“Definitely not what it used to be...”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Summer Jo's Farm, Garden and Restaurant
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse, Native American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Grants Pass, Oregon
“Definitely not what it used to be...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

On my 21st birthday, I had enjoyed a ladies luncheon out in the gardens of Summer Jo's. It was fantastic food, wonderful service and an aromatic atmosphere. I remember falling in love with their Lavendar Lemonade. For my thirtieth birthday this past august, I was in the mood for another ladies luncheon at what I remembered as one of my favorite places to eat. How utterly disgusting and disappointed I was.
First off, that quaint little farm house that used to exude country charm, smelled like someone had been lighting a bonfire of Patchouli incense for weeks. The yard where you could sit outside hadnt been mowed or watered, the fruit trees had rotten, decaying fruit wafting through the air. There was a run down outside bar with pieces rusting and falling off, not to mention last years Christmas lights sagging over the rundown eaves.
Now, lets get to the food... you have about 3 sandwiches to choose from, or omelettes, and a hamburger. I tried the hamburger. Nothing special, not seasoned and pretty bland. I'm guessing it was on a homemade bun made 4 days prior, however when it fnally got to me it was so soggy on the bottom, I had to forego the bread and just eat the meat. So not worth the 11 bucks for a barely mediocre meal. I'd rather have a Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger from Wendy's- at least that is cheap AND flavorful. Now to the last wonderful part, the service. The girl who was our waitress was sweet enough, however couldve been a poster child for a Wellbutrin commercial. It couldve been a secondary high from the patchouli smell, but who knows? She was nice enough, I will give her credit for that, however we were the lucky ones as another middle aged waitress ran around with no deodorant wearing a loose spaghetti strap dress with her bra hanging out the back- not something I wanted to see while trying to consume food. Another poor aspect is that the owner's dog was allowed to roam freely amongst the garden area guests, he barked incessantly and came up to each of us trying to get us to throw a dirty slimy ball. The owners didnt even care about his behavior, didnt try to quiet him or even shoo him away from the guests... even after he dropped his dirty ball on my Moms white slacks leaving a muddy mess. I will never go back to this restaurant(I wouldnt even call it a restaurant, I'd call it a bloody mess.) If anyone should be nominated for Kitchen Nightmares or Restaurant Impossible, ding ding ding- HELLO!!!!!

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank TFahey

“Several times over the years”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012 via mobile

I have eaten here several times over the last few years. I food is always great, the service usually poor. I wish they would get their garden going again as well.

Medford, Oregon
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

Drove from Jacksonville to Grants Pass to dine at Summer Jos. I had been there years ago for lunch and enjoyed the gardens and food so I decided to take my mom there for a special dinner. We were sorely disappointed. The gardens are overgrown and full of weeds. It didn't look as if the gardens are used for the restaurant food at all. No care has been given to the grounds in some time. Tables and broken umbrellas dotted the brown lawn area. We ate dinner on the sun porch which appeared to need paint and cleaning. The food was marginal. We started with a caprese salad which has been drenched in garlic oil. The salmon meal and pasta primavera meals were fair. Interestingly no bread is served at all. The cherry pie was delightful and fresh - the best part of the meal. The bathroom needs serious attention. So, overall we were disappointed that we drove 45 minutes to eat in a run-down old farm outside of Grants Pass.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank M M
Klamath Falls, Oregon, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Breakfast at the Farm”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

Food and coffee were excellent. Screeened porch could have used a little cob-web removal.

Visited July 2012
Grants Pass, Oregon
“Are you kidding?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2012

We just came came back from having dinner here. The only reason we did was because a friend gave us a gift certificate that expires in a few days. We had reservations for 4 and we met our friends there. We were seated at a table for 6/8 , a plywood topper with an old cotton tablecloth that did not even try to cover the top. After 45 minutes we got our dinner with the explanation that my pizza took so long. The filets my friends had were good minus the fat and the duck was fine, pizza sort of OK,. The waitress was sweet but we did have to ask for her once, and ask twice for water Spending $27 on a filet, plus $8 a glass for OK wine, sitting on a plastic chair, in a weed patch with garage junk in the background is just crazy. The atmosphere is absolutely terrible, they could at least mow the weeds.How they stay in business is a mystery.

• Visited July 2012