“The total experience... look and feel of eating at Grandma's house.”
Review of Trufflehunter

Trufflehunter
Ranked #3 of 173 Restaurants in Gresham
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
“The total experience... look and feel of eating at Grandma's house.”
Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

Interesting and traditional dishes with some fun variations. Friendly staff. Sometimes a little too busy. Despite only visiting several times a year, they always remember the modifications my wife requests on her favorite sandwich, The Monticristo. Nice.

• Visited May 2014

Gresham, Oregon
“Travel down memory lane in this old farm house”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Suggest reservations or come early. Good homemade food and the Hungarian mushroom soup is a treat. Not all entrees seem fresh (fish tasted frozen). Wait staff are nice. Fantastic desserts!

• Visited May 2013
Kalama
“Read reviews before going! Worth the drive!”
Reviewed March 30, 2014

I wish I had taken the time to read the reviews here and yelp before going, but certainly not disappointed, it would've given me the education I needed when opening the menus. We went for our Anniversary and got there before the Sat. evening rush, the parking lot was empty as was the lovely old house. My DH had come apx. 15 years prior and was happy to have me finally join him. We sat in one of the many smallish rooms (nice for atmosphere and to keep the sound down), but nothing extra (the candles were not lit, the tables were plainly decorated, nothing extraordinary.

I started out with the hard berry cider and was pleased, not too sweet or sour. Enjoyable. The iced tea was strong and bottomless. We began with their (apparently renown - and worth it!) bowl of DELICIOUS hungarian mushroom soup with a salad and a slice of their in-house bread (a bit stale and boring bread if you ask me). He ordered the halibut fish and chips - the halibut seemed like a flash-frozen and heated, nothing special. I ordered the Avocado Burger ($11) with a side of the (never tasted ANYTHING so yummy) Garlic Parmesan fries. I also received some Kettle-Type Chips on the side - ended up taking 1/2 of everything home and reheated the next day for leftovers and we were amazed! If I knew they would be this good, I would have brought an entire order home.

Critiques: 1) We were sure glad to come early, but there were a lot of times when the waitresses didn't bring my empty water/tea refills, we were ready to order 10 minutes before she came back! The bread (roll and hamburger bun) seemed old. 2.) Even after telling them it was our Anniversary, nothing special was added (candles? a treat to take home?) 3.) It took three people to finally give me the brief history on this sweet old farm house. This gal only briefed me, it would be nice to see a laminated write up at the tables or in each room. 4.) Apparently the desserts are made daily from scratch. I guess it would be nice to know which of the items on the menu are made in house (* or something). 5.) Definitely pay attention to the portion size. The price definitely reflects a shared plate, otherwise, most normal appetites can prob. only stomach 1/2. 6.) There needs some music for the ambiance and a little more attention to the details and this restaurant could be 5 stars.

• Visited March 2014
Portland, Oregon
“Large portions”
Reviewed March 28, 2014

If you are really hungry, this is the place. Portions are large, and my pot roast was very tender. Unfortunately, the mashed potatoes were cold, and the side dish of corn tasted like they had freezer burn. The mushroom soup was very hearty and flavorful. I'd probably go back again to try one of the sandwiches.

• Visited March 2014
Gresham, Oregon
“Like a visit to grandma's”
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Truffle hunter is where I go for comfort food. It is like a tripnto grandma's house. The old house filled with memories, the big slices of fresh backed bread and the best Hungarian mushrool soup. Not a place to count calories. I have never had a bad meal or service here.

• Visited January 2014