“Worst experience in recent memory”

Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Gresham
Reviewed May 26, 2010

I reserved a room online specifically requesting a quiet room. For some inexplicable reason they put us in a handicapped room with a door that adjoined to another room. I wasn't happy about the handicapped room, but figured it was ok for the one night we were staying. At 3:00 AM we were awakened by the voices of at least 3, perhaps as many as 8 people who had checked into the adjoining room and at least one more room across the hall. I could go on about the hours that followed, but suffice it to say that the hotel should have considered its guests before sending a group of drunken ignoramuses to rooms at 3:00 AM.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank genuinearticle_7
FrontDM, Manager at Days Inn Portland/Gresham, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2010

It is always Days Inn standard to provide our guests with the quoted price and room type reserved. Our single queen accessible rooms were the least expensive room and the 1st room offered on-line, we have since lowered the price of our standard king room to accommodate the pricing confusion. Our hotel has 4 accessible rooms in its entirety which are all located in the middle of the building and adjoined to another room. The guests who were in the adjoining room, checked in during the early evening hours and apparently attended wedding festivities during that evening.

Whenever we are informed of any noise complaint we make sure to not only address the issue immediately but also enforce any further issues as they arise. Our property rarely has issues of extremely unruly guests but on occasional times of festivity we may need to address an inconvenience. It is never our desire to negate or discount your concerns so again we truly apologize. We only ask that if at all possible to be notified of any disturbance immediately so that we have the opportunity to rectify the situation.

We hope that you will provide us with another opportunity to serve you, by giving us a call directly at 503-618-8400. Again thank you for this opportunity to improve our hotel and for your future stay.

Steve Choi

Reviewed May 7, 2010

I needed a place to stay in Portland for 5 nights. My husband also stayed the first and last night, as he had a short business trip out of state in between.

I spent a long time online researching hotels, amenities, and reviews, before I settled on this one.

I was very happy with the hotel. We were not looking for something fancy, and it wasn't. But it suited our purposes just about perfectly.

I needed to be able to exercise, and I wanted to swim some laps in the pool while I was there. I also needed a good internet connection as I was working from the hotel room a lot during the days.

The hotel had all of the amenities one could need - desk, comfortable leather desk chair, fridge, microwave, iron/ironing board, coffee maker, high-speed wireless internet (actually the internet speed was over 5 MPS which is pretty good), TV (which I don't need but that's me), full sets of towels, etc.

The shower was simple but great, with adjustable head. There was no bathtub. The dressing table and sink area was great for putting on makeup etc (well lit, enough space). It was very helpful to have a fridge and microwave there as I did not want to spend money eating in restaurants! And did not have to.

The exercise room was also very convenient; though I would personally improve it a bit if it were up to me. There was a bike, elliptical, and stepper. But no treadmill :( which was not so good as I am trying to run at least 15 miles per week. Also the exercise equipment was a bit rickety. It did work though. The bike seat adjustment seemed to not work properly (I should have told the manager but only thought of it now).

The pool was perfect for swimming laps, and it was very warm!

The coffee maker in the room was not so good - even when I used and ground my own coffee, any coffee made in those machines was pretty bad. I think it has to do with how the filter is shaped. Also there is a strong smell in the elevator, which seems like stale air from the shaft and/or a ventilation system that hasn't been cleaned in a long time. However, this was just the elevator.

But the room was perfectly fine, and clean. It was pleasant to spend the day there.

Breakfast was pretty ample and was good - though there was a lot of junk food, there was also a bit of healthier food. They had 4 cereals (3 sugar cereals and corn flakes), instant oatmeal, whole wheat bread and toaster, orange juice, apple juice, applesauce (including organic), yogurts, make-you-own waffles, biscuits and gravy, boiled eggs (usually), bananas, apples, pastries, and coffee. The coffee was pretty bad though, very watery. That is not unusual for cheaper coffee in America though.

My husband did have to take a cab twice to the airport because the Days Inn Shuttle only ran from 8 am to 8 pm, which was a disappointment.

The walls are a bit thin so you can hear the noise of your neighbors. Also, there is a lot of noise in the walls of water moving through pipes. That didn't bother me so much but I am not very sensitive to those types of things.

Front desk staff were helpful and friendly, and I had no problems with them at all.

There is also a business center in the reception with a computer and printer for guests to use.

Overall it was a pleasant and fun experience to work and stay in this hotel. My husband stayed in a similarly priced hotel (out of state) while he was away, which had been booked by someone else, and it was a total nightmare. The difference with this hotel was quite extreme and I was very happy that I chose it.

If I needed to stay in this area again for a period of time I would definitely stay in this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank annavera4444
Reviewed March 12, 2010

We wanted to shop in downtown Portland, but no rooms were available. So we decided to stay at the Days Inn in Gresham because of it's location and great price ($42 plus tax/no cancellation allowed). We got there in the evening time and the parking lot was situated off the street, next to a McDonalds and a gas station. It was a couple of blocks from the highway. The desk clerk Ronda was very nice and made my check-in within 5 mins. The lobby was very clean and spacious. Even the breakfast area was very enticing. Walking to our room the hallways were very clean w/ no obvious damages or bad odors. The room itself was designated as "Handicap" so it was very spacious. I wish they filled the room better w/ furniture and pictures because it just kinda felt empty. The AC/HEAT, Microwave, TV and Refrigerator was all in working condition and very clean. The Bathroom was again very large and well sanitized. Internet was also free, and it was very quiet. The only complaint was that the TV was acting up a little w/ no COMCAST available (compared to other sister hotels), and the bed was on it's way out. It is a little further from downtown Portland, but if you've never been to Oregon it's a good field trip. We checked out the next morning and was greeted by an Asian Clerk (sorry, I forgot his name), who was also especially well mannered and only took us a couple minutes to check out. Overall the stay was great and more than affordable.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 4, 2010

We got in late and so we braved the shabby hotel lobby (wallpaper peeling from the wall, buckets full of filthy water standing in the way) and went to check out the room. The smell was something indescribable in the hallway. We made it to the room and the bed was as flat as a pancake and the pillow was flat as well and smelly. My daughter was exhausted and so I decided to brave the first night. We layed our coats over the pillows for safety and then I pulled back the covers and we again, used more coats for warmth. We did not sleep under the dingy, smelly sheets.

We got up early and had to leave immediatly, but I took all my personal belongings worth anything with me. We came back later that evening to collect our things, just in time to hear the neighbors partying and using foul language as well as other "adult content" from the adjoining room.

We could not get out of there fast enough and the hotel did not give us back our money. We booked thru Priceline which I will NEVER use again because they did not reinburse me either. I had to pay for this awful hotel as well as a much nicer, cleaner and safer hotel for the next 4 nights.

I would not suggest if you have any standards at all that you stay here. Not only is it a Flea bag, but the neighborhood is really SCARY. You will hear planes all night long as well as drunk people going thru the McDonalds drive thru right outside your window.

Never stay at this hotel, it is not for "decent" people.

Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank startknu
FrontDM, Front Desk Manager at Days Inn Portland/Gresham, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2010

We appreciate you taking time out to send in your reviews. I would like to apologize that your experience was anything less than satisfying. We really pay attention to our guest comments and critiques in an effort to improve our service. Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible.

Although we make every effort to accommodate our guests, difficult circumstances may sometimes occur. Because we are unable to make cancellations to third party bookings; we are better able and have more flexibility with reservations made directly through our hotel or website.

As our previous reviews have established customer service and cleanliness are always our major priorities. Unfortunately at the time of this visit maintenance was required on a water issue in a small corner of our lobby, and required the wallpaper to be loose for a short period of time to dry. We apologize if this was an inconvenience and this issue has been addressed. Our hotel staff and guest safety is also number one on our list and our hotel in particular is one of the safest because we have overnight security, cameras and a 24hr desk.

If there are issues such as noise or bed comfort or other accommodation issues; after we are informed, please give us the opportunity to make possible adjustments in room location or quietness of other guests in order to achieve full satisfaction during your stay.

In all, you are always our priority and we hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience during your stay and hope to see you during your next visit.

Steve Choi

Reviewed October 8, 2009

My wife stayred for 2 nights in mid-September. The room was clean. The hotel is in the landing approach for the Portland Airport so there is constant jet noise. Unfortunately we had some noisy neighbors during our stay as well. However the hotel's low price and nice rooms and excellent breakfast make it a good value. One negative was the limited cable channels, only 24. The king room did not have a table or chairs.
The breakfast included waffles, frest fruit, muffins, juice, hot and cold cereal, and coffee.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 20, 2009

This is a very nice hotel that offers much more than others in this price range. Staff were very friendly and competent. The rooms were very clean and up to date in styling and design. Full automatic fire sprinklers and integrated alarm system are a nice "must have' safety feature. Guest computer and printer worked flawlessly. The complimentary breakfast offered many choices and everything was fresh and the dining room was maintained in a very clean manner. We would certainly stay again.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank ElectricEye
Reviewed July 30, 2009

I stayed here recently. The location is ideal. It is located off I-84 and it next to a gas station and restaurants. It is resonably priced comapared to the hotels just a few exits down.The gal at check in was friendly. The parking was decent, but there was a lack of entrances which was kind of a hassel when your room is at the end of the property. First thing I noticed was that the a/c was not on when I entered the room, not a good thing in July. However when I turned it on it worked great. The bathroom only had a shower which wasn't an issue for me as I wasn't going to take a bath. Also the sliding door to the bathroom wasn't working. There was a slight urine smell in one part of the room. It wasn't over powering but it was present. The continental breakfast closes at 9am, which to me seems pretty early to me. Most places I have stayed at they close at 10am.

The reason that I consider this to be a decent place is because the hotel a few exits down was almost twice the price and it was at a comprable property. It was good for what I paid. I would only recomend it for people looking for a one night stay.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gresham
Quality Inn Gresham
Hampton Inn Portland East
Hampton Inn Portland East
#21 of 146 in Portland
Comfort Inn Columbia Gorge Gateway

Been to Days Inn Portland/Gresham? Share your experiences!