“Impressive collection”

Rice NW Museum of Rocks and Minerals
Ranked #1 of 56 things to do in Hillsboro
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Rice Northwest Museum of Rocks and Minerals houses a world-class collection recognized as the finest in the Pacific Northwest and one of the best in the nation. Located just west of Portland, Oregon, in Hillsboro, the Museum showcases not only fine rocks and minerals, but also fossils, meteorites, lapidary art, and gemstones from both the Pacific Northwest and all around the world.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Stairs / elevator
Reviewed April 15, 2014

The entire house (which is pretty cool in itself) is full of a variety of rock collections, including fossils, glow room, gold and other cool items. Great rock pile out back that you can pick a rock from. Also gift shop on site.

Reviewed February 26, 2014

As other reviewers stated, it is an impressive "museum". With the road construction nearby, initially it was challenging to find the museum; its hidden amongst trees even. Apparently it was a private home converted into the Rice Museum. When you arrive go to the gift shop to purchase your entry tickets.
We don't know much about rocks but the exhibits kept us interested. The displays were very interesting - we even read most of the captions. I was most impressed with the petrified woods and the beautiful colors. They also have a small gift shop. There is an outdoor space with larger rocks. There is even a rock pile for the children to select/buy rocks for $1.00 per pound. On the day we visited, aside from the gift shop cashier, there were no guides or additional staff to answer our questions in the museum. The exhibits are well maintained.

Reviewed January 19, 2014

We were impressed, lots and lots of really neat rock. fossils, crystals, meteorites, petrified wood .glow under ultraviolet light ones, and much more. the displays were clean, well lit and interesting! The staff was fun and knew a lot, would stop by once in a while, while we were browsing. The best rock display I have ever seen!

2  Thank ecfarms
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Small museum, but their collection of odd crystalline structures that look like fur growing on rock is wonderful. Lovely colors in many of the pieces and a delightful little gift shop make it a recommended stop.

1  Thank KaTe2
Reviewed October 26, 2013

My husband and I were looking for something to do to celebrate my birthday so we looked on trip advisor for fun things to do in Oregon and we decide to go to the Rice NW Museum of Rocks and Minerals we thought we would go here then head on to Portland but to my amazement we walked into the Museum and I was in AWW I couldn't believe how interesting the rocks are. I am a rock hound but my husband is not so much but even he was in AWW also. Don't miss this, We didn't make it to Portland because this place is so amazing and Justin who works here is great he would come tell us about the rocks then he would give us our time to look around alone then Justin would show up again and tell us more. I had the best time and to my surprise my husband really enjoyed himself to. This a must see

2  Thank Tonya M