“Super comfortable room with warm service.”

Courtyard Portland Hillsboro
Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Hillsboro
Reviewed November 19, 2011

I was traveling with a friend for an overnight excursion and was delighted upon arrival. The hotel staff was wonderfully accommodating and made sure that we were comfortable. The room itself is not expansive, but very comfortable and well appointed. It felt wonderfully clean and the beds were particularly comfortable for each of us. They have a later check out than many hotels that I've been to and we particularly appreciated that as we arrived so late to begin with. I will happily stay at this property again.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Courtyard Portland Hillsboro

Reviewed November 19, 2011

My wife and I stayed at this hotel on November 11th, 2011. Our first impression of the hotel was the lobby which is very nice and inviting. The staff was professional and due to room availability allowed us to check in early. As we left the lobby and walked to our room we immediately noticed that the hotel looked like it has been updated in some areas recently. The renovations obviously were done in spots leaving parts looking run down. We entered the elevator to get to our floor and my wife cringed at the VERY cold temp inside. The elevator did not appear to be heated in anyway and closely matched the outdoor temperature. Upon arriving at our room we were greeted by an unidentifiable smell. I should have paid more attention to previously read reviews that mentioned it also. The smell is not in any one location in the room and just permeates throughout. We returned to the front desk and asked for another room due to the smell. The staff did not blink an eye and gave us another room. It seemed that they were used to this complaint. Upon entering our new room there was still a smell but less of it. We had an appointment to get to and decided to stay with the room knowing that we would be spending very little time there. We opened up the sliding glass door and aired out the room. We then turned the heat back up and left the room for the afternoon. Upon returning the smell had strengthened with heat. After being in the room for a 30 minutes the smell was not noticeable. But each time we left the room and entered again it was there.

The breakfast that came with the room was okay. I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Insist on a room without the smell.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dan5466
Reviewed October 31, 2011

The staff is so friendly and helpful. I stayed here 5 times in the last 6 months. The lobby offers a great variety of food and drinks for any time of the day. The rooms are clean and very comfortable. All of my special requests are always ready and waiting in my room upon arrival.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 12, 2011

My husband and I stayed here October 7-10, 2011, and we found the hotel staff to be friendly, helpful, just wonderful. We got a really good rate from Priceline, but we were treated by the staff as though we had paid top dollar.

The room was decorated very nicely, and the rest of the hotel also was lovely.

The walls are kind of thin (as are most newer hotels), so we did hear our big-mouthed neighbors at different times. But overall we had a great stay and would definitely stay here again if we are ever in need of a hotel room in Hillsboro.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 5, 2011

Courtyard's old pre-yuppified slogan was "The Best Surprise Is No Surprise." They need to get back to that, especially here. You used to be able to count on Courtyards but properties like this cast that into doubt.

Checkin was slow and inefficient. Only got one room key (they seem to fail when you need to use tha bathroom!). The room was smelly (old smoke, musty and dusty). So, too, was the bedding, sofa and bathroom. The glasses were dirty yet covered with plastic wrap as if they were clean (I even brought a souvenir to the front desk at checkout). There was a dead bug on my bedside phone and I killed spiders in the bath tub. Shower water pressure was a tad light. Wifi worked well. Microwave and fridge in room.

This property fails my basic "clean and everything works as it should" test for hotels. It had a remodel recently and you'd thing things would be better.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 19, 2011

Stayed here for 4 nights, "paid" with points - was reluctant a bit as a night here is 15,000 points (which is a lot, compared e.g. to Courtyard Richmond Berkeley which was 10,000 - and much, much better).

Room is pretty big (I'm getting used to US sizing in everything, food especially ;), I got double beds unfortunately. Oh, OK.
Flat TV with some HD channels, smallish closet and a bathroom (shallow stand-only bathtub, and unfortunately material curtain to prevent flooding - no glass). Pretty much that's it, nothing that I remembered -- meaning nothing bad but also nothing standing out of the ordinary.

Actually, scratch that. I remembered internet. Free WiFi is available, but it's reeeeaaaaally slow. Forget about downloading jobs documents (not to mention anything bigger). Shame on you, Marriott.
(now I'm in TownesPlace Suites - and internet here is even worse, didn't think that's possible -- will put another review on that one)

Next to reception area there's a little bistro where you can get a breakfast (nothing superb) or rather decent, if not pricey, evening snacks/small meals (typical Courtyard - sandwiches, soups, pizzas, nothing sophisticated). If you want to eat, there are restaurant around, two in walking distance (I recommend driving to a nearby Streets of Tanasborne mall though, lots of choice there).
Elevator is available (seems only one) but it's very slow. Used stairs.

Staff is really friendly and helpful, big plus here. Got some packages sent to me, everything was signed for me and delivered. Laundry service - nothing to complain about as well, only $4.50 for a shirt. Guest laundry also available.

So, decent hotel, typical Courtyard standard - but a bit on pricey side (both room and bar).

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed August 14, 2011

Stayed one weekend night and was totally wowed by the total renovation from last year. Prior to this stay, I was here more than a decade ago, when it was a generic, but good, Courtyard property. Now, I would rate it in the top 1% of all Courtyards in the country.

PROS:

--room (1 bdrm suite): huge! separate bedroom, microwave, fridge, mammoth bathroom vanity and "bar" counter.
--2 TV's (32" LCD with HD programming; Showtime instead of HBO)
--very quaint and quiet; set back from a small road, almost hidden.
--friendly front desk staff
--complimentary coffee, tea, and newspapers (WSJ, USA, Oregonian) in lobby area.
--modern functional decor in room and lobby
--very good fitness room: 2 treadmils, 1 elliptical (each with TV and in good working order)
--clean and spotless everywhere, even the stairwell!
--wired and wireless HSIA, free but a bit slow
--ample free parking; has free local shuttle (w/i 5 miles ?) --didn't use.
--walking distance to shopping, dining, and multiplex theater

CONS;

--slow internet speed
--no complimentary breakfast (this is a Marriott chain issue--not the individual property's) Even the budget Fairfield Inn in the Marriott brand has free breakfast.

Room Tip: request courtyard-facing room; 1 bdrm suite worth the price
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hillsboro
Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Hillsboro, Oregon
Hampton Inn & Suites Portland / Hillsboro-Evergreen Park
SpringHill Suites Portland Hillsboro
Extended Stay America - Portland - Hillsboro
Residence Inn Portland Hillsboro
Hilton Garden Inn Portland Beaverton

Been to Courtyard Portland Hillsboro? Share your experiences!