“Just stayed for five weeks”

Extended Stay America - Portland - Gresham
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Gresham
Naples, Florida
“Just stayed for five weeks”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014

I stayed here for five weeks. The hotel was upgraded during my stay and I finished my time in a remodeled room. I say here fifteen weeks per year. The new rooms have improved reading chairs and vastly upgraded eating and work chairs.

Staff are always efficient and friendly.

See you in April

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Bob K
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Portland - Gresham, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your newly renovated room. As well, I’m glad that our staff continues to provide you with great customer service each time you stay with us. Thank you again for your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2014

This is a copy of what I sent the hotel after our stay.

My family's stay at the Extended Stay America Hotel in Portland, Oregon was awful.

To begin, we were never told that they were going to be under construction at the time of our stay. We may have rethought coming here if we had known. We felt deceived when no one told us when we called to make our reservation. We waited to be checked in because they were handling another guest. He was leaving early. He only stayed a night and sounded like he had prepaid for 4 or 5 nights. All he wanted was a refund for the nights he hadn't stayed and he was told that they couldn't give him a refund because he had prepaid for the room and the computer wasn't allowing them to. He was told he would just have to call someone else to see if they could refund him. He left annoyed that there was a chance that we was going to waste about $300 on nothing. People should only pay for services rendered. He only stayed a night. It should not be that difficult to get a refund on the nights he didn't stay. This should have been the first hint that we were in for a bad experience. We were told at check in that we were going to be staying in a newly renovated room (which sounded great), but we were not told that the water was going to be turned off the next morning. Only later after the water was turned off did we notice random notes on other doors saying that the water would be off between 9am and 3pm. The signs were not on all doors, only a few others. We would have planned for it had we been told or had a note placed on our room door.

When we first entered our room, it stank; we immediately opened the windows to try and get rid of the smell, a mix of chemicals and cigarette smoke. Each morning we had to open the windows and had the them open all day to try and clear out the lingering odors. The smoke smell came from the vent in the bathroom, which permeated everything and saturated the beds. We ended up keeping the bathroom door closed to try to keep that smell out. You'd also think that a hotel with no window venting the bathroom would have an exhaust fan to keep the bathroom from fogging up, but no, not this hotel; the vent seemed to only exist to ensure the smokers in the next room could spread the joy.

The comforter on one of the beds was gross- it looked like there were dried blood stains on it, so we had to ask for another blanket.

The Kitchen was a joke. I've never stayed at a place with such an ill-equipped kitchen. We've stayed at other hotels with kitchens, like the Residence Inn, so I know what to expect. There were no cooking utensils, so we had to use plain silverware to cook with. The kitchen only had enough for two people even though four people could stay in that room. Logic would follow that if four people could stay in a room, it would be set up with a set of four plate settings. We had to go down stairs to request an extra set of everything to accommodate the three of us. We also noticed there was no sponge and when we asked for one, we were told to use the single dish towel provided to us (the one you use to dry cleaned dishes with). I cooked eggs for breakfast the first morning. I tried using the kitchen towel to clean the pot, but it, of course, didn't work. What little I did clean off ended up clogging the sink since there was no garbage disposal. We might as well have been washing dishes in the bathroom sink. We asked on four separate occasions for a sponge only to be told that they don't usually give out sponges but they would see what they could do for us. Nothing ever happened about that, despite people writing notes to remember to ask the manager (who never seemed to be around) or someone better able to handle that problem. After telling staff members that we had asked for a sponge and never getting one, all of them thought it was weird that we hadn't been given one. I don't know who's brilliant idea to cut costs by not providing us a sponge, but that idea was asinine. You've only created more work for your housekeepers who now have to wash the dishes because a towel does nothing. We were never able to clean the pot properly, so we were never able to cook any of the other food we had bought. We chose the hotel because it had the option to cook. We thought there was a fully equipped kitchen that would have some cooking utensils and proper cleaning supplies, not just access to a stove, fridge, and microwave; you know, like advertised on the website. This was an utter waste of extra money to get these 'features' so that we wouldn't have to eat out all the time. We ended up donating our food that we had intended to cook in the hotel to the local rescue mission so it wouldn't go to waste.

The bathroom had issues as well. We first noticed that the toilet paper was just sitting on the counter and not properly put away. We noticed that the bar the holds the toilet paper was missing. We had to go down to the the front desk, yet again, to ask for one. We also noticed there was no hair dryer. This is the first hotel I've ever been to where one wasn't provided. We were going to take showers the first morning after breakfast but found that the water was turned off. When we were finally able to use the showers, the tub leaked all over the floor and into the kitchen leaving a huge soapy puddle of water. They told us that they didn't have another room available to move us into, but they could have the maintenance guy come and look at it. The maintenance guy only works during the graveyard shift and would only be able to look between 11pm -7 am. So, wanting to be able to take showers, we decided to have him come at 11 pm. He came at 11:30 and spoke to my husband about the issue with the tub. He told us that it was the contractors' fault and they needed to come and fix the problem. Neither one of us found this an acceptable excuse since the hotel should have made sure everything was in working order before they gave the room out. He told us that he could try and fix it that night but didn't think we wanted him in there tearing up the floor at that hour to find the leak. He said that maybe he could find an empty room for us to take showers in if we wanted. He asked us when we would like the contractors to come into our room; we said after 11am since we were up late and didn't want to get up early. He said he would schedule them to come after 11am. I get a call at 8am telling me this plan again, which woke me up. When I'm on vacation I don't want to get up early and someone calling me the second their so-called "quiet time hours" are over is rude. The fact that we actually talked to the maintenance man the night before to work out this plan should clue them in that an 8 am call is probably not appropriate.

A note on their quiet time hours: they don't exist. All hours of the night I could hear people talking, doors slamming and loudly walking down the hallways. Maybe it was the maintenance man who has ridiculous hours. How is a maintenance man not going to make noise fixing things? You’re hotel is not like Disneyland where guest stay all day and leave at night and then the maintenance crews come in and fixes stuff. The exact opposite is true. The maintenance man should work during to day to better accommodate guests and won’t disturb people trying to sleep.

Our stay here was impressively bad. The staff seemed helpful, but in the end it looked like they were just saying stuff to make us stop complaining. This was not home away from home. They need to change your motto.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Crystal L
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Portland - Gresham, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Crystal - Thank you for providing us with details about your visit. The issues you described are truly regrettable and I apologize for your experience. I am sorry that you were not informed of our renovations when you booked your stay and that you were not notified that your water would be turned off. I also apologize that you experienced issues with your bathroom and the smell of your room. As well, I am sorry that the kitchen in your room did not meet your expectations and that you experienced noise disturbances from neighboring guests. All of your comments will be helpful as we continue to improve our guest experience. I would be happy to speak with you further about your stay. If you would like, please contact me directly, at GRE@extendedstay.com. We do hope that you will stay with us again so we can have the opportunity to provide you with a better experience.

Travelers are raving about these Gresham hotels

Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

here is a copy of what I sent to the company:

Myself and an associate stayed at your hotel for about 4 months. For just over 2 months the toilet in our room was broken. On weekdays we where forced to use the bathroom at the local Burger King. If we had to use the bathroom after Burger King closed we had to poop in bags and place them in the trash. We called the front desk at least 15 times about the problem, and the response would take days to weeks. The first time a worker snaked the toilet, but was only able to get it to flush barley. The second it was used again it wouldn't flush. It's not like we were doing anything strange or had heath issues. Hell we wouldn't even flush toilet paper, we would put it in the trash. After the maintenance man snaked the toilet once, unsuccessfully, he said we had to get and snake and snake it ourselves. And no matter how hard we snaked the toilet it still wouldn't work. On weekends the staff would give us the key to a dirty room so we use their bathroom, but during the week we where forced to go to Burger King or poop in a bag. Then they moved us to another room on the second floor because of the renovation. Even with all the noise it was nice because we finally had a working toilet. Hower 2 days ago at 11:30am in the morning a maid knocked on the door and said that we had an half and hour to leave because they overbooked rooms and they had no where to place us. We asked to talk to the manager, and she called him while we waited 20 min in the hallway while they discusses renovation issues. When we asked to talk to the manager, we where told he refused to speak with us and even though we had been there for 4 months and were paid up for the next 2 and a half weeks we still had to leave. They said they would refund our credit card, but we still don't know if they did that. I have never been treated to such horrible treatment by a hotel in my life and I can assure you that our company will never be sending our employees to your hotel ever again. It was bad enough ignoring the toilet, but then to kick us out with only a 1/2 hours notice after staying there for 4 months is outrageous. .

Room Tip: Run away as fast as u can
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Brady L
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Portland - Gresham, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Brady - I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. The situation surrounding your guest room you described is unacceptable, and I sincerely apologize for your experience. As per our previous conversations, know that we are doing everything on our end to ensure this never happens again and that all communications are properly addressed. Still, if you would like to speak about this further, or need more assistance, please reach out to me at gre@extendedstay.com.

We do hope you will choose to stay with us again so we can have the opportunity to provide you with a better experience.
Yakima, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2014

Call beor making a reservation to see if they are finished with renovations, workmen hammering woke us up.
There was ice and snow at the lobby entrance that made it very difficult to get in to check into our room. No ice melt or shoveled path was used and parking was very difficult also due to ice and snow being built up in the parking spaces.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank lynstric
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I am very sorry that you were affected by the renovations being made to our hotel. We are striving to ensure that it does not disturb our guests, and will continue to do so moving forward. As well, I apologize for the ice and snow outside the hotel. Our staff works hard to ensure that the walkways are cleared at all times, but due to the amount of weather we received this was a challenge. For the future, we are working to improve the way we handle these types of storms.

Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention. I invite you to contact me, at gre@extendedstay.com, if you have any additional comments. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2013

The hotel was nice enough. My husband and I took the local taxi around and for some drivers it was hard to find. We did not receive room service other then our first week (we stayed close to two months) and there where some guests that would roam the halls at all hours but the staff and room where nice enough.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MrsKarlsen
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Portland - Gresham, responded to this review, December 24, 2013
I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I am so happy to read that you and your Husband enjoyed our hotel and the service our staff provided overall. Still, I am sorry to read about your housekeeping service. Our guest rooms should be serviced once a week for those staying 8 or more nights, so I will work with my staff to ensure this is being provided moving forward.

Thank you again for your post. The staff and I would love to provide you with another comfortable stay in the future.
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013

I booked this hotel through Priceline for 5 nights and did not even stay one. I checked out within 20 minutes of checking in and immediately after seeing the room. The entire experience was completely underwhelming and I would give a 0 or negative rating if it was allowed by the system.

We arrived at the hotel and I went in to check in around 7:30pm. No one was at the desk and it took about 5 minutes of walking around and saying "hello? anyone work here?" to finally produce an associate from the back room. After getting checked in and getting the luggage from the car, we went to the room. As soon as I opened the door, I knew we had to leave.

The kitchenette countertop had tiny scraps of paper and random paperclips on it. There were dried dead leaves on the carpet. The chair and footstool in the corner had I don't even want to know what kind of stains on the seat cushion and the foot stool. The towels looked like they had been used and refolded, the carpet had weird, random stains and the whole room smelled like sweat and body odor.

I packed up the car and went back in to check out 20 minutes after I checked in. Again, the front desk clerk was nowhere to be found and I had to wait 5 minutes for him to show up again. I politely explained that I had purchased trip insurance through Priceline and would be canceling the remaining 4 days of the reservation and would be in touch with Priceline regarding the refund. There was no reason to be mad at the front desk clerk, he's just some poor kid stuck and a crappy situation.

He did offer to see if another room was available and I politely declined. I had read the reviews on a couple different sites and made the mistake of believing that folks must be exaggerating. They were not. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone for any reason.

I wish I had had the presence of mind to take photos of the condition of the room as I'm sure some of it sounds unbelievable but sadly, it is not.

Room Tip: Do not choose this hotel for any reason.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank cjones2116
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Portland - Gresham, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. The experience you described is unacceptable, and I sincerely apologize. I will immediately begin to work with my desk staff to ensure they are available immediately for check-in. We take specific measures to ensure our guest rooms are fresh and comfortable for every guest. I will find out what happened in this circumstance as I am disheartened to read the condition you found your room. This does not at all meet our company or hotel standards. We certainly missed our goal of providing a "home away from home" experience and for this I am incredibly sorry. Your comments were reviewed by the staff, and we will work together to make sure your experience is not repeated.

The staff and I appreciate your comments, as it will only help us to improve. Please contact me, at gre@extendedstay.com, if you would like to discuss this further. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations across the U.S. and Canada in the future.
Glasgow
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

Toilet clogged, bed was hard and uncomfortable, pillows were flat and worthless. It was not worth the $85 a night price tag attached to it. You have to pay an extra $10 a day FOR MAID SERVICE!!! Otherwise, you can clean the room, make the bed, vacumn and hunt down new clean towels in your spare time. The remote control was a chore, took forever to get it to work just a little.. The breakfast choices was a next to nothing. Towels were like drying off with sand paper and the bedding was just sad. Then when we tried checking out, computers were down. I was on a two day trip for a wedding and it took more energy fighting the things in this room than it did to set up my sons wedding.

Room Tip: If you need a kitchenette to feed your family and can't afford an apartment or house then this i...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Sheri H
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Portland - Gresham, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Your review for our hotel was recently brought to my attention. I am sorry to hear that your stay was anything less than "a home away from home." Your comments were reviewed by the staff, and we will immediately begin to address your concerns. As we discussed on the phone we have multiple paths to follow to improving the value and service our guests receive due to your detailed comments and to make sure your experience is not repeated.

We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. If you have any additional feedback, we would like to hear it. Please contact me, at gre@extendedstay.com, so we can speak directly. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope we have the opportunity to see you again in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gresham
Days Inn Portland/Gresham
#15 of 139 in Portland
Days Inn & Suites Gresham
Best Western Plus Cascade Inn & Suites
Super 8 Gresham/Portland Area OR

Been to Extended Stay America - Portland - Gresham? Share your experiences!