“Gem of a Motel”
Review of Buona Sera Inn

Buona Sera Inn
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Grants Pass
Reviewed October 13, 2011

I stopped here overnight on the recommendation of Trip Advisor and was not disappointed. It's a small 1950's-style motel in a residential area of Grants Pass, but beautifully maintained and updated. Each room is different; Pete, the husband of the couple who own and run the motel, asked me whether I wanted a firm or soft mattress, and based on my choice, suggested Room 2 (firm mattress!). It was a small but very cute room, nicely appointed bathroom with stall shower, and a separate room which one could use as a dining area (microwave and refrigerator in the room) but I used the table for my computer (free WiFi)! Both owners are delightful, friendly and helpful; Pete suggested a nice restaurant for dinner and since I was leaving town early he had a suggestion for breakfast as well (they serve complimentary breakfast at the motel; I had the coffee and a fresh fig from a friend's garden but passed on the packaged muffins.) The coffee was excellent. The only issue with the motel is that it is noisy at night as traffic rolls by the window at all hours, even though the town is not large; the motel is located at the corner of two fairly busy streets. But even with this, I'd say the Buona Sera is a great place to spend a night. Rates are VERY reasonable. A bit of warning if you are trying to book your room on line through Trip Advisor's partner travel sites at the last minute: I attempted to do this, partly to see the rates, when I was sitting in the parking lot on arrival. Expedia.com told me that there were no rooms available for that night; I walked into the office and was told there were plenty of rooms. So, if you are attempting to reserve on line and are told that rooms are not available, I'd suggest you phone the motel directly.

Room Tip: Discuss room choices with the owners, based on your preference. They will guide you to the best room...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Susan A

Reviewed October 2, 2011

This place was absolutely great. Just needed a place to crash for the night on our way through. The lady there was so sweet and personable. We were easy to check in quickly, she even recommend places to get food late at night and made sure we had everything we needed. Place had a very relaxing vine and the room was very cute and welcoming.

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank missmcawesome
Reviewed September 19, 2011

My husband wanted something other than the 'standard hotel/motel' during our trip to Vancouver, Wa. We found it at Buona Sera Inn in Grants Pass Oregon! This delightful motel, in an Italian motif, was more like a B & B. The grand hospitality which Irene and Peter lavished upon us was only exceeded by their enthusiasm in general for all of their guests. Our trip was delayed several hours; we called and Peter said, "...not to worry, they'd be waiting for us...". Sure enough, we were greeted by Irene, and Noel, their mascot bichon, upon our arrival. We were exhausted, and her kindness and caring during our check-in made all the difference. The room looked as though it had been directly imported from Italy, only larger and better equiped! The king bed was superior in comfort. This motel has to have walls of cinder-block! We couldn't hear a thing, and the motel is right on one of the main streets. The following morning, I took our dog, Gracie, for a nice, long walk from right outside of our room. Lovely streets, flowers blooming, cedars and pine trees everywhere.....thank you for this great escape! Laurlynn & Buz

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank L E
Reviewed September 13, 2011

Late pulling in, and found that for a minimal price, we stayed in a clean, quiet (even tho the road was close) and comfortable place. owners were on hand and nice!

Room Tip: see pics - we stayed in Tranquility room
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank cincinSeattle
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Stayed here for two nights - this place is so quaint and cute and clean - we own a bed and breakfast so was really having a hard time choosing a place to stay until i read the reviews. The owner was very helpful in helping us choose the right two rooms that we needed. They are so friendly and they keep this place spotless. You will love it - when we return to Grants Pass we will definitely be staying there again.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 7, 2011

I just came back from my trip to Redwood and Crater Lake NPs with my wife. We stayed at Buona Sera Inn for one night, and we really like this lovely small motel. The room is clean and bed is comfortable. The owner is very friendly, though we are a little behind our schedule and got them almost at midnight. I think we made a great choice, feel very cozy and relaxed during our stay here.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 2, 2011

I have been making use of TA for several years and I have found that if one takes a "consensus" view of the reviews it is an invaluable guide. However, I regret to say that in this case, having just re-read the reviews after my stay, that at the Buona Sera Inn I did not get quite what I had hoped for and expected. Most important to me (a light sleeper) and my wife (a moderate to good sleeper) is quiet. When making my reservation I asked the woman owner about noise and she re-assured me. I had also read all of the TA reviews in full, and out of 40 or so reviews, I think only one mentioned traffic noise, and several reviews described the place as quiet.

The problem is that Buona Sera fronts 99, the main arterial street in downtown Grants Pass. Indeed the rooms are not set back very far from 99. Arriving in early mid afternoon, as politely as I could, I raised the issue with the owners. They assured me that the room was quiet, and the woman said that noise was something that was "just in ones head." She said the noise would die down and indeed with the TV on it was not too bad. However, shortly after 5.00 AM I, and my wife, were awakened by a constant stream of traffic. In fairness two things: 1) When I raised the of noise on arrival the owners offered to allow me to cancel my reservation--but I was not about to go hunting for rooms on Friday afternoon evening in peak season at such a major stopping off point; 2) Many, or most, of the motels/hotels in Grants Pass are near I5 or 99. I have concluded that I will not stay in Grants Pass again. If I need to stopover in S. Oregon again I would go to Cave Junction on 199 if going on to the coast (as one reviewer mentioned), or stay at some other town in S. Oregon if continuing on I5 such as Ashland or Medford.

The rooms were clean and well furnished, and the price was very reasonable, though not a steal. The continental breakfast was pretty bare bones by today's standards.

If early morning traffic noise does not bother you then maybe this is a place to consider. I also appreciate that the owners have put a lot into this motel over many years, but at the end of the day what matters, at least to me, is a good night's sleep.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family