“Super 8 Staff to my rescue!!”

Super 8 Gresham/Portland Area OR
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Gresham
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I have diabetes and due to a late arrival from the airport and in the rain..I was having problems. She went into the kitchen & found some yoghurt & juice. Even carried my suitcase upstair. Great person.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Marilyn E

Reviewed November 26, 2012

I booked a room online with super 8. When we got to the hotel, a nice lady named Becky helped us get checked in. She gave us an option of the 2nd floor room or a room on the first floor. Since there wasn't an elevator, we chose the firs floor room. When we got into the room, there was a strong unidentifiable odor. My wife wanted to leave right then and there. But I convinced her the smell would go away - which it probably didn't, we just got used to it. That night, we didn't get much sleep because the room next to us had a bunch of young kids with no adult to tell them to shut up.
The next morning as I was waiting for my wife in the hallway, I noticed a smell of smoke, so I started looking at the doors of the rooms. I noticed ours was a non-smoking room (which is what we wanted), the room accross the hall was a smoking room as was the room next ours and the rest on down from that. What the heck kind of sense does that make!!? That expalined the odor when we got into the room. I remembered that Becky said they had another room upstairs, so I decided to see if they would allow us to move.
The free breakfast that morning was upsetting. The waffle machine clearly needed some non-stick spray. The morning front desk person wasn't helpful at all, in fact, she gave me a hard time like I didn't know how to use the machine I was trying to open it because the timer just went off, but it wouldn't open becuase the waffle was stuck to both irons. She gave a brief attempt to help me remove the waffle, but quickly gave up. I removed the waffle crumb by crumb from the machine - but she still didn't get some non-stick spray for the thing.
Noticing this employee's brash personality, I decided I would wait until Becky came back on duty to ask about the room move. Becky gladly moved us to the upstairs room, which was sooo much better - no smoking rooms in sight. In fact, Becky is about the only positive thing we have to say about this place. I hope she finds a different place to work - someplace worthy to have her.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 23, 2012

First and foremost, the staff is friendly, the hotel is clean, parking and wifi are free.

You can't argue with the price and the fact that they throw in free continental breakfast (juice, cereal, fruit, make your own waffles). The breakfast room could use a little cheering up, but once again, it's a nice touch for the price point.

The bed was comfortable, but the entire room was a little worn down and smelled like smoke. I think it was coming in through the vents, so if you are sensitive to smoke, even the non-smoking rooms smelled funky. I would bump up my review to 4 circles if they could get rid of that smell. I appreciated the curved shower rod to add a little extra space in the shower, and the separate vanity outside of the shower and toilet area. There wasn't much in terms of noise when we stayed there, which is a definite plus in my book.

The hotel is located near several restaurants, or you can get a pizza delivered. I like that it is central and in the midst of a diverse neighborhood. It isn't a posh city, so be prepared to see all kinds, but welcome to Portland: keep it weird.

Room Tip: Maybe the rooms on the bottom floor if you're looking for something less smokey, but away from t...