“Great place to stay”

GreenLeadersGold level
Napa, California
“Great place to stay”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We drive from CA to WA every 4-6 weeks and always stay here, with our dog, who is approx 70lbs. We've been doing this for about 3 years now. Quiet, clean and fresh; always warm and friendly staff and a great breakfast. We never stay anywhere else. They even provide dog poop bags and a treat for her. It's in a great location to take the dog walking after being in the car. There is a large parking lot on the right side to accommodate large trucks and things being towed like a UHaul or a boat. The only negative is that the pillows are hard and stiff but gosh, it's a road trip! We aren't at home.

Room Tip: All the rooms are equal.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Brian P, General Manager at Best Western Inn at the Rogue, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Smarie D thank you so much for a wonderful review and your continued support. We love having canine companions stay with us and are glad to see that you enjoy your time here. We can’t wait to see you again soon!

The Management and Staff at Best Western Inn at the Rogue.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Palmdale, California
Reviewed July 29, 2013

My wife and I took a trip up the west coast and decided to stay at the best western inn at the rogue river. First of all this hotel shows a grants pass location but is 9-10 miles from grants pass. This inconveince was my fault due to my lack of research. There was a bestwestern in grants pass but this one was not, not even in the same county. When we arrived we mentioned to the manager that in there information for the hotel it should state that they really are not in grants pass and its a short drive away. Paula the manager stated you have the last room and due to a fire nearby good luck in finding anything closer. She stated there were evacuations going on and local people were getting rooms to avoid the fire. Now I have been a fireman now for a little over 32 years and I am very sympathetic to those in need and in fact would give up my room if 1 of the local people needed one , however I am also very informed about the fire and had been listening to the radio when the evacuation orders had been lifted. My wife and I did take the room and decided to make the best of the situation and decided to travel 15 to 20 minutes back down the road to grants pass and get dinner. Upon returning to our room we were very tired and we were looking forward to a good nights sleep. When we arrived and entered the room the a/c was on making a squealing noise and the room smelled a little musty, I turned off the a/c and we decided to go to sleep because it was getting late(1030pm). As I turned my bed spread down I noticed some very small bugs on my bed spread and sheets. I immediately notified paula to let her know of the situation and a few minutes later she arrived at our room to see the bugs. Paula saw the bugs and stated that "these are not bed bugs I have taken a class and these are not bed bugs" She said they may be knats. My response was knats fly and these bugs are not flying. She offered to remake the bed but that was all she could unless we wanted to go somewhere else. We asked if she could assist us in finding another best western hotel in the areas closest to this location. and she said there was 1 in Medford if we wanted to call and book a room there. (not wanting to assist us in finding another hotel) My wife told her thanks but we would move on however she also asked paula to write on the back of the receipt that she witnessed the bugs and that she had no other rooms were avi. paula started to write the note then changed her mind. When my wife returned to the car and told me this I was very disappointed that paula lacked the integrity to acknowledge what she had previously seen with her own eyes and what she said herself was unacceptable condition of the room. paula stated he would talk to the manager in the morning. My wife and I traveled about 35 miles to Medford and stayed at another hotel Rogue Regency that was very helpful in assisting us in getting a room. The next morning when my wife called the Best Western and we were told the manager would not be in until Monday. My wife and called and left a complaint with best western customer service line. On Tuesday the manager at the rogue contacted me to tell me that he had refunded our payment. I thanked him and wanted to mention my concerns when he told me he checked the room found no bugs and that the a/c was fine, he said I returned your money for the night can I call corporate and tell them that's acceptable, not wanting this ordeal to continue while I was on vacation I said it was acceptable and moved on. I have stayed at a lot of hotels and I have never been treated like this before. My wife and I were called liars by the manager and the management needs to learn about integrity, honesty, customer service.

Room Tip: Pay more and go somewhere else!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank firecapt102
Brian P, General Manager at Best Western Inn at the Rogue, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
We sincerely regret that your stay with us was not a typical experience at our hotel. At the Best Western Inn at the Rogue, our guest satisfaction and comfort are our number one priority and we strive for that with each of our guests. In your review it may appear that Paula was rude and unhelpful but in fact called many hotels attempting to find another location for you when you checked in. Due the fires in the area and it being our busiest season, there was not another Best Western room available in the area.

Regarding the incident in question, the room was immediately taken off-line; a staff evaluation was conducted, followed by a thorough professional examination. It was not until management was 100% certain that the room was suitable for occupancy that it was returned to inventory. The guest was also personally contacted by the General Manager. As an experienced and conscientious hospitality professional this incident is both frustrating and alarming, as we host thousands of guests each year, consistently providing exemplary service and comfort. We apologize for the inconvenience and discomfort this guest experienced and once again, we would like to assure you that the Best Western Inn at the Rogue does not have a bed bug problem. We take every step including staff training and implementing professional preventative programs to insure our guests’ comfort.

The Management and staff at Best Western Inn at the Rogue.
Fort Bragg, California
Reviewed July 27, 2013

We recently stayed at the Best Western Inn at the Rogue in Grants Pass, Oregon. Our room was large and the bed was ever so comfortable. The manager Brian Paine, along with employees Daniel and Gemsy were friendly, helpful and made us feel right at home. A nice breakfast room. It's located outside of the mainstream of Grants Pass which is a plus. It's a very beautiful area. We highly recommend this hotel and will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Right at home is exactly how we want you to feel Flame505 so thank you for the compliment! We are so glad that you enjoyed your time here and agree that the area is beautiful! We hope you are able to make it our way again soon. Thank you again for your review.

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed July 27, 2013

The staff at this hotel are wonderful people. We originally reserved two nights but felt so at home and welcome that we asked for an additional two nights. Anything we needed, at anytime of day or night, was provided. I traveled with my 3 adult children, one who had horrible allergies and getting more tissues and hand soaps in the middle of the night wasn't a problem. We also had an unfortunate toilet clogging issue at the crack of dawn (possibly from those extra tissues?) and were able to be moved to a new room while they dealt with that issue. The housekeeping staff were fantastic, funny and friendly, one gave us food recommendations that we are so glad we took. She sent us to a restaurant called Eddy's Hamburgers. Turn left out of the hotel driveway, drive to the red light, about 4 miles, it's on the right. Never in my lifetime would we have stopped at this place based on the outside. But you know that old adage, don't judge a book by its cover, the food was wonderful. Real ice cream shakes, burgers made with delicious meat. YUM. The hotel is small so it books up fast and the team did a lot of juggling to get us our extra days and room changes. The beds are comfortable, the pool was clean and the hot tub was hot. The workout room is small but has a universal weight machine and treadmill, maybe an elliptical, not sure, didn't use it. Just filled up my water bottle in there. The laundry for guests is inexpensive, 75 cents each to wash and dry in large commercial machines. The store next door to the hotel is very convenient but Ray's grocery across the bridge is terribly expensive. The continental breakfast had the usual cereals, breads, waffles, fruit, boiled eggs, yogurt, juice, coffee, milk, biscuits and gravy and was always stocked and clean. The only thing missing at this hotel is conditioner.

Room Tip: This is a two story location and there is no elevator so if you have trouble with stairs try to book...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Elizabeth R you wrote a wonderful review and we thank you! You gave such great compliments touching on so many wonderful points about your stay. Thanks to reviews like yours, guests’ know exactly what they can expect when they step through our doors and we can only hope that you will return to enjoy our property again in the very near future.

Bay Point, United States
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Except for the burning smell, everything was great. Especially the size of the room not to mention the jacuzzi in the room etc. If we ever come back back to this area again, we will definately stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Dear Beverly C,
Thank you for reviewing your stay! A burning smell is never good, especially in a hotel, but as you probably read in the prior review we had an incident with a small fire in a guests’ microwave. Thanks to the quick action on behalf of the guest and the staff, all major catastrophes were avoided! The only loss sadly was the piece of pizza. We invite you to join us again soon and promise the burning smell is gone!
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Had lots of fun with family doing jet boat rides and eating in quaint local restaurants. The staff was amazing and really nice even when we started a fire in the microwave oven. The kids really enjoyed the refreshing pool and warm spa. The food was tasty.

• Stayed July 2013
We can’t stress enough how much fun the Hellgate Jet Boat Excursion is! It is wonderful to hear that you were able to enjoy this fantastic adventure. A recipe for a great night sleep is a day on the water and then a night at the pool to get the kids good and tired! Thank you IRC280f for taking the time to review your stay and we hope you and your family can return soon. Don’t worry, there are plenty of fire extinguishers on hand as well just in case you and the microwave disagree again!

Corona, California
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Location:
The hotel is actually located in Rogue River (population 2000), not Grants Pass. It is therefore well situated for exploring either up or down river. Up river, about a 10 minute drive away on I-5, is Grants Pass (population 34,000) home to Hellgate Jet Boat Tours, which is worth doing. Also upriver, but along Rogue River Highway, is River's Edge Restaurant, which is very nice and well sited on the river. Downstream are wineries, Jacksonville (the town is a National Historic Landmark), and Ashland (home of the Oregon Shakespeare Festival). The hotel is located across the street from Fleming Park which IS right on the river. So you can picnic in the park, or rent kayaks to float down the river, practically on site. A local market is located next door where you can pick up sandwiches or a nice bottle of wine. A walk across the bridge takes you to a nice walking/biking path along the river. I would give the location 4 stars (very good).

Property:
This is a typical Best Western property. The rooms are nothing to write home about, but our complaints were minor - e.g. it wasn't clear from the labeling whether the white stuff was conditioner or hand lotion, we had to ask for extra blankets, and the bathroom had an odd smell. There is no elevator, so if you don't like stairs ask for rooms on the first floor. The breakfast is NOT bad, they had cold hard boiled eggs as well as biscuits and gravy, in addition to the usual continental breakfast. The staff is VERY nice, although not incredibly competent. I would give the property 3 stars (average).

In Summary:
This is an average hotel in a very good location. Don't be expecting a "find", but don't be worried about having a poor stay. I would recommend this hotel for families on vacation as well as people traveling solo (e.g. fishermen). I would not recommend for business or for the ultimate in romance. Overall 3.5 stars (good, a category tripadvisor doesn't have).

Room Tip: No elevator, only stairs to second floor. They have rooms with single queen beds, two queen beds, a...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you, Tmgarrett, very much for your detailed review. It is so nice for travelers to hear about the area from someone who is not a local. A new set of eyes can really shine a whole new light on an area and you have given wonderful advice about our nearby surroundings and the hotel!