too. Great attention to detail, even have their own dishes made for them in a workshop near Guanajuato. Homemade tortillas, served warm from the skillet. No liquor license, so no beer, wine or margaritas - you'll be sticking to horatcha and Jarritos sodas. I'm almost reluctant to share how great this was ....

There are newer reviews for Amelia's Restaurant

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Absolutely flavorful food, the specials are delicious as are the regular menu items. As with the other reviews, we found the freshness of the tortillas and salsa wonderful. The service is great and the friendliness wonderful. This restaurant may be on the smaller side, but is on the larger side of gourmet. There is a solid variety of dishes to choose. There is no alcohol, but be sure to have the horchata.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

Went because of reviews on TripAdvisors. Glad we did! Went around 8pm and found that we were the only ones there. The waitress, Amelia's sister, was fantastic. She was helping, courteous, and a joy to talk to. Amelia also came out to talk w us about the food and even how she prepares her amazing salsa. She pairs it with hot, homemade tortillas instead of chips and it is so good. When we told them how great the salsa was, they carried out the huge, stone bowl they use to make it and told us how they made theirs. it was such a fun experience! One we will definitely repeat!!! The food was amazing but the exceptional service put it above the rest. It you are ever in Hillsboro and are looking for some amazing Mexican food made with love, check out Amelia's. you can't go wrong.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

Amelia's serves the best Mexican food west of Portland. That is my opinion and after eating there it will most likely be your opinion, too. Instead of the usual basket of chips they serve hot, fresh, handmade tortillas with homemade salsa. I have gone there for lunch to just have the tortillas and a large glass of horchata (sweetened rice milk). Their tamales are the lightest I have ever tasted. Excellent moles. No margaritas or churros - just good fresh food.
Only about ten tables - go off hours for the best service. Breakfast is very good, as well.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

I have been looking for a great Mexican restaurant for a long time and Amelia's fit the bill. A quick overnight last week in Hillsboro and looking for a place for dinner. I read the recommendations on TA and was not disappointed. The service was great, friendly with quick refills on beverages. I had the Cochinta Pibil which I love and is difficult to find on most menus. It was delicious and brought back memories of travel in Mexico. When first seated, the waiter brought out a bowl of salsa and fresh hot tortillias, not your usual chips and salsa. A little piece of heaven in a basket. The portions are generous and dinners is served with more tortillias. I live about thirty five miles away and decided that Amelia's is worth the drive. I found myself in Hillsboro again this week and after finishing my business headed directly to Amelia's for lunch. I may be hooked on this place.

Been to Amelia's Restaurant? Share your experiences!