“Vegan paradise”

Nicholas Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 190 Restaurants in Gresham
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Description: This is the newest location of Nicholas Restaurant, serving authentic Lebanese food in beautiful downtown Gresham. Convenient free public parking nearby, as well as street parking. Escape the hustle and bustle of the big city and have a relaxed meal with family, friends, and colleagues. Vegetarian and vegan options. Gluten-free bread for purchase or enjoy our free large pita, served hot from the oven. Best hummus in town. Dieter's menu for those counting calories. Beer and wine served. Turkish coffee. Scrumptious desserts.We also cater for meetings and events. All this and more can be found on our website. If you're traveling to the Portland area, schedule a little time to visit downtown Gresham.
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Staff and food were super. Vegan options galore and didn't have to ask! Good prices and awesome to not have to ask what's in food!

1  Thank blandwh1

Reviewed June 22, 2012

I have been to Nicholas several times. When the first opened the place was so tiny that you were standing on top of people to pick up orders to go. But it seemed to me that the bread and sandwiches were better then. My office is nearby and we order to go every month or so.

Fast forward to our most recent in-restaurant experience. The service was good, the bread was overcooked, the mezza selections disappointing. On the otherhand the veggie and chicken kabob dinners were excellent, and I love their Baba ghanoush. So I am satisfied with the value/quality ratio and would return.

Reviewed June 17, 2012

We ate here with a small group upon a recommendation. The bread that is brought to the tables was very good. The dipping oil- very flavorless. Two of the items ordered were not good at all- Chicken "Shawarma" Sandwich and the Kafta Sandwich. The chicken sandwich had so much onion and not much of anything else. The kafta was not cooked through and had very little taste. We were very disappointed.

Reviewed May 19, 2012

Lets face it, Gresham just isn't a culinary hot spot, it's nice to have something other than mega-chain or pub food but this place does not deserve to be listed as #1 in Gresham like it is on Trip Advisor.

Nicholas is a simple place with budget conscious furnishings in somewhat loud and cramped quarters which is okay with me considering the good prices. The food is pretty good but not great, the best thing we had was the fresh pita bread and hummus.

The service was terrible the night we went, it was slow and they had more employees working than customers so there was no excuse for the poor service other than the staff was more concerned about goofing off than earning a good tip! An item that was supposed to be included in my wife's meal wasn't, it literally took 20 minutes before anyone came back into the dinning room so we could ask for the missing plate, after that we had to wait another 20 minutes for them to bring it out (in fact nobody even came back into the dinning room until then), of course by this time we were finished so just had it wrapped up to go. The server who took our order just disappeared for 30-40 minutes, the guy who we had to tell about the missing item was apparently kitchen staff and had just happened to pass through while doing something else otherwise we would have been completely abandoned the entire time!

The best I can say about Nicholas was that It was a pretty good value because of the portion sizes, be prepared to take some home! With all this said it was almost a year ago we visited and hopefully the server that waited on us is gone by now. I am giving them a 3 by giving them the benefit of doubt that it was an off night and will be giving it another try, hopefully the service is better than our first visit, if not I will change my score to a 1 while vowing to never return!

All in all Nicholas will never be a 5 nor do I think they should try to be, with a few small changes they could be a respectable 4 which for me is a darned good place at a good price. Honestly, I don't think Gresham can support an establishment worthy of a 5, Bryant Station was probably the only place in town worthy of that score and obviously it didn't work because they didn't last too long. Just because a place does good for it's price level doesn't make it worthy of a perfect score.

Reviewed April 28, 2012

We went to Nicholas Restaurant for dinner last night. They don't take reservations so we had to wait about 15-20 minutes, not too bad for a Friday night. There were 5 of us, including our 2-year old grandchild. I've read so many positive reviews about Nicholas and was pretty excited to check the place out. Unfortunately, I was very disappointed with both the food (some items were too salty) and the service (sporadic). In addition, except for a round table behind the waiting area, all the tables at Nicholas are very narrow and the seats are not that comfortable. For a party of 5, we had a rather small table. Once the drinks arrived and the food was served, we had to maneuver carefully around one another in order to prevent any spills (which did not happen but there was a couple of close calls). At one point, we asked for a serving spoon for one of the rice dishes and were given a coffee spoon! The pita bread refill request took forever, and when we asked the waitress when it would be ready, she said there were 4 tables ahead of us so we'd have to wait for our turn. TMI!!!!! A simpler, nicer response would have sufficed. Then, the bill was dropped off on the corner of the table, as if it was a signal for us to step on it and leave. What? No dessert? Yes, I can see patrons waiting for a table, but we're still eating over here. Needless to say, i will never come back to Nicholas. As a Gresham resident, I always try to support the local merchants but I will drive to Portland next time for better middle eastern food.