“Yum ole'”

El Charro Viejo
Ranked #23 of 213 Restaurants in Grants Pass
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed May 19, 2014

Really good Mexican food and try for the very very good Menudo on the weekends.....this is probably the best Mexican in GP. I have tried most of them

Reviewed March 29, 2014

There are approximately 12 Mexican restaurants in Grants Pass and we have eaten in about half of them. Most are okay, but they serve the typical gringofied, Swanson's TV dinner-style Mexican food...bland, bland, bland. And then there is El Charro Viejo!

This small, family owned and operated restaurant opened approximately 6 months ago. Friends of my wife told her about it and we decided to give it a try tonight and boy are we glad we did.

The staff is very friendly and attentive, the place is spotless and the menu, while having many of the old standbys does offer some other interesting choices that you don't often find north of the border, such as Camarones a La Crema, Parrilla Charra, Pollo Mole and Pescado al Mojo de Ajo to name a few. Be warned, the kitchen service is a bit on the slow side, but this is because your meal is basically being made to order from scratch and the wait is totally worth it. (Hey, if you want fast, go to Taco Bell.)

My wife had the shrimp fajitas and I had the chile rellenos. Both were outstanding....(fresh poblano chiles were used for the rellenos instead of the canned ones, and this always gets high marks from me as it is fairly uncommon these days.) The fajita sauce was unlike anything I have ever tasted and was fabulous. Portions are generous and the prices are reasonable. We will be back and truly hope that this restaurant makes it. (Tip: ask for the hot salsa....in addition to the mild red one and the pico de gallo they bring you with the chips....it is simply amazing.)