“Great place to stay”

Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Grants Pass
San Francisco, California
“Great place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

John and Marty are wonderful people and the rooms are great. The atmosphere is perfect for relaxing. Try it once and you'll want to return again and again as we do. Everyone we met in town were friendly and helpful. Thanks for a great stay.
Phil and Nancy
LOOK Gallery SF

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
JMCasterlin, Owner at Buona Sera Inn, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Thanks Kids! It was great having you at the Inn, and look forward to your next visit!

We truly appreciate the fantastic review!

Peace, John and Mardie...

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Merced, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

There are several nice motels in Grants Pass, at various prices. Often times the lower priced motels get lower ratings, but this motel is clearly the exception. I often think when I check into a motel, ok, they have a pool, exercise room, great view, etc, and I won't be able to use all this.... but regardless, I'm paying for the privilege anyhow. Yet if I pick a cheaper place it may not be clean.
The Buena Sera Inn is your answer to this dilemma! It's an older building, doesn't have a pool and exercise room, but it's imaginatively decorated, well maintained, and clean. It has comfortable beds, TVs, and wifi, which is all most people ever use anyway. I don't want to repeat what other reviewers already mentioned, I agree with what most people wrote. I would like to mention that hardwood floors are difficult to find in motels, and this one has them! These floors are the best for people with allergies and asthma.
The original owners sold the motel to another couple this June. It seems though the new owners are every bit as dedicated and friendly as the original owners.
The motel is located on a fairly busy street, as are several other motels. Once I shut the door and window the road noise faded into white noise and wasn't intrusive. I stayed in the Starry Night room, room 10, which is located in a corner next to the office. That room is perfect for one person, as it has one full sized bed. The office is located away from the street at the end of the parking lot. Rooms are numbered 1-15. The rooms closest to road noise would be 1-3, and 13-15.
When I arrived there were people sitting under an awning in front of the office, having some wine and dinner with the owners. I joined them later on just to shoot the breeze. It was so pleasant, and you just don't see that done at a chain motel. There's a definite homey atmosphere here, like the Mom and Pop stores of yesteryear.
I drive through Grants Pass several times a year, and will stay here again.
If you're on the fence about staying in Ashland, Medford, or GP, give GP a try. It has the charm that Medford lacks and the prices that Ashland lack. Happy travels!

Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Cali4niahiker
Sacramento, California, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

If you are looking for a hotel that is sterile, sparkling, and new, with crisp fluffy white bedding and bleached towels this is not your place. However, if you like the idea of sleeping over at your parent's house, take a look! The rooms all face the parking lot, and each room has a fancy name instead of a number. The whole place has been lovingly hand painted to look like an Italian Villa. With fake brickwork and marble and everything. The rooms are small but painstakingly well loved and decorated. The pillow cases and sheets were mismatched sets, and the toilet and sink were avocado green. The owners are very European, and very friendly and talkative and have a white poodle that may wander into your room to hang out with you if you leave the door open, which we did.

There was a refrigerator in our room, as well as a stove and sink and a cabinet full of dishes. We had the two bedroom corner room, I believe the only one of its kind in the hotel.

Remember to bring your own toiletries if you use more than shampoo and soap. There were plenty of pillows and the AC worked well. All in all it was a great little place where we felt at home.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Tacoma, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

I chose to check this place out purely due to TripAdvisor reviews. I typically do not stay in outside entrance places. So the motels/inn's of "yesteryear" don't appeal to me. However, this was such an enjoyable experience. I walked in to the office and had a nice chat with the owners, and asked to see a couple of rooms. When they showed us the second one, we decided to stay. I disagree about road noise. The big chain hotels are almost all near freeways and that's big time road noise. This is on a fairly busy street, but once we closed the door (and we checked before we chose to stay) the road noise was minimal. We had people in the next room and didn't hear anything from them either. It was very quiet.
All the rooms are decorated differently. We stayed in "Tranquility" and loved it. It was closer to the back of the motel so perhaps that helped with any noise factor. The decor was special. The bathroom actually had a magnolia tree painted up the wall and on to the ceiling. It was beautiful. We had a small microwave, and fridge. They also provided wine glasses and a corkscrew. The bathroom was large. It only had a stand up shower, but that was fine by us. The linens, the bed, the decorations the lighting, the space.....all great. I should also mention that it was one of the cleanest places we have ever stayed in.
Really, I can't say enough good things about this. They provided fruit, pastries and coffee for breakfast. Not a lot, but it was fine. I would rather stay here for what we got then go to a look-a-like chain and get a waffle.
The only recommendation I would offer the owners would be perhaps to put an extra pillow or two on the shelves in case people want to have more support. Not a big deal - just a thought.
If you are in Grants Pass and need a place to stay - do go here. Ask to see the various rooms available to you so you can make a choice. The owners were very accommodating.

Room Tip: Ask the owners to see the rooms available and make your choice. I would think rooms toward the back...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank grammajamma
Kingston, Washingston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Old world retro motel, updated to make you feel very at home. Cute rooms that were fun and immaculately clean. I would stay there again. The owners are accommodating and made you feel at home. Ate at The Vine Italian Restaurant and had a lovely meal in a quaint environment.

Be sure to put this on your "must stay her" list of travel motels.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank DianaKingsley
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

I found this little "Gem" on one of my many trips to Grants Pass to see visit my parents. The owners Peter and Irene treat me like family, they go out of their way to make sure I have everything I need and more... Because I travel alone they watch out for me, making sure I'm always safe. This little Inn has everything you need; kitchen w/dining area, TV w/ cable, FREE WiFi, very comfortable beds, exceptional linens and towels just like home. All the rooms are decorated each with their own theme and colors. I always look forward to returning in the evening to see what colored towels they've left. To sum it up " it is the cleanest, friendliest, most comfortable and unique place in in town" Thank you Peter and Irene:) Cindi, San Diego

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank CindiY
Salem, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

This is an older motel but it is kept up to very high standards. Everything is clean and in great working order. We stayed in a king bed room, we had lots of room, large screen tv with directv, good lighting, hot water and a shower head that puts out a good steam of water not a trickle like in some motels. I don't know what more a person could say except we that we would stay here again.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple